NAD M51 vs C510

I'm having a hard time understanding something - I'm shopping around for a new DAC, and the NAD M51 comes highly rated. About a year ago, NAD released the C510 with identical specs. However, it's $500 cheaper than the M51 with the difference being the M51 boasts a better power supply. I asked the sales rep what that means in the real world, and he literally said "I couldn't tell you." So if the 2 units have literally identical data sheets, what does one get with an improved PSU? Specs below, from the service manual for each unit:

M51:

Rated distortion (THD+N with AES 17 flter) <0.0005% (ref. 1 kHz 0 dBFS)
<0.002% (ref. 1 kHz -60 dBFS)
IM distortion <0.0001%
Signal-to-noise ratio < -123 dB (ref. 0 dBFS 2V out)
Channel separation > -115 dB (ref. 0 dBFS Volume -1dB)
Sample rate 32 kHz to 192 kHz (USB and digital S/PDIF)
Frequency response ±0.5 dB (ref. 20 Hz – 96 kHz @ 192 KHz sample rate)
Output level 2V (ref. input 0dBFS)

C510:

Rated distortion (THD+N with AES 17 flter) <0.0005% (0dBFS)
<0.002% (-60dBFS)
IMD Distortion 0.0001%
Signal/Noise Ratio <-123dB (ref. 0dBFS 2V out)
Channel Separation >-115dB (ref. 0dBFS Volume -1dB)
Sample Rate 32kHz to 192kHz (USB and digital S/PDIF)
Frequency Response ±0.5dB (ref. 20Hz - 96kHz @ 192kHz sample rate)
Output Level 2V (ref. input 0dBFS)
caustic386

Showing 4 responses by caustic386

I've never heard one of these, so I cannot comment on sound quality.

Your input is valuable nonetheless - thank you!!
Would more headroom assist at lower volumes if properly implemented?  Hypothetically of course - I agree firsthand listening is the only way to know.   I'm also currently demo'ing a Benchmark DAC2 which is absolutely excellent at lower volumes (important distinction when you have a newborn in the house).
Interesting idea - I never would've thought to look at the internals, mainly because I have no idea what I'm looking at.  Thinking through both poster's points about Digital Pre vs. DAC - they seem to have the same feature set.  Same # of inputs, outputs, etc. - no room correction, effects or anything like that.  With that in mind, what constitutes one as a pre vs simply a DAC (marketing aside)?

"High end" audio is so confusing...
It's unlikely I'll ever do away with my preamp so the M51 is perfect for me...  If you think it will serve preamp duty for your digital sources the 510 may be better.
It sounds like we'd be in a similar situation - literally my only source is a HTPC, so for all intents it would also serve as my "source."  Interesting that you have a pre with no remote volume - I don't think I've ever seen that?  (unless you just lost the remote :)