NAD C375Bee or Yamaha A-S2000

I'm looking for good sounding powerful amp to drive my classic Theil CS2 and Klipsh Heresy's. I can get either of these amps around $1300 even thought the Yamaha sells for $1900. Which would be better? Any other integrated amps I should consider around $1200?
Thanks,
usrobo

Showing 2 responses by soniqmike

With all due respect, very few have actually seen and heard the new-generation Yamaha AS2000 as they are scarce and seemingly expensive - until you hear one. You might be in for a small shock here. I have done some extensive listening with this amplifier, as well as with the NAD. The NAD is ALWAYS the proverbial contender in this price bracket and it is wise to audition it.

So, not to offend anyone, the NAD is very nice and has those great value-for-your-buck values. Its a great buy, like all Nad products.

But the SOUND, build quality (simply amazing) and overall package,(not to mention the stunning looks)of the Yammaha puts it in a different league, and it is actually a bit unfair to compare the two. The Yammy is so much better and more refined it is not even close - at least with speakers that can exploit its full potential.

Full disclosure: I have auditionned those amps with speakers that should usually be partered with 5K and up amps, and they clearly pointed the limitations of the NAD.

This may not happen with more average speakers and the differences between the two amps may not show as much sonically, but they are surely present and obvious. One thing for sure, even in the ''off'' position, the build quality and features of Yammy comes out way ahead of the NAD - and most every other amp in this price range for that matter.

I would rate the Nait 5 highly also - but it will run out of steam pretty quickly compared to the Yam, and of course has very limited features comparatively. I would say the Nait is a ''faster'' amp, but with a somewhat dryer sound and a (much) flatter soundstage, where the Yam is more authoritative and a touch smoother.
Comparing within the Yamaha quality,I have compared the 2000 versus the 1000 in both integrateds and cd players.

I came to the conclusion that the A S-2000 has more refined sonics and is more resolving than the S-1000 (still a nice amp!). The gap is wide enough to warrant the price difference.

As far as cd players go, I could not detect a trace of difference between the CD-S1000 and the CD-S2000, except for the XLR outputs for the 2000. As far as sound quality goes, they sounded identical.