NAD C372 versatility?

I'm thinking it's time to add a preamp to my setup. I currently have a NAD 372 integrated. Would I gain more adding a 162 preamp and using the 372 as the power or using my 372 as the pre and getting a 272 power amp? Any other suggestions for gear? My sources are a NAD 542 CD player, Pro-Ject Debut III/Ortofon Blue table, and an older NAD tuner. Thanks.
jtuba

Showing 1 response by akg_ca

I had the predecessor model NAD C370 in a prior B system and I am very familiar with its strengths and warts.

In short:

Don't waste your time or your money with your proposed plan. It wont help.

It's a good piece ..... AT ITS price-point, but IMO strong opinion, your proposed plan won't help in solving whatever you think is lacking any case and may actually set you back if you revert to cheap build ICs to marry them up.

The only improvements that I made that actually mattered and actually worked, was to replace:

(a) the standard NAD very cheap POS pre-to-power jumpers on the back panel with formal quality short length RCA Interconnects.

(b)the internal hardwired cheap quality power cord. I took the integrated amp to a professional tech who dremmelled out the back plate to size, cut out the hardwired POS quality power cord, then soldered in a quality female IEC to formally accept an external power cord; and I now attached quality $150 range external power cable.
More to discover