NAD 533 Rega P2 worth upgrading?

Wondering if it be worth it to throw some money into my NAD 533 table? Knowing that my phono preamp could use an upgrade as well as my amp, I'm just toying with where to spend money.

I'd like to get more volume and presence out of my system.

As far as what I am looking as as far as money-

table upgrades
$300-$500 on phono preamp
$750ish on amp
captainchunk

Showing 1 response by stefanl

I have a Rega P2 that I have modded which is equivalent to your table.First do the arm,rewire it with an Isokinetic rewire from English ebay,they are about the cheapest.Then do the counterweight mod replacing the plastic end stub and change the weight.I have no particular recommendation here,there are a lot of ones out there so look around.Change the platter to a heavier Acrylic or PVC one,a local plastics manufacturer can do it for you cheaply.I am trying PVC at the moment which seems to outdo Acrylic it's your call.I changed the capacitor and resistor in the circuit for the motor you can do a motor upgrade but I'm sceptical.You can damp under the plinth,Music Direct online sell a cheap kit for Rega which you can use.Leave the feet unless you think you have found a solution!There is a sub-platter upgrade,you can change out the old plastic one for an accurately machined aluminium one,once again the Isokinetic from England is good value,I think he might still sell them here on Audiogon.Change the steel ball for a phospher bronze one in the hub for better wear if you want.You can get Isokinetic's new hub also with the sub-platter upgrade but I think it is a bit expensive.It might be worth it.That's a start.