NAD 375 or NAIM 5i or NAIM Unite Qute

I inherited the following system:

Arcam alpha 7se CD player

harmon kardon AVR 120

b&w 303 bookshelves

monster power conditioner

It was an HUGE upgrade to what I was using before. Its been a joy listening to music again and exploring the new details and such. It's been 7 months and I've been thinking about where else I can take the sound. It's been fun to learn more about the hobby.

After researching and visiting local audio shops it's become clear that the HK is the weak link. I really only want a 2 channel system. No radio. I'm looking for advice and thoughts on amps. I'm thinking an integrated amp. Although I've never heard tube. These are the two amps I'm looking at now:

NAD 375 (new, $1200 + 13% tax)

Naim Nait 5i (used $850)

Considering Unite Qute

I want to get more out of my b&w's but I'm sure I'll want to upgrade speakers in the next year or two. So I want to be prepared for that with my next amp purchase.

A couple of other things that I've been thinking about is the whole tube option and whether I even want to go down that route. From what I've read it's a warmer sound , which sounds interesting to me. But more money and maybe more maintenance.

Secondly, high res music. I don't currently own any but wow I heard it at one of the shops and I know I'll want to get into that. Should I be considering that in my amp purchase?

-----

My music tastes - from Zeppelin to Elvis, vocals, acoustic, soul, blues, classical , hip hop.

Interested in live sound, 3d imaging sound stage, non fatiguing , joy of listening, soul moving.

Thanks in advance!!
deetothevee

Showing 8 responses by deetothevee

Thanks! Do these amps actually have different sounds. I'm so new to this it's a bit overwhelming. I know I will want to upgrade speakers in a year or two. Probably towers. Can you elaborate on the two?
Thanks so much everyone! I think the only way for me to do this is to test amps out. I'm so new to this that I don't know the different characteristics of sound from each amp because I haven't listened to them yet!!

I'd rather buy used so it makes things a bit more difficult as I don't want to have sales people help me without an intention to buy, although I might do it once or twice to get my feet wet.

Xti: It's interesting what you're saying about speakers. But I haven't even looked into speakers. So I think for me, to see the biggest difference, I need to replace my Harmon Kardon avr 120. Or do you think that different speakers would make just as much of an improvement as an upgraded amp?

Muzikat: There is no email function that I see on the site in your username page. I'll email you, thanks !
Thanks Paraneer. I just realized that I can't connect my Apple TV to any of these amps. That being said, what do you think of the NAD 356EEE DAC? Although it only does 24/96 res files. It could be good for me for now and I can upgrade the DAC in the future.

Should I stick with value/convenience, or am I going to get more enjoyment sonically from the Rega Brio-R or Bryston b60?

I would say my sonic preferences are in instrument separation, clarity, Sounstage/imaging. At least as far as I can tell as a newbie.
Thanks Paraneer!! If I was to get a more affordable DAC such as the Audioengine D1 paired with the Brio-r, how would that compare with the NAD 356 DAC?

Or maybe the question is how does the NAD DAC compare to the Audioengine?
Paraneer, thanks for your perspective. I still haven't had a chance to listen to the darn amps with my speakers let alone with any speakers. I was supposed to go today but the dealer didn't answer the phone!

I want to make sure that I like the sound. If it's not much of a difference, the NAD makes more sense on many levels. But of course if I really love the Brio-r's sound then I would go with them.

Guess I have to wait to get a listening session first and possibly miss out on the two on the used market.
I've listened to both. I found the Brio-r a bit more refined. Little more detailed. I found a bit more harshness with some of the treble on the NAD. The NAD had a lot of "attack", coming at you. The Brio-r had it too but not to the same degree IMO. Overall I like the Brio-r sound better. Still haven't made a decision.

In regards to the DAC, you mentioned that you are using the DAC in the home theatre system. How are you sending the digital file? I'm just trying to understand this as a novice. I wasn't aware that there are DAC's in a home theatre receiver.
Zd542 - Thanks for the advice and affirmation that I'm on the right track with this. It's very fun, and addictive.

I'm actually coming to the conclusion that I am preferring the NAD lineup for now. I really liked the dynamic range. But more importantly, I think, that the combination of the Dynaudio Focus 160's will lessen the harshness in the highs I mentioned before. I believe it was the B&W's that were taking it overboard. A huge part of the NAD option is the price. I can always upgrade later to a more "musical" option such as Rega or Naim (do any of these amps equal the dynamic range that the NAD possesses?).

When I listened to the Brio-r it was with a Naim CD player. I've also listened to Harbeth speakers with audiolab amp, audio lap dac, airport express. I listened to the Dyn Focus 160's with a moon 220 amp. You're right, all the other parts have an impact, so trying to make sense of it all can be tricky, but I think I'm getting decent at it.

I feel comfortable with choosing the speaker first. It seems to have the biggest impact on the sound characteristic of the whole system. So I'll start there, then start to add the other components such as amp and Dac.