NAD 317 trouble HELP

I have been having a problem with my NAD 317 amp. Seems that the left side of the power amp has an issue, where out of the clear blue sky, it makes a nasty static noise, and will eventually trip the protect circuit. The condition is independent of any setting, be it volume, input, etc. The real kicker is that I have had it in the shop (Saturday Audio) twice now, and the thing won't act up for them! Anyone else have a similar problem? What was the fix? Any hints would be GREAT! THANKS!
plagtr2

Showing 1 response by rqwer3c20

Better late than never... I am currently experiencing something similar: The left channel outputs static noise whenever the input is non-zero. I.e. pausing a CD removes the noise, but even the weakest input signal such as a quiet intro or "silence" in a DVD-movie triggers a cascade of white noise which is ubearable to listen to. It does not trip the protect circuit, though.

It's definitely not the speaker (switched them and even tried a different pair: the noise still appears in left channel). I've just had the amp on repair and they apparently could not reproduce the problem there. But they did replace some internal cables to fix something that was a known problem with the 317 (they said), except when I got home the static was still there...

I'm thinking maybe the noise is caused by radio-frequency spikes from other household appliances, either going by air and being picked up by the signal cables, or going through the power-grid in my apartment. That would explain why they didn't get the same in the shop. But why something like that should cause noise in the left channel only and not the right channel I really don't know...

If it's not something external as I'm guessing then it must be generated inside the amp by a faulty component, but then surely they would also have heard it in the shop?

Anyone suggestions?