Mytek Manhattan or Berkeley Alpha or PS Audio Direct Stream

Now that I have some extra time on my hands for listening, I have decided to upgrade my DAC.  My present DAC is the Naim DAC-V1, which cost around $2500.  While it has preamp & headphone amp functions, I am using it only as a DAC.  My source is ripped CDs, via a Naim Uniti Core ripper. I have no interest in streaming, so all the add ons that allow streaming are not important to me.  The DAC runs into a Conrad Johnson preamp into a Primaluna amp driving Maggies.  I listen to mostly acoustic folk/rock, female vocals and acoustic jazz/blues.  I am a sucker for big soundstage, warm voices and detail on the acoustic instruments.

I have narrowed down the list to:

Mytek Manhattan
PS Audio Direct Stream
Berkeley Alpha

All of these are series 2, or II, but I am omitting these suffixes for brevity.  Just know I am looking at the latest models.

i have favorable impressions of all, based upon some listening at trade shows and/or dealers, limited by unfamiliar mating components and rooms. My budget is in the $5-7k range, although the Berkeley is a bit less. I will consider broken in (used) for a few dollars less.

I am wondering if anyone has experience actually comparing any two of these units? Or if you own one, why did you choose it and what did you not buy? Or if you seriously considered one of these, only to buy something different, what did you buy instead.

I’ll throw one more thought into this. I have considered the moon simaudio 650, which is in the price range, and is a transport and DAC in the same chassis, as adding a transport back into my system in not without merit.  But my decision will be based upon the DAC only, as I could add a transport other ways.

thanks, 

Bill
meiatflask
This may or may not be helpful to you, but I owned the Manhattan II for about 6 weeks and thought it sounded great.  It allowed me to love digital music (I have put most of my resources into building a class A analog set up in the past 5 years).  
The unit stopped working so I sent it back to the dealer with the plan of either getting a brand new unit in exchange or having that one repaired.  I didn't want to wait 6 weeks to get it back so I asked them to send me the Brooklyn DAC+ to listen to in the mean time.  
I must say I do not miss the Manhattan.  The Brooklyn (to me) sounds 95% as good as the Manhattan did.  I use it only as a DAC, but the Brooklyn has a very good headphone amp and phone amp built in.  I might try these features some day but as far as the DAC goes I'm very satisfied.  At a third of the price of the Manhattan, I'm blown away.  
My advice is to find a dealer you can buy from who accepts returns.  Music Direct is great in this regard.  No restock fees on returns within 60 days but you do have to pay the return shipping.  
Best of luck in your quest!
I hope this helps. Altho not on the same models just consider the sound signature of each manufacture. 
I own the Brooklyn and the Alpha 1

Both sound great, but I do prefer the Alpha that sounds more neutral and yes, sometimes cool. Soundstage is also wider and more 3 dimensional then the Brooklyn. 
The Brooklyn seams almost more detailed than the Alpha but I believe that may be do to being a bit colored.

I listen to different kind music and I would say that for electronic or computer made beat type music the Brooklyn sounds better. 
For a jazz instrumental trio and female vocals i prefer the Alpha. 
I have 2 systems and in my theory I want to pair the Brooklyn with class AB amp neutral speakers and the Alpha with push pull class A tube with more efficient brighter speakers. 
Lets hear if my theory is right...

Bottom line. Brooklyn, colored enhancing midrange and highs. Alpha, neutral and laid back yet still detailed with wide soundstage. 
Im curious to hear from anyone that owns the PS Audio.

Good luck and enjoy music. 
I heard the Alpha 2 in a long demo. It has a high end sound that's resolving. neutral and detailed, but I found it uninvolving and boring!

I prefer something more lyrical, I suppose, and would want something that blows my socks off for this kind of budget..  
I had the Manhattan I.  Incredible piece but not warm.  I’ve heard the PS Audio which isn’t as detailed but less clinical than the Mytek.  I haven’t heard the Berkeley.  My current DAC is Bryston DAC3 with which I am very pleased