My stereo is haunted!!

Hello Audiogoners,

I’m looking for some serious sleuthing. I cannot figure out what’s going on with my system. 

The basic system is:

• Bel Canto Ref1000M Class D mono blocks
  • Modwright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp
  • Bel Canto DAC 3
  • Either my old Rotel CD player or Cambridge transport to DAC
  • GoldenEar Triton One speakers

I liked the sound. It was just fine. Then, out of the blue, when I started the system, I’d get static that would build up until I got a loud POP out of the right speaker. How loud? My dog is now afraid of my stereo. Well, she’s not that brave…

I have tried:

• Swapping in various tubes in the preamp.
  • Sending the preamp back to Modwright for a full exam. Done for only the cost of postage- great company. 
  • Switching the channels used for each mono block. 
  • Switching the channel for each speaker. 
  • Switching out the electronics in one of my speakers (parts supplied for free from GoldenEar- great company).
  • Switched in Adcom GFA555
  • Switched in a Dynaco PAS 3 Series II preamp
  • Used all combinations of preamp/amps
  • Switched out all cabling including speaker wire
  • Added a Furman PL-8C to stop line noise
  • Tried a different circuit in my apartment
  • Tried powering off flatscreen TV, Roku, and WiFi router
  • Switched between CD transports and used the Rotel built in DAC to take the DAC out of the system
  • Tried new surge protectors and power line.
  • Tried some medium sized Klipsch speakers I had around.

Nothing has worked. Some things (like the Furman, oddly enough) have added additional hum. 

I’m fine with basic tube noise floor. Not so fine with small booms and hum.  

I’m ready to go back to my Victrola and give up on electronics all together!

Guesses? Things to try? Have a problem like this before? Thanks for any clues!

gone
Bu the way, if all else fails a good loud exorcism to handle any evil spirits that might be haunting could be worth a try (courtesy of legendary TV script writer Sam Hall). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Hall_(writer)
Maybe something like:

I command thee — whoever thou art! — thou unclean spirits which possess her body — to remove yourselves from her presence, and leave her free to become a servant of the true Lord! HEAR NOT HER BLASPHEMOUS CRIES! JUDGE NOT BY WHAT SHE SAYS! GIVE ME THE POWER TO STEP UPON THE SERPENTS AND SCORPIONS WHICH INHABIT HER! I adjure thee, foul serpent — by the judge of the quick and the dead — that thou depart in haste from this unworthy creature, that she may return to the bosom of goodness! Depart from her, ye cursed demons, into the everlasting fire which burns all evil, and leaves only the ashes of what good she once possessed! ”

That will show it! 🏆

Or not.😳

It did work quite well on TV.

OP you have swapped every component and every cable?

You have changed the AC supply location?

Use one preamp, one source and one power amp, to one pair of speakers.. LIFT the speakers off the floor if the speaker post are close to the floor.

NOW test.. If it's still only the right side, swap left to right from the preamp to the speaker amps (RCAs or XLRs). If it's still on the right.. It's the speaker.

If it moves right to left swap the source (CD, or DAC)'s RCAs or XLRs right to left, if it doesn't change. It IS THE preamp.. Send it back to the manufacture, they missed something..

Easy to check in 10 minutes you'll know.. It's not possessed.. :-)

Regards
Your Bel Canto DAC-3 is also a preamp. Try taking the Modwright out of the chain and use your DAC’s preamp section and connect the DAC-3 directly to your amp. Don’t forget to switch the volume on and lower it on the dac. See if the problem persists. 
Let me make sure I understand a couple of thigns: your speakers have a built in subwoofer AND you have swapped the monoblocks. If this is correct then wwap the speakers. If the pop follows the speaker you need it serviced.  As an alternative if your speakers play without the power cord, disconnect it from the popping side.  If it all turns on without a problem, that's also proof your problem is in your sub.

Next minor piece of advice: Leave you mono blocks on all the time. Those really sound better after 48 hours.

That will show it! 🏆

Yea but you forgot the most important part. 

Ask it's name.

AND in the name of "      ", (then their name) be gone..

THEN 

Amen, (the end)

No laughing matter. :-)

Unless your exercising a bad case of gas. Bigger :-)

Regards