My soundstage is terrible. i need help bad.

Ok i have the following pieces. Pioneer 39tx a/v reciever. I have Psb stratus silver i speakers, allantis biwire speaker cables. Tara labs vector 2 i/c. And a large subsonic 5 subwoofer. rarely used. I have little to no soundstage at all. almost sounds like a 5yrs old boom box. i dont understand which direction to go. I am going to be getting some psb stratus gold speakers here in the next 2 weeks from a buddy and im trying to get things straightened out before the new arrivals. do you think going to the better speakers will help or is it that i have everything setup wrong in the house. Cathedral ceiling home. Equipment set up on the highest wall. 26ft. and the seating postions at the lowest around 12ft about 4ft from the back wall. Im just confused on wehere to strart. My kitchen has to open doors to the right if ur sitting in my seating postion. I dont think the room is ever going to be able to give me what i want at any price. I just need some help on setup. lmk what you think i should do first. aprreciate all the info guys. this site rules. Kevin
flyin2jz
For starters, sounds like you've got large expanses of reflecting surfaces which are creating problems. I would suggest you are likely to need some acoustic treatment to solve your problems. You can contact GIK Acoustics (see their website or forum at Audiocircle.com) for a free evaluation of your room's issues. Their products are reasonably priced as well. Rives Audio also offers similar services at a higher, but pricier level. If you're not ready to go that far, I'd start with some self education by reading up on this subject at various audio internet forums dealing with acoustics. Is your room lively and "ringing" (usually bare floors, often lots of glass) when you clap your hands in there, or is it well damped with lots of carpet, drapes, upholstered furniture?
Flyin2jz,

My set-up is similar to yours as I have a Cathedral ceiling in my living room, and my equipment is set-up on high wall (no other options for set-up), and for awhile I had issues in getting a decent soundstage. I was fortunate enought that merely re-arranging the furniture in the room and adding a couple of large plants and a bookcase filled with books at the reflecting points, seem to solve the problem. And I was able to to get decent soundstaging. Like Proton46 says, you got to be able to control the reflections that are happening in your room, especially if you have a lively room. Also, has Celtic66 says you might want to try another source and/or amp and see if that helps. Good luck in getting your "soundstage issue" solved.
the other thing is...check on your speaker positioning. make sure that if they're toed in that the angle is the same, distance to rear wall is the same, etc. Small differences like that can make a huge difference.
Speaker positioning is important . You did not state where they are located in relation to the walls etc.

Try setting them up 5 or 6 feet out into the room away from the wall that is behind them . Also get them a few feet away from the side walls .

A good place to start is to set them up in an equal lateral triangle in relation to themselves and your listening position . Something like 8 feet apart and 8 feet from your listening position . Then have them aimed at your head when you are in the listening position . These measurements are just a 'for instance'. The actual measurements will be dictated by the size of your room . And don't have anything behind or between the speakers like a TV or equipment rack .

See what this initial setup does for the soundstage . You can then play with the positioning for better sound , especially the amount of toe in , or how much the speakers are or are not pointed toward your head . A small laser pointer is quite handy for this . It has been my experience that speaker positioning has the most to do with soundstaging .

Once you read up on room treatments you can play around with them at little or no cost by using blankets , coats , pillows , rugs etc.

I don't know your speakers but they seem to have a pretty good reputation . I would look for a different source of amplification if it were me . If you are just 2 channel music look for an integrated amplifier . If you want multi channel music or H/T see if you can move up to a better H/T receiver or maybe seperates . If you buy used you should be able to do these upgrades for not a bunch of money as compared to your receiver .

Speaker positioning is a pain ! But it is real cheap and can be quite rewarding !

Good luck .
You need to upgrade your receiver. Try a good integrated. If you want sound stage then search/buy equipment that is know for that trait. Add a tube dac to your front end.