My Peachtree Nova 150 MM phono stage versus a standalone MM phono preamp?

I'm trying to determine if the phono stage in my Peachtree Nova 150 is as good as any commonly available < $500 (my max budget) phono preamps. 

I have a U-Turn Orbit turntable with an Ortofon Red cartridge connected to the Peachtree phono stage via Audioquest Cinnamon RCA cables and it sounds pretty good. But I'm also curious whether a standalone phono preamp up to $500 would be better than what I already have?

When it comes to specs for a phono stage what are the most important numbers to look at and compare? Should I consider replacing my Ortofon Red cartridge with something better first? Or just save the $ and use it to purchase more vinyl because the hardware I have is good enough?
rfross
  • First off from my personal experience owning a Nova 150, I found my Lehman black cube surpassed the phono stage in the Peachtree. Using the Peachtree stock stage sounded dull, and less dynamic, lacking the vibrant highs and details of the black cube se. Using the stock Nova phono was homogenous in that it sounded much like the digital stages, minus the benefits of digital, and the added detractors of vinyl. I ran a First gen. clearaudio maestro wood cartridge with mahogany colored body and the boron canteliever. TT was a a direct drive Kenwood KD750, so pretty decent analog. Having owned an ortophon red on a project table at one time sounded very bright and thin on the bottom. Using a ortophon mc3 turbo was a big improvement, way warmer, richer, and no listening fatigue as with the ortophon red.

Just my experience, take it with a grain of salt. My speakers are NHT 3.3 which are prone to be bright, and eat gobs of power, so I prefer bigger amps and electronics with a warmer, heavier sound character to mate with them.