My Long List of Amplifiers and My Personal Review of Each!

So I have been in a long journey looking to find the best amplifiers for my martin logan montis. As you know, the match between an amplifier and speakers has to be a good "marriage" and needs to be blend exquisitely. Right now, I think I might have found the best sounding amplifier for martin logan. I have gone through approximately 34-36 amplifiers in the past 12 months. Some of these are:

Bryston ST, SST, SST2 series
NAD M25
PARASOUND HALO
PARASOUND CLASSIC
KRELL TAS
KRELL KAV 500
KRELL CHORUS
ROTEL RMB 1095
CLASSE CT 5300
CLASSE CA 2200
CLASSE CA 5200
MCINTOSH MC 205
CARY AUDIO CINEMA 7
OUTLAW AUDIO 755
LEXICON RX7
PASS LABS XA 30.8
BUTLER AUDIO 5150
ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005

With all that said, the amplifiers I mentioned above are the ones that in my opinion are worth mentioning. To make a long story short, there is NO 5 CHANNEL POWER AMP that sounds as good as a 3ch and 2ch amplifier combination. i have done both experiments and the truth is that YOU DO lose details and more channel separation,etc when you select a 5 channel power amplifier of any manufacturer.
My recollection of what each amp sounded like is as follows:

ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005 (great power and amazing soundstage. Very low noise floor, BUT this amplifiers NEEDS TO BE cranked up in order to fully enjoy it. If you like listening at low volume levels or somewhat moderate, you are wasting your time here. This amp won’t sound any different than many other brands out there at this volume. The bass is great, good highs although they are a bit bright for my taste)

NAD M25 (very smooth, powerful, but somewhat thin sounding as far as bass goes)
Bryston sst2(detailed, good soundstage, good power, but can be a little forward with certain speakers which could make them ear fatiguing at loud volumes)

Krell (fast sounding, nice bass attack, nice highs, but some detail does get lost with certain speakers)

rotel (good amp for the money, but too bright in my opinion)

cary audio (good sound overall, very musical, but it didn’t have enough oomph)

parasound halo (good detail, great bass, but it still holds back some background detail that i can hear in others)

lexicon (very laid back and smooth. huge power, but if you like more detail or crisper highs, this amp will disappoint you)

McIntosh mc205 (probably the worst multichannel amp given its price point. it was too thin sounding, had detail but lacked bass.

butler audio (good amplifier. very warm and smooth sweet sounding. i think for the money, this is a better amp than the parasound a51)

pass labs (very VERY musical with excellent bass control. You can listen to this for hours and hours without getting ear fatigue. however, it DOES NOT do well in home theater applications if all you have is a 2 channel set up for movies. The midrange gets somewhat "muddy" or very weak sounding that you find yourself trying to turn it up.

classe audio (best amplifier for multi channel applications. i simply COULDNT FIND a better multi channel amplifier PERIOD. IT has amazing smoothness, amazing power and good bass control although i would say krell has much better bass control)

Update: The reviews above were done in January 2015. Below is my newest update as of October 2016:

PS AUDIO BHK 300 MONOBLOCKS: Amazing amps. Tons of detail and really amazing midrange. the bass is amazing too, but the one thing i will say is that those of you with speakers efficiency of 87db and below you will not have all the "loudness" that you may want from time to time. These amps go into protection mode when using a speaker such as the Salon, but only at very loud levels. Maybe 97db and above. If you don’t listen to extreme crazy levels, these amps will please you in every way.

Plinius Odeon 7 channel amp: This is THE BEST multichannel amp i have ever owned. Far , but FAR SUPERIOR to any other multichannel amp i have owned. In my opinion it destroyed all of the multichannel amps i mentioned above and below. The Odeon is an amp that is in a different tier group and it is in a league of its own. Amazing bass, treble and it made my center channel sound more articulate than ever before. The voices where never scrambled with the action scenes. It just separated everything very nicely.

Theta Dreadnaught D: Good detailed amp. Looks very elegant, has a pleasant sound, but i found it a tad too bright for my taste. I thought it was also somewhat "thin" sounding lacking body to the music. could be that it is because it is class d?

Krell Duo 300: Good amp. Nice and detailed with enough power to handle most speakers out there. I found that it does have a very nice "3d" sound through my electrostatics. Nothing to fault here on this amp.
Mark Levinson 532H: Great 2 channel amp. Lots of detail, amazing midrange which is what Mark Levinson is known for. It sounds very holographic and will please those of you looking for more detail and a better midrange. As far as bass, it is there, but it is not going to give you the slam of a pass labs 350.5 or JC1s for example. It is great for those that appreciate classical music, instrumental, etc, but not those of you who love tons of deep bass.

It is articulate sounding too
Krell 7200: Plenty of detail and enough power for most people. i found that my rear speakers contained more information after installed this amp. One thing that i hated is that you must use xlr cables with this amp or else you lose most of its sound performance when using RCA’s.

Krell 402e: Great amp. Very powerful and will handle any speaker you wish. Power is incredible and with great detail. That said, i didn’t get all the bass that most reviewers mentioned. I thought it was "ok" in regards to bass. It was there, but it didn’t slam me to my listening chair.

Bryston 4B3: Good amp with a complete sound. I think this amp is more laid back than the SST2 version. I think those of you who found the SST2 version of this amp a little too forward with your speakers will definitely benefit from this amp’s warmth. Bryston has gone towards the "warm" side in my opinion with their new SST3 series. As always, they are built like tanks. I wouldn’t call this amp tube-like, but rather closer to what the classe audio delta 2 series sound like which is on the warm side of things.

Parasound JC1s: Good powerful amps. Amazing low end punch (far superior bass than the 402e). This amp is the amp that i consider complete from top to bottom in regards to sound. Nothing is lacking other than perhaps a nicer chassis. Parasound needs to rework their external appearance when they introduce new amps. This amp would sell much more if it had a revised external appearance because the sound is a great bang for the money. It made my 800 Nautilus scream and slam. Again, amazing low end punch.

Simaudio W7: Good detailed amp. This amp reminds me a lot of the Mark Levinson 532h. Great detail and very articulate. I think this amp will go well with bookshelves that are ported in order to compensate for what it lacks when it comes to the bass. That doesn’t mean it has no bass, but when it is no Parasound JC1 either.
Pass labs 350.5: Wow, where do i begin? maybe my first time around with the xa30.8 wasn’t as special as it was with this monster 350.5. It is just SPECTACULAR sounding with my electrostatics. The bass was THE BEST BASS i have ever heard from ANY amp period. The only amp that comes close would be the jC1s. It made me check my settings to make sure the bass was not boosted and kept making my jaw drop each time i heard it. It totally destroyed the krell 402e in every regard. The krell sounded too "flat" when compared to this amp. This amp had amazing mirange with great detail up top. In my opinion, this amp is the best bang for the money. i loved this amp so much that i ended up buying the amp that follows below.

Pass labs 250.8: What can i say here. This is THE BEST STEREO AMP i have ever heard. This amp destroys all the amps i have listed above today to include the pass labs 350.5. It is a refined 350.5 amp. It has more 3d sound which is something the 350.5 lacked. It has a level of detail that i really have never experienced before and the bass was amazing as well. I really thought it was the most complete power amplifier i have ever heard HANDS DOWN. To me, this is a benchmark of an amplifier. This is the amp that others should be judged by. NOTHING is lacking and right now it is the #1 amplifier that i have ever owned.

My current amps are Mcintosh MC601s: i decided to give these 601s a try and they don’t disappoint. They have great detail, HUGE soundstage, MASSIVE power and great midrange/highs. The bass is great, but it is no pass labs 250.8 or 350.5. As far as looks, these are the best looking amps i have ever owned. No contest there. i gotta be honest with you all, i never bought mcintosh monos before because i wasn’t really "wowed" by the mc452, but it could have been also because at that time i was using a processor as a preamp which i no longer do. Today, i own the Mcintosh C1100 2 chassis tube preamp which sounds unbelievable. All the amps i just described above have been amps that i auditioned with the C1100 as a preamp. The MC601s sound great without a doubt, but i will say that if you are looking for THE BEST sound for the money, these would not be it. However, Mcintosh remains UNMATCHED when it comes to looks and also resale value. Every other amp above depreciates much faster than Mcintosh.

That said, my future purchase (when i can find a steal of a deal) will be the Pass labs 350.8. I am tempted to make a preliminary statement which is that i feel this amp could be THE BEST stereo amp under 30k dollars. Again, i will be able to say more and confirm once i own it. I hope this update can help you all in your buying decisions!

128x128jays_audio_lab

Showing 50 responses by psnyder149

I think that the biggest offender that color the sound in speakers are

GRILLCLOTHS…

especially those orangy - rust colored ones from the early 70’s.

Jay, your system has gone to a completely different level. Before, you could always easily tell you were listening to a microphone recording of a system playing. It is sounding so good now, this is no longer clear. Two thumbs way up.

Holy hand grenades Batman, it’s not just the footers that are in place…. It’s the whole enchilada!  POW!  Knocked me right out of my socks!!!

Really sounds great…

I see, while I was writing and prior to posting that @thezaks does not think that this is a "Butt-Kicking" so that evens things out for the start:

2-2

Oh, and before this goes to far...  are you accepting the wager?

New polling request...

"What qualifies as a butt-kicking?"

The stage is set:

1 challenge with 3 samples taken as a whole.

Do these combined results qualify as a "Butt-kicking"?  

Interested readers want to know?

The data:

presentation 1:  45-55% -- 20% more for mystery amp

presentation 2:  41-59% -- 45% more for mystery amp

presentation 3:  37-63% --70% more for mystery amp

My vote (and let's all assume...! Krens vote):  BUTT-KICKING.

Put another way:  If you were going to Vegas and playing a game where the long term stats in a game, which side would you bet on and would you play that game a lot?   Would you play any other game!???  Would you bet on the Rouge???:  BUTT-KICKING.

Anyone else want to weigh in?  Viber thinks Kren and I are outliers on this matter?  How do all of you feel?

Are any of you looking to trade in your high dollar amps for Rouge? 

my prediction...:  BUTT-KICKING

Viber, As we have privately discussed.  Your preferences are your own:  not right or wrong.  But your preferences are in the strong minority, at least for people on this thread.  I suspect people that read this thread are less interested in good sounding budget products like the Rouge and--likely--the AHB2.  I think more of us are interested in fantastic SOTA prducts, regardless of whether or not we will be able to ever afford them.  There are dozens of places to read about good sounding budget equipment.  Very few places to read about high end pieces where the reviewers are not beholden to ad revenue or retailer biases (i.e. I like what I sell...).

One David vs. Goliath challenge was fun.  David got crushed.  None of his stone found it's mark.  I want to see Goliath vs. Goliath!  I suspect I am not in the minority of this threads readers.

Let's add a wager to the results:  If the readers of this thread deem the Rouge shootout as a Butt-Kicking then Viber has to restrict his posts to 1 per week for the next 6 months.  If the readers don't agree to Butt-Kicking then Kren and I have to restrict our posts to no more than 1 per week for the next 6 months.

Deal?

Starting score:  Rouge didn't get it's Butt Kicked:  1  BUTT-KICKING:  2

ron17 and WCSS,

IMHO...  Once you exit the world of lo-fi/mass market or even mid-fi, the 50% speaker rule can almost never reasonably make sense except unless you are putting together the most basic system.  In 1972, I expect that the 50% speaker rule may have been relied upon... Then Ivor Tiefenbrun turned the hi-fi world upside down when he introduced the Linn Sondek LP12 with the belief that the source was the most important part of a system and as such should command the most (or at least equal parts) of the budget.  

Consider this:  $10,000 (retail pricing only) system:  $5,000 speakers (by rule…),  SimAudio ACE (all in one) $3,400 with $1,500 in cables and it would sound really nice...  

But I bet those same $5,000 speakers would sound even better with a $5000 amp, a $5000 pre/pro (or even separate pre/dac, a $2500 network server/streamer, $2500 subwoofer, $5,000 in cables/isolation etc.  Or you could even go a different direction and spend $5,000 on a turntable, arm and cartridge and $2,500 for a phonostage.  Yes, now it is a $35,000 system, but the same speakers could still be sounding really great... although admittedly, I wouldn't be surprised if the next move would be to a $15000 pair of speakers!  The problem with the ACE is that it offers little possibility for moving forward in an incremental way without largely starting over.  With amp, pre-amp, streamer all in one box, speaker cable and PC and isolation is more or less all you can do.

My personal experience is that to maximize marginal benefits and really get the most out of all of the components, there needs to be a certain balance and harmony.  I'm not saying it has to be this way but I more or less have equal money in the following groupings:  source components (phono and digital combined), pre amp/amp, speakers with each comprising approximately 10-20% of my system cost...  

The crazy thing is that the nearly 50% left over in my system after components is on accessories:  cables (PC, IC, SC, USB, ethernet), power supply treatment and mechanical isolation…much to Ivor’s disapproval!  Most of my accessories category was spent after I had purchased my main components (although I did have a reasonable MIT cable loom so I wasn't starting from scratch).  With every additional accessory or cable upgrade the overall sound of my system improved.  

I'm pretty sure that absolutely nobody had accessories in mind as the head of the 50% rule, in fact I can't believe that my system has ended up this way, but if you told me I had to cut 50% out of one of my categories, the one I could most easily cut... is speakers.  My current speakers have "little brothers" that sold for 1/3 of my current speakers, and previously, I owned a pair.  I wouldn't choose to go back, but if I had to choose "one thing", that would be my choice... and it would be a quite easy choice!

Let the firestorm of retorts begin!!!!  lol

@divertit,

It wasn't 60/40...  it was 60/40, 3 times in a row over YT in a double blind test.  And where the better the rest of the system became (i.e. with the Soulution preamp), the more lopsided the result 63/37.  So clear were the differences that even Viber openly recognized and named which was which in all 3 cases but that he "preferred" his amp.  Differences were readily apparent over YT, which ought to mask or obscure them.  Indeed, as Kren reminded us in Jay's assessment. In person, mystery Amp was better in every way.  It ought to be... it cost 20-30x as much.  But this shootout was never about value... that is... the competition was between a cost no object and cheap components with the claim being that cheap killed the giant.  It did not.  Definitively, repeatedly and backed up Jay's buying decision to send it back and... not buy it.  Redundantly...  BUTT-KICKING

@thezaks,

I agree with all of your points.  In fact, I thought that the results would be close to random.  They were far from random.  Of course preferences are individual dependent and there are a wide variety of perspectives.  I suspect that many of the 40% chose the less expensive amp less because of inherent quality but because with the limitations of YT, computer speakers, etc. the apparent brightness probably sounded clearer and more immediate which upon much closer listening through highly resolving headphones or on a highly resolving stereo revealed the distortions and limitations of all but the best Class D amp(s).  My guess is that were they hearing in person, it would be a difference > than 90/10.  Again, Kren's description of Jay's experience wasn't that in some areas 1 bested the other and vice versa and therefore one had to choose which limitations a buyer would accept.  It was that the Rouge was bested in all areas, even if the Rouge sounded better than one might expect.  It was not a giant killer.  It was killed by the giant. 

But isn't that what most of us really want?  If a $10K system, could perform at the level of a $1,000,000 system, there wouldn't be any reason for high end to exist.  Jay is correct, the better you get, the more you have to pay for that incremental improvement, and even then there is always something better... Isn't that what makes this fun and allows for a thread to be on it's 371'st page and more than 5 years running?

Thanks for the supportive words @zprr, 

Recently, I have also paid a great deal of attention to my digital "supply" side but I still have my previous setup available for comparison.  

I moved from an Aurender N100H--which is a very competent and musical sounding server/streamer to a NAS/Roon Nucleus+ setup.  I initially made this transition so that I had better backup, easier editing capabilities, whole house (Sonos) music and thought that money wise, it would be a matter of less than $1000...  How wrong I was!  

My initial results sounded terrible.  So I embarked on a journey that included:  upgrading nucleus + wall wart power supply to a Keces P8 linear power supply ($700 and a phenomenal impact), supplied with a Nordost Frey 2 PC, upgrading all relevant ethernet cables to Heimdall 2 (x3 cables--I was just shocked at what an improvement these made), sort Kones under both Keces and Nucleus+.  Also, I reconfigured my home ethernet/wifi system and upgraded from a 80 mB AT&T to 1 TB WOW Internet provider.  All along my USB interconnect was a Tyr 2 having upgraded over the past years from Blue Heaven ($250) to Heimdall 2 ($499) to Tyr 2 ($1299).  If I could afford it, I would go for the Valhalla 2 USB which is just incredible. 

With these changes, my "server" went from unlistenable (harsh, lacking authority, no depth--like there was a layer of grunge on everything) to easily besting the sound of the Aurender.  But in retail dollars the 2 setups (including isolation and connecting cables) went from $7500 to $12000.  

I am curious to find out if upgrading routers/switches and their commensurate power supplies would result in further improvements.

But bringing this back full circle:  My speakers are ProAc Response 5 which originally retailed for around $14,000 so about the same as my "server".  The other ProAcs that I have owned were Response 3 ($6000) and Response 2.5 ($4,500) which I still believe to have been one of the best values in bang for the bucks I have ever heard on speakers.

I would love to have a nice set of Wilson's or Sonus Fabers that would "moderate" speaker expense ratio, however I am quite happy with the ProAcs and next major upgrades are likely to be on my pre-amp and DAC which I currently regard as the weakest point in my system (Classe' SSP Sigma).  So my "ratios" will continue to get more lopsided before "harmonizing"

Viber6,

I don’t know if statistical analysis was part of your medical training or not.  It was part of my Economics training and you are incorrect in your conclusion about how I evaluated the statistics.  Absolute difference is meaningless, only relative difference matters.  A difference of 10 out of 20 is huge.  A difference of 10 out of 1M is not statistically relevant, unless with repeated trials the difference was always between 9 and 11.  Vegas thrives on 5-15% because there are billions of samples and the variance is exceptionally small.  So my analysis being based on relative analysis is spot on.

As it relates to your Rouge, even though the trials numbered only 3 and sample size was probably small, the results were relatively stable so it was not inappropriate to focusing on 50% more preferred the Mystery amp…. 

Highlighting your lack of understanding of statistics, using your numbers…Assuming the rare disease toxin was deadly and the rate increased from .1 to .2% equates to a change from 335,000-770,000 deaths in a year in the USA which would equate to an increase in total deaths of 12% and an overall cause of death of 24% (2.85M died in prepandemic 2019 USA).  This would rank above cancer and cardiac arrest, so yes, that would be a big deal…  It would be an even bigger deal if it was centered on Brooklyn… where 20% in a year would be dead… Pretty bad for your long term business!  Interesting note… Covid-19 deaths were around 385,000 last year and this year will be over 425,000.  0-.1% matters.

Although I do agree that most people do not understand statistics, especially as it relates to risk analysis and decision making.  I will also agree that media plays on (or equally suffers from) this lack of understanding resulting in sensationalism.  If you want to further debate statistical analysis, off line please…. 

And finally for your pilot analogy.  Let’s add some additional details:  The 2 pilots are self taught, hijacked the plane and really don’t have any idea what they are talking about but are absolutely convinced they know what they are talking about… there names are psnyder149 and Viber6.  Yes, we are taking this airship down faster than the Hindenburg…

And to everyone’s gratefulness, I am done posting on what I thought would give readers a good chuckle…

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and to an even better 2022 everyone!

@viper6,

Since your expertise is so much more voluminous and well informed than the rest of us mere mortals, perhaps you can talk in terms of the differences in tonal characteristics of a mid 60’s rosewood vs maple necked Stratocaster informed by the differences of late 70’s models.  Or maybe it would be more informative to use references Marshal JMP vs JCM stacks with greenbacks vs. JBL cabines.  Or perhaps you should use the differences of various named Stradivarius violins.  Or Chicago’s Symphony Hall vs. Atlanta Symphony Hall... Or even be able to write  about your first hand experience of the growth in Audio Research from their early SP 3, SP 6 up through current Reference models.

I’m pretty sure there are people on this thread that could have a first hand discussion on any or all of these variances since they have experienced them first hand.  But that doesn’t mean that expertise suggests they should dominate this thread.

It is true you have some knowledge and experience.  But that is the case of many of us.  Few of us feel a need to insert our opinions on many of the posts even though most of us have opinions that either agree or disagree with most.  

This is WC’s journey and he has been kind enough to share it with us.  If you feel you have a journey worth sharing, please start your own, either people will find it interesting, or not.     My guess is that you would receive far less animosity and simultaneously far more respect if you cut your posts by 80 or 90%.  Perhaps save up a day or two of posts and then ask yourself which 1 best contributes to the conversation, then delete the rest or save them for your new formum.  You are not the only “serial” poster and perhaps others will recognize themselves.  But I suspect others share my opinion that WC’s journey is what we are here for.  Many others have contributions that can inform or amplify his journey.  

This is not about our respect for you.  It is about our respect for WC and the general community.  Please consider restraining yourself and exercising respect for the rest of us.
Viber6,

Where in my post did I say that “you don’t know what you are talking about”?

I did not.  

What I said is that we all have a certain level of expertise and that we all (or perhaps-nearly all) have opinions.  Most of us moderate what we post in the hopes that it contributes positively to WC’s thread.  Over recent days, you are contributing around 20% of the posts, often admitting you have no specific experience with the equipment you are making.  I suggested that since you feel you have so much to contribute, it would be most helpful for you to start your own thread and pare down your contribution to the most meaningful and insightful ideas on WC’s thread.

Stated as clearly as possible...  Please start your own thread and post as much as you would like.  As a member of this community, please consider posting far less.

WC,

Without overstating things...  The best system I have ever heard was all Nordost with a Ref 10 in the middle.  Do not let go of that pre-amp until you have heard it with at least Valhalla 2 or Odin Power cords to amp(s), preamp, DAC, server and and same level interconnects and speaker cables.  I know it's big bucks, but you have a big bucks system.  The only consolation is that once you have heard it, you don't really need to do everything at once!  It can be done incrementally.  But I will caution, the Nordost bug is completely addictive...

Good luck!
WC,

My system is all Nordost having replaced MIT. The MIT was mushy, blurry, muddy... Kind of like the sound of an instrument or system in an echo chamber, undamped, prison cell... or bathroom! Nordost is the antithesis: fast, clear, revealing, detailed but not at the expense of musicality and “soul”.  Congratulations on your upgrade. I suggest that you investigate the same upgrade to your monoblock amplifiers and preamp.

I love living through your journey vicariously!

@viber6,

I would like to invite you to come to Chicago, IL, specifically to the suburb of Morton Grove, to visit a retailer named Quintessence Audio.  For the record, I have no special relationship with them other than having been a relatively insignificant but loyal customer for approximately 30 years.  

When you come, you can have the opportunity to hear the ARC ref 10 fed by DCS digital into 3 different Wilson speakers, or Sonus Fabre Aida $125k speakers, Focal, Dynaudio speakers or Pass Labs or any of SimAudio equipment or a host of other choices.   While you are there, you might also listen to the Kubala Sosna cable loom or Cardas  cables.   You will then be able to experience first hand how inaccurate and “Euphonic” the ARC is compared to other top end solid state equipment.  When I heard this system, I “only” got to hear DCS, ARC 10, SF Aida combination through an all Valhalla 2 loom.  It was a $400k system and was absolutely stunning.

Normally, that system would have had an Odin 2 loom, but the entire $75k loom was out on loan to a customer.  You know, it’s quite amazing that Quintessence sells any Odin cables in spite of having all those others to choose from in the store, or to take home and audition.  I know that many reputable dealers offer home auditions so people can try within their own system in their own familiar environment.  It is just normal. Your Nordost dealer slam was just plain ignorant.

I have never asked how much inventory Quintessence has on the floor at any given time, but I’m going to make an educated guess at over $3 million.  I don’t know how many retail outlets in this niche market can support this kind of inventory and stay in business for over 30 years but I would be shocked if it were many more than a few in the country.  The answer to your question about dealers is that overhead is huge, margins are thin, sales are tough in an environment where everyone wants a deal and the market is relatively small.  Dealers have to make the best decisions they can while tightly managing cash flow in an economy that can turn south on a dime.  The answer is not that they are afraid their products are inferior.

Since you consider yourself such a well educated and knowledgeable audiophile with your endless and generally misinformed posts I firmly believe that you will resist further contributions of your mindless drivel until you can come to Chicago and hear for yourself just how misguided much of what you write is.  I’m sure you have both the intellectual curiosity and honesty to admit that when you hear first hand how great some of the items you slam are you will come around full circle.  Just FYI, I do not own any ARC nor Odin cables, they are way beyond my means, but I do appreciate that they are wonderful products as are many others.

Before you fire off your retort and justification, please go back and reread what you have written since your self imposed but too-short lived Christmas exile.  Ask yourself, how much are your words really contributing to the collective knowledge?  

I will point out something you are not likely aware of...  This thread has been thriving for around 30 months, most of the time without you.  It appears you first started following it on or around April 23... 9 months ago.  In only 1/3 of the lifetime of the thread, you are approaching 500 posts (nearly all on this thread) out of 5900 total posts—nearly 10%.  WC, the one person we are all really interested in, has only posted 1500 times.  Other people are too polite to you, but many share the feelings I am expressing. I am going to go out on a limb and predict others will support what I am writing.

Start your own discussion thread, maybe even join forces with techno_dude, and when you’ve been going strong for more than 2 years with a significant following, come back and tell me how wrong I was.  Don’t bother till then!

Thanks in advance.

@techno_dude,

288 posts on this thread since March 12, 2018 when you joined Audiogon--or did you have another name that was removed for some reason?

"Only" 5% of all posts on a 30 month thread in 11 months...

At least you have started your own separate discussion threads that people have interest in following. I give you that.
RIAA, that was absolutely hilarious!  Just what everyone needed.

Everyone, have a great day today.
Hey WC,

just a word of encouragement...  I acquired a set of used Valhalla speaker cables last week.  I don’t know how long it has been since they were last used, but I have had them playing 24 hours a day, nonstop since last Friday.  Tonight, they finally sound broken in, although maybe there is even more goodness to come!  In any case, I know it’s worse with brand new.  Be patient with those babies!  

Also, pay attention to both cable direction and how you have the jumpers connected.  Nordost has a white paper on this on their website.  Different wiring/jumper configurations has a huge impact on the sound.

Btw, yes the Valhallas do sound incredible, can only dream of the Odin!  Good luck.
WC and "crew",

Last night I attended an open house at Quintessence Audio (Morton Grove, IL) that was advertised as a release party for the new dCS Bartok DAC and Wilson Sasha DAW speakers (in main room these were partnered with Audio Research Ref 10 Pre-amp, Audio Research Ref 160M, Nordost Odin:  est. system cost $175K).  The event was well attended by a wide range of enthusiasts that appeared to span from budget home systems owners ($5-$25K) systems through absolute reference owners ($200-$500K+).  The presentation by Wilson and dCS was informative and interesting and the music an outstanding variety to clearly reveal the magic of the systems.  (Bach Trios with Mandolin, Bass and Cello; Rene Fleming singing a beautiful Leider, Mickey Hart with Japanese Kodo drummers (yes the 160M needles moved on this!), Aretha Franklin and finally some crooner from the 60's.  The sound was absolutely sublime!

The bonus was that Nordost's Sales rep was on hand in a second room doing demonstrations.  Following are some take-aways:

Nordost demonstrations I witnessed (system was Wilson Sabrina, SimAudio 850P, SimAudio 400M, dCS Rossini and external clock, Nordost Valhalla 2 interconnects and speaker cable + assortment of cones, Power Cords, etc.  (estimated overall system cost:  $100K)):  
  1. interconnect between dCS external clock and DAC (this is only clock signal, no data).  stock, Heimdahl 2, Valhalla 2
  2. USB between notebook and DAC (all data, but data completely reclocked within DAC.  stock, Heimdahl 2, Valhalla 2
  3. Power cord of dCS external clock.  stock, Red Dawn (Nordost's top of their "entry level Leif series" power cord.  around $400 for 2M)
Firstly, this "budget system" sounded great even at 2/3 cost of the main system.  Differences between all of the trials were clear to all even though only one cable was changed at a time;  novice and high end system customers alike.  Whether differences were of value compared to cost was not the point.  In every case, the more expensive alternative was clearly and audibly better and these differences were not subtle.  Note that I am making no value judgement as to whether the incremental cost is worth the money, nor that other competing brands might not offer a better or different value... only that in every case; clarity, dynamics, background noise floor, inner harmonics of individual instruments, soundstage, etc. was clearly and obviously better than the less expensive alternative.

Important was that of all the cables, interconnects, etc. in the system that one might believe would be most impact sound, these demonstrations were of the exact opposite.  One might believe that the fantastic dCS Rossini plus master clock ($35,000 combo) would be among the most immune converters from jitter, power noise and whatever other critters somehow creep into a system and that the power cord to the external clock should be at most subtly impacted by a $400 PC. The gentleman beside me (who had never spent $100 or more on any cable exclaimed "the better the equipment, the more obvious the differences between cables" which many of us have discovered to be true.

I had opportunity to speak privately with Mike Marko of Nordost regarding the journey WC has been on and his recent entry in Nordost's premium reference line.  He agreed that it is of paramount importance that when you are working with this level of equipment, it is really important to treat the system as a whole, not as a collection of individual components.  Everything affects everything else... system synergy.  For this reason, it is of paramount importance that WC work with a Nordost retailer that will set him up with a complete loom at least to reasonably evaluate the Nordost product.  It is probable that such a product will reveal weaknesses in other products that were previously masked and it could be easy to attribute those weeknesses to the cable that has merely exposed them.  I have written before of the sensitivity of the AR Ref 10 to power cable.  You have not even come close to hearing how incredible this preamplifier is unless it partnered with a special power cord.  I have now heard this with both Valhalla 2 and Odin.  It is just magical.  Because of the tubes, I would extend this to experimentation with vibration absorption, supression, etc. whether that be sort cones, still points, high end shelving (i.e. Critical Mass), etc.  I expect this is equally true with the Lampi although I have never had the opportunity to audition.

It is Mike's experience that often when clients install the Odin speaker cable that speaker positions must often be changed.  What may have been optimized before, frequently has a different optimal position with Odin.  WC noted that soundstage was diminished and bass slam was lost with the new speaker cables.  With these cables, this absolutely should not be the case.  The Kodo drums in the Wilson demonstration were as real sounding as I have ever heard in a reproduction, but of course still fall short of experiencing them live.  Last night, they were as close to live as I have ever heard.  

This is why highly trained retailers normally travel to their clients to facilitate and accelerate the process of integrating these seriously high end products.  Any of us can plug in a new set of cables, but few of us have the benefits of training, optimization, speaker alignment that a dedicated, high end retailer is expected to invest in. 

I hope sharing my fun experience last night might be appreciated by all and maybe be at least a bit informative.

dguitarnut,

Please save the 25 ft rolls, this way I can come over and listen to your system.  When it sounds great with the zipcord, I can use the rolls to hang myself!  When it sounds like crap, I can still use the zipcord to hang myself...  A win, win all the way around!!!  lol
WC,

I have heard a number of the speakers on your list in the Sonus Faber line as well as the Wilsons.  AR Ref 10 plus either AR or SimAudio amplification with any of these speakers and Nordost has always resulted in spectacular sound in my experience.  Quintessence Audio is also a Pass dealer, but I have found them consistently less engaging than the AR and SimAudio lines.  Not bad, just not as enjoyable.  Front end was dCS or Aurender and SimAudio.  Axpona is coming up and last year there were many examples of great sounding rooms.  Best in show was from Quintessence Audio and they were showcasing systems above.  I know you generally hate shows.  Previous to Axpona, I shared the same opinion but last year my mind was blown!  For as much as you invest, a ticket to Chicago shouldn't break your budget and it might help you in your quest!

Let me know if you decide to come and maybe we can meet for a coffee and to hear a few things.  Also, bring a list of music on Tidal or Qobuz and I'm sure many will indulge you a track or 2.

Good luck!

I would like to add that Viber's knowledge of Classical music is excellent and though I never commented publicly, I thought his recommendations on "introductory level" music were superb.  I am also a fan of classical music--decades ago, I studied cello at a high level--and I have some different "introductory level" favorites but nothing better than his. I have a current favorite Saint Saens Symphony #3 (Organ) to recommend as a solid performance but an amazing recording:  Reference Recording:  Michael Stern, Kansas City Symphony.  Viber is a fantastic resource if you want to learn about classical music, conductors, musicians, etc.  No reservations!

Clearly I feel his views and sound preferences on equipment are not in line with the majority and they would result in a dramatically inferior sounding system were the "average" listener to build a system with his recommendations:  zip cord-not high quality speaker cable, 1970's potentiometer based graphic equalizer-to artificially hype high frequencies and diminish low and mid-range, bright equipment instead of more neutral, class-D amplification in a world where very few class-D amplifiers match the capabilities of A and A/B, speaker panels with limited dynamics and little bass-even when Viber loves symphonic and concerto formats that really can't be performed at anything close to realistic levels on this style of speaker.  These are all strong recommendations from Viber and to follow them would be a mistake for many... or more likely most.

I can confidently state that his views are not in line with the majority simply because he applies varying degrees of the same EQ to nearly everything.  He even discounts digital EQ over his beloved Rane.  If he was anywhere near middle ground he would have to goose highs on some and reduce them on some.  Reduce lower midrange and bass on some and goose it on others.  He does not.  And many (perhaps even most) would not require any EQ.  He roundly criticizes great equipment as "Euphonic" and "overly warm", etc.  

According to Viber, nearly all Recording Engineers and Equipment Designers do so in a way which misses the essence of the instruments and sound.  I too have been musically trained, been involved in recording music (3 of the records I have been involved in hit Billboards Top 10 in Blues, even dislodging BB King and Eric Clapton (temporarily! from the top spots).  Of the dozens of recording engineers I have worked with, they ALL faithfully do their best to capture the sound that the musicians are creating.  ALL!  Unless the engineer was working in collaboration with the artists for a specific special effect, any engineer intentionally deviating from this would be removed.  Probably immediately.  Studio time is too expensive to mess around. 

As stated, he and I have had numerous private, off-line respectful conversations and I have applied his EQ suggestions to my system.  They turn my imminently musical system into screechy crap to my ears and again, I would suggest most listeners would feel similarly.  Decreasing 200-500 Hz range by up to 5dB and goosing 8000+ Hz by up to 12 dB.  Even then, I do not criticize his choices for him.  Only his insistence that his choices are best for everyone else.  If you are curious, I have my current system posted on "virtual systems".  

Additionally, his lack of respect of other musical tastes is narrow minded.  I absolutely use live, unamplified, acoustic instruments and recordings in my equipment evaluations.  I also use classic rock, modern rock, studio jazz and most other available genres (except rap and speed metal, which I more or less categorically avoid! lol).  Different characteristics can be learned from any of them.  Probably most important in picking recordings for evaluation is that you are familiar with the them and that you like them.  I have been using some of the same recordings for decades:  Rush-Power Windos, McCoy Tyner-NY Reunion, Sting-Brand New Day, Beethovan Egmont Overture, Brahms Symphony 4-Fritz Reiner (Chesky), Tears for Fears-Sowing the Seeds of Love.  Nothing special about this list other than I love them and have listened to each of these literally hundreds of times.  Not one recording will tell me everything I want to know about a piece of equipment, but all together and I will pretty much understand what it adds...and lacks.  If I am auditioning a piece of equipment, they will all get hit at some point in the process.

But as many people are looking to this thread for recommendations and evaluations, many of us fundamentally understand Viber's biases and preferences, but for those who are just starting out, it is important to call foul when recommendations are not in line with most others.  This is why I make such a pest of myself.  I know others agree, but just ignore him but for some deep psychological and pathological reason... I guess I can't...

And finally to Viber.  I did purposely distort your pilot analogy in an attempt at mutually, self-deprecating humor.  You constructed a straw man argument, I lit it on fire!  

Again, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone and especially to Viber!

Thanks WC! I had a wonderful time hanging with you at the show. Like I said this afternoon... Could not find a thing to complain about on the Focal Grand Utopia’s but partnered with the Naim system at approx. $750000 I buy the Sonus Faber Aida’s, AR Ref 10, Ref 160Ms and have money left over for a Lamborghini!

Have fun at the rest of the show and can’t wait to see what you write about the packages that arrived at your house today!!! -- Yes, a monumental tease for everyone!
WC,

Again, I wanted to say what a joy it was visiting the show with you on Friday and it was a a pleasure meeting your lovely wife.  You asked me to check out the GT Audio Works and I have been struggling to put it into words how I felt about them.  Firstly, I was not able to seriously listen to the Martin Logan room as it was so packed that I could not get in.  This says something on it's own merit...

IMHO, the GT Audio was in fact the best sounding room as far as panel speakers went that I was able to seriously audition.  I did not have them shut off the subwoofers so can't comment on that distinction but what I heard was very, very good.  Anyone considering this type of speaker would be seriously remiss in not auditioning.  

This being said, I have the same general feeling about the GT speakers that I have experienced with all speakers in this category that I have been fortunate enough to hear.  They sound very good but I don't love listening to them.  They have ever failed to move me.  I say this at risk of igniting a fire storm because of the many strong opinions on this thread but I would like to relay and elaborate on some of what we discussed on Friday...

Focusing only on or even emphasizing, "clarity" or "sparkle" or in fact on any other single facet of the pallet of the sonic spectrum is limited and limiting.  Warmth and tonality, perhaps a result of lower, inner harmonic details are far more important to me than a very detailed presentation.  Sense of weight and body including the extension, authority and control of bass are something that we share a common love of but for our mutual friend out west, this is not as important.  I could continue to name other areas:  sense of pace, rhythm, soundstage, height, depth, dynamic range, etc. all need to work together in presenting an aural picture of the recording that conveys all aspects of the sonic spectrum.  How each of us perceives and relatively values this pallet is a personal choice and is not one that I feel should be imposed upon any one else.  There is not a right and wrong answer to what a person likes.  There is not one answer to what is great or best.  People voicing their opinions of equipment would do well to always remember this.  Which flavors more appeal to one person in no way invalidates the flavors someone else likes and this respect should be overt.  

We visited several dozens of rooms together.  I have to say that I couldn't agree more with WESC's assessments.  Though I know you (WC) didn't' like the choice of music in the Von Schweikert room you appreciated the system but would never choose that system.  I found it to be absolutely stunning.  You and I were both blown away by the Focal Grande's but neither of us would spend that kind of money on that system--though I can say to the one person who voiced his opinion and "bet" on the result about how the Focal's compared to other speakers resoundingly looses his bet.  These were one of the fastest, most detailed speakers I have ever heard of any type of design and this speed and detail was still full of the rich harmonic textures.  But these speakers imposed themselves on a room in a way that they look like they belong in a club or a studio (I feel the same way about the big Wilsons).  The Von Schweikerts could absolutely fit into the decor of a living room.  I had fun listening to the Magico's with the subwoofers but they were not anything I would spend hard earned money on...  You and I both loved the Sonus Faber Aida.  As I have previously commented on your thread, I have heard that speaker on both SimAudio and Audio Research reference equipment (rather than the parent company--"politic'ed"--McIntosh) and this speaker is even better than we were able to hear it at the show.  It just goes to illustrate... all of these systems were great, some just ticked our personal boxes more than others.

There were a couple of takeaways from the show that I thought should be mentioned.  A number of the rooms that we went to (big Wilsons, YG in GTT Audio, SimAudio/Sonus Faber) on Friday afternoon that I revisited on Saturday and the sound was markedly improved.  I found out that GTT was using "out of the package" Kubala Sosna cables... it showed!  All of these rooms were an order of magnitude, improved after a full day of cooking!  I didn't make it back to the Block Audio room, but I fear that it would not have dramatically improved.  I expect that they will have learned much from this experience.  The Friday-Saturday changes really illustrates how important it is that exhibitors fully break in their equipment before bringing it to the exhibition.  In fact, I guess that everything should be set up by Wednesday and played for at least 36 hours before the doors open.  I don't know if this is practical, but it sure seems necessary.

Secondly, I took a friend who was a complete hi-fi novice to the show on Saturday.  Prior, he had only heard one "high end" system in his life, one time--mine (assuming that I might even carry the label of a "high end" as my system is significantly less than $100K).  He was excited and blown away at the quality of sound at most of the rooms.  At the end of the day, he was unequivocal:  his 2 favorite rooms were:  Nordost (using around a $10K KEF, Hegel, mac book air combination (and around $30,000 of Nordost products which is just insane!) and the room with $30,000 Sonus Fabers (I can't remember the model, perhaps Amadi) partnered with SimAudio at an estimated system cost of well under $150,000.  I raise this point to say that you can achieve a very good system that can convey performance, emotion and a great experience without needing to remortgage your house (and sometimes a few of your friends' houses!).  We had heard numerous $200+K systems and they didn't move him as much as something far less expensive.  I suspect that if Nordost had used "only" $10,000 in cables and treatments, that "humble" $20,000 system would have still sounded great.  Well designed equipment partnered with other complimentary equipment intelligently set up with the right accessories makes for a great system, not just dumping money on top of money.

Around a month ago, I strongly encouraged you to come to this show.  I hope that you found it to be a valuable and positive experience.  I certainly enjoyed getting to meet you and your wife and many other people.  At the end of the day, we are a small community of hobbyists with a shared interest in hearing great music in our homes.  To be able to spend 3 days with people sharing this common goal was just great!  Thanks for coming to Chicago to participate!

Thanks greyhound and WC.

Viber6,

Thank you for your comments.  It is my experience that in many systems the trade-off is between warmth and detail but this is one of the areas where the very best equipment/systems manage to capture both without an expense to the other.  The Holy Grail is for a home system to reproduce all aspects of the live performance perfectly; except for the uncomfortable seats, neighbor sniffing and coughing and the depressing lack of a pause button--which becomes even more important as I age! lol
At the show, I was noticing how many high end systems were using Critical Mass Solutions stands and shelves systems.  They are expensive but I know they do a great job... although it has to be said, I have never A/B'd them with other high end isolation/vibration absorption systems.
Viber6,

I have been less than kind to you in the past and though the community is not aware, I did apologize to you so I am going to try and be constructive and most importantly, not cruel...

This is WC's thread.  We are all here because of him.   This thread is 2-1/2 years old and in little more than 1 year, you now account for nearly 10% of the posts.  WC might not account for much more than 10% of the posts and this is his thread.  

I want to try and use an analogy that might make some sense...

Since you love violin and symphonic music, it is rather like someone replacing a triangle with Big Ben and the percussionist is ringing it nearly constantly, although the score calls for only occasional triangle.  Though you can still hear the violins, the bell is ringing to the point of complete distraction.  At some point it doesn't matter if it is in time, out of time or having anything to do with the score.  The ringing is so obtrusive, it makes it nearly impossible to enjoy the music, although the Big Ben player might really be enjoying his new found freedom of only playing on the 1/4 hours...  This in no way suggests that Big Ben isn't a beautiful, sonorous, monumentally important historical feature of London (all of which is true), when it rings incessantly, it becomes a nuisance.   

Most importantly, WC is the conductor.  And he has repeatedly in very respectful ways asked you to play the part of triangle, and not Big Ben.  He has asked you to significantly restrict your playing to your appropriate part.

I do not believe that you are malicious, or nasty, or ill natured.  I believe that you are trying to be constructive, but you are not.  You are treating this thread as if it is your composition and that you are self conducting it.  You are frequently speaking for the conductor and directing the conductor.  

This is just an analogy and yes there are many ways to pick it apart but the message is still the same.   I have spoken privately with numerous people involved in the thread and everyone with whom I have spoken feels similarly.  

WC puts a tremendous amount of himself and his energy into this thread and in many ways treats it like his baby.  While you were on vacation it started to resume the thread of old that we all grew to really enjoy.  In the days since your return it has developed the toxic flavor of late.  

Perhaps I can make this very digital...  If you are posting more than once per week, you are quite likely being Big Ben and not the triangle.  Being Big Bend will result in the thread dying and this is just not fair to WC who has poured so much of himself into it.

Respectfully,
psnyder149

Ditto ron17's assessment of the Amp5 / Classe Sigma amp line.  

I also have an Amp5 that  I was using temporarily for front L&R until I was able to upgrade significantly to a BAT VK500 SE.  The Sigma Amp series are good for surround sound/home theater.  In no way to they hold their own against any of the better 2 channel and monoblock amps that WC has been exploring.  I am happy using the Amp 5 for center and 4 surrounds of a 7.1 system.  I would never consider using it for my primary L&R  again.  FYI:  My pre/pro is Classe Sigma SSP and this makes a reasonably good front end for the system.
WC,

Can we hope that you are planning on wedding those AR 160's to the Sonus Faber Aidas...  This can be a match made in heaven... and illustrated in your new dedicated listening room!!!  I remember how you liked them last month...  Ah, but I think you have let go of the Ref 10 to feed the beasts!!!  Lampizator will just have to do the job on it's own!  

Sweet listening my friend!!! 
For the last few years I have been using a PS Audio Power Plant 10 for all of my electronics except amplification.  The system tracks incoming voltage swing and other characteristics.  The voltage can vary by more than 5 (+2/-3 from 120).  You can certainly see the volatility depending on hot summer afternoons here in Chicago,  I can only imagine how much worse it is in Florida.  I do not recommend the 10 for big amplifiers, they just don't have enough extra to meet the high current demands but I understand PS Audio has released some larger, updated versions that have high current amplifiers in mind.  I expect that in the new future I am going to be experimenting with some other power treatment systems but I have found the PP10 to be very good... just not big enough for my BAT VK 500 SE which is a highly Class A biased A/B design and sufficient for keeping my listening room warm in the winter.
WC,
A lot of good questions, I just had a few thoughts that hopefully might prove helpful:

1.  At only 15% width to length difference, I think aesthetics and functionality should dictate which wall to assign as "front".  Since the listening room is doubling as a home theater, I suggest it may be better to use the 22' as front so that you can accommodate more side by side seating that is slightly more optimally situated for listeners and a slightly wider soundstage which I think you prefer.  Best situation is that both speakers and listener seat are 1/3 in from front and back walls respectively but that might be challenging with this space.  Front L&R should also be well away from side walls (again, technically ideal for 1/3 in/each but rarely, practically achievable.  IME the more "air" around any speaker, the better they perform.

2.  On the TV side, I have mounted mine such that during serious 2 channel listening, I push the tv all the way back against the wall to optimize sound.  When I am watching TV/Movies, the TV mount extends out nearly 2 feet.  I sit approximately 13 feet away so this changes the "apparent" size of the TV by nearly 20%.  I can "hear" the impact of having the TV extended when I am listening to 2 channel only so if you are going to have a TV in between the speakers, make sure you minimize the impact as much as possible.  With speakers centered and 4' off each side wall, assuming a 2-1/2' speaker width that leaves a maximum space of only 9'.  100" would fit...  85" would fit with breathing room.  If you use the 1/3 in rule, inside speaker boundary would each extend more than 8' in leaving only 6' in between, making your maximum  size be 85" but that would be tight.  I know you well enough to suspect you are going to want as big as possible.  Bigger visual competes with less good 2 channel sound.  A projector would allow a bigger screen but if you use the extendable mount, this difference is mitigated.  If you sit with ears 4' off the back wall (already less than recommended!) and your speakers are 4' off the front wall that puts your center line only 11' in front of you.  With TV mounted flush, your sitting 14.5' away, extended out 2' brings it to 12.5', an apparent screen size increase approaching 20%...  

3.  My listening room/home theater is approximately 50% larger than your space and I am running 7.1 surround.  For my room, I would prefer to be running 7.1 atmos and someday I may upgrade, but...  Many times I have considered removing side surrounds and just using rears as my forced layout pushes my primary side surrounds slightly in front of listener position which is highly undesirable.  I am not experienced with the latest multi-speaker systems but to be frank, when you are listening to 2 channel music, every additional speaker that you have in the room other than primaries becomes a passive resonator that smears  and colors what you are hearing.  For this reason, the best high end dealers physically remove unused speakers from the room whenever possible.  Following this dictate, for your 2 channel experience, the less additional channels, the better.  If I were setting up a room your size where you love huge speakers and a big soundstage, that is going to take up a lot of real estate for home theater.  This involves a pretty big prioritization decision on your part.  Do I want the best home theater or do I want to emphasize my 2 channel reviewing and have a reasonably good home theater experience?  That's on you, bud!

4.  I would suggest a 3 shelf x 3 shelf  rack plus amp stand(s) in front and the height should allow for reasonable TV viewing without obstruction.  If you pull them off the back wall, you can easily get behind to swap cables and components without doing major surgery every time.  If they are on the side wall, they are going to need to be moved back tightly against the wall so as to not interfere with listening geometries.  Most ideal might be having all equipment except amps behind listener but now you are talking a fresh mortgage for the 10 meter interconnects!  As we talked at Axpona, there is a reason that many of the best rooms were using Critical Mass Systems racks...

5.  In room / in window AC would be a mistake.  Find a unit where fan and compressor are removed from room.  They exist!  

6.  Power.  Pick a configuration and go all out on power (multiple, dedicated 20 amp lines, isolated ground--although I am beginning to believe the grounds for the entire system should be shared instead of separate for each circuit).  Finally, in case you change your mind on room configuration in the future, have your electrician install some extra conduit to the alternative position.  If the conduit is there, it's cheap to have an electrician come and pull new cables!  Might be the best extra $200 bucks you ever spent!

Already writing too much but hope that my thought process might be helpful and inspire some discussion...  Disclaimer:  No matter what decisions are made there are going to be tradeoffs.  I don't pretend to think other people might choose to put their compromises in different places and that is why we can have so much fun discussing!
WC,

Keep in mind, when you are deciding between 19 vs 22 feet, these are not huge differences either way.  There are apps and software (I think one I used is now called "Mark On Call HD" Home Designer App) and cost less than $10 that works on an iPad and I'm sure other options for other platforms that allows you to space plan the layout of a room, although not specific to audio, you can:  Define dimensions of room, specify sizes and locations of cabinets,  speakers, TV, chairs that can be set up as recliners, etc. and allow you to do a certain level of space planning.  Picture how much space is necessary for people to move around, see viewing angles to the tv screen, imagine the way way sound waves will arrive at listeners at different seating positions, and most importantly, move it all around easily.  It would not be definitive, but I suspect you will find that when you see everything proportionately represented, it will help you to make some much better decisions.  Having briefly met your wife, the best part of this software is that if you put together the room, she can offer some thoughts with some sensibilities and perspective that could prove really helpful! 

I will post a picture of my system and try and post a picture of the HD planning graphic of my initial listening room and you can see pretty quickly how I used it.  In my case, I had been planning on doing a row of 3 theater chairs and it just became clear this was not reasonable.  I ended up doing 2 "Stessless" recliners and a sofa.  For perspective, my TV is only 65".  Each square is a foot.  

A close eye will show that I have made many changes since I originally planned the room 7 years ago but despite nearly my entire system being upgraded, the fundamentals of placement have remained relatively unchanged.  What did happen is that seating positions moved back a couple feet, extension wall mounting tv bracket was added as previously described, a console was replaced with separate amp and center channel dedicated stands and speakers are out a few inches over original...  Oh, and most importantly, the lava lamp collection has grown! lol.

Good luck my friend!
tjassoc,

I believe a reasonable facsimile for speakers acting as resonators is that of percussion instruments in a symphony.  Timpani, bass drums, snares, xylophone, glockenspiel, and anything else that can vibrate in sympathy with the music is heavily dampened with felt pads and "pillows" except during use because they will all vibrate as they are excited by their resonate frequencies.  Only the instruments required for an evenings performance are put on stage.  Even in clubs and rock concerts, drummers disengage their snares during quiet passages.  One of the greatest technological advances in the invention of the modern piano was when a physical felt dampener was installed so that it released with a key depression or the sustain pedal was pushed.  Try playing music in a room with a grand piano having it's sustain pedal held down.  All of these examples can provide easily audible empirical tests for hearing these resonances.

Speakers are generally boxes with membranes covering at least one opening.  True there is much dampening so the effect is lessened but that does not make it disappear completely.  Rather than ringing in sympathy, I believe speakers are much more likely to absorb high frequencies and re-radiate (albeit with a time delay) lower frequencies.  As I stated in my earlier post and others have reiterated, it results in a loss of highs, reduction of detail and a general "smearing" of sound, it could also enhance room modes. These effects would be cumulative.   If I understand Dolby's advertisements, Atmos can accommodate up to 24 surround and 10 overhead speakers and 2 subwoofers for a total of 36 in a home system!  Keep in mind that many audiophiles feel that even the vibration caused by power supplies can denigrate performance (see Stillpoints, Sort Kones, HRS shelving, Critical Mass Shelving and a host of other available accessories)

For a person who is publicly reviewing premium equipment having all of these speakers in one's listening room could easily result in a bias towards overly bright, forward and somewhat hard sounding equipment over a more balanced, neutral sound.  And I believe this is important information for WC to consider as he is planning his room.  What are his goals, and what tradeoffs is he willing to make?  And most importantly, chose the tradeoffs consciously.  I am confident a 2 channel system will sound better in the same room with 13 other speakers vs. 36 or 9 vs. 36 and that most ideal would be only the 2 active ones.  

As WC and myself share the common experience of having our 2 channel and HT sharing the same location, I try and limit the HT to make the smallest impact because while I want HT, I really want great 2 channel music.   
Viper6,

Who declared you king of value, that you should pronounce what anyone should spend their own money on?  Who declared you god, that you should divine how two pieces of equipment that you have never heard sound compared to each other?  Who declared you master of physiology, that your methodologies for testing and evaluating sound quality are better than any of the rest of us?

People try and be polite to you.  You have some good ideas but you cause them to be lost in all of your pronouncements and delusions of grandeur.  If you are truly so capable, knowledgeable and understand value better than anyone else, start your own company and sell your own line of equipment.  Maybe you are correct and then you will sell it by the truckloads and make a huge profit.  At least leave us alone and start your own thread.

Your pronouncements insult the OP and many of us on the thread.  Your incessant blathering annoys most of us.  Many of us have invested vast amounts of money on equipment, cabling, tweaks, etc.  Some of the best systems I have ever heard have been wired with other brands of cables.  Some of the best systems I have ever heard have been all Nordost.  No one company has a monopoly on good products.  

As others stated.  It's time for you to go back on vacation.  Take your time.

Viber6,
@gray9hound captured the point quite perfectly. You may not realize it, but your words are often insulting. I don’t believe that it is intentional. As I have stated, I believe you are a nice guy. But the same messages are being repeated to you over and over again and you refuse to accept them until people berate you. You were doing much better. As you no doubt realized, I and others reinforced a number of things you said. But over the past couple weeks it has degenerated completely.

When you tell people what to do--like you have all the answers--it is rude. When you criticize relative costs and individuals buying decisions, it is rude. When you tell people how they should evaluate things (different than explaining how you evaluate things), it is condescending. You have a perspective and that is reasonable. How you communicate it and state it as if your way is the only way is the problem. When you say "Odin is way overpriced compared to AQ with inferior performance... Go AQ!", you are being rude. Especially, when you have never evaluated Odin or Odin2.

I know for a fact that many of the people that participate on this thread have many tens of thousands of dollars invested in Nordost for example. I have over $15,000 retail in Nordost. Over the past 2 years, I converted from an all MIT cable system, and my system is an order of magnitude better than before.

We are not stupid. We made intelligent, well researched decisions. And contrary to what you may believe, many of our systems are amazing sounding. They may not be to your taste, but they are to ours. You like the third row, main floor. I like 1st row, 2nd balcony. Neither is right or wrong. I am happy to continue this privately, but will not take up any more of WC’s space.
WC, 
congrats on the DCS.  Just FYI, if you are running this with usb input, the cable makes a significant impact.  I have heard repeated examples of this with all levels of Nordost.  Trust me, of their offering, Valhalla 2 USB is sensational.  Talk to Ron17 on this.  I am currently running Tyr2 usb.  

Also, if you are running external word clock even pc matters as well as ic.

Thread statistics...

Inaugural post 10/16/16 
Approximately 1700 total posts on 4/22/18 
OP responsible for around 1/3 of all posts at that time

7220 total posts as of this morning 
One person responsible—who had never posted on the thread prior to 4/23/18–for nearly 720 posts... not the OP 
OP responsible for approximately 1/6 of posts since 4/22/18

In only 13 months of a thread that is 31 months old, one person, despite repeated requests for restraint, has now made: 10% of all posts, nearly 1/7 of posts in last 13 months and 1/4 (55 out of last 225 posts) over most recent 2-1/2 weeks.

WC,

There is a Valhalla 2 USB cable available for 1/2 price. I use one level below this (Tyr 2) as the rest of my system does not warrant the TOTL Vahalla. Your’s does. I have heard a demonstration of this cable with dCS and it is amazing. PM me and I will direct you to it if you’re interested.

Happy 4th!
bill_k hit the nail on the head regarding Spectral from my limited experience in the late 90's.  At it's best, with other Spectral and the specific MIT/Spectral cabling in terms of musicality, it can be at or near the top of it's price point, class.  However...  it doesn't play well with others and has had considerable reliability issues.  
Wow!  The room looks extraordinary.  Congratulations...  I can't wait for everything to be broken in and to hear some serious, conclusive reviews.  The AR is "to kill for"!
gtaphile +1.  A second vote for SimAudio...  Every SimAudio component I have seriously listened to was excellent at it's price point.  My problem is I keep listening to the next one up the line and now I can't afford what I really want!  
re:  Nordost Jumpers

Sorry to jump in a little late on the topic as I've been traveling.  I have had extensive experience with Jumpers using a couple of different Nordost speaker cables and even more when working with another "participant" on this thread who has even higher end Nordost than myself.  

With Nordost, it is absolutely critical that the jumpers are at same or better level than the speaker cables themselves.  I have theories as to why this is, but I could not technically argue them against people on this site that know much more about this than myself.  

What I can say is that I had basic Nordost jumpers and Frey 1 speaker cables (Heimdahl IC) with excellent results.  Which posts were jumped allowed me to slightly adjust tone and "impact" of the system but all ways sounded musical.  When I upgraded my system to all Valhalla 1 the overall sound of the system deteriorated dramatically, even though I preferred some aspects of presentation.  The harshness, or thinness that some people attribute to Nordost was very present.  I tried jumping highs, lows and cross jumping the way that Nordost recommends.  Nothing seemed to help.

I was about to just resell the V1 s but in a last ditch effort, I bought a pair of Reference jumpers.  Instantly, the issues went away.  The overall sound and musicality leapt past the Frey level.  Now all of the detail and clarity that Nordost is known for was matched with bass response, depth and coherence that makes for fantastic, uncolored and unfatiguing listening experience.  Some months later, I had the opportunity to land a pair of Valhalla 1 jumpers so that mains and jumpers were identical.  Although I did not expect that it would or could get better, there was a significant improvement to all aspects of the sound.  Not bad vs. good, but more very good vs better.  Additionally, which posts were jumped became more or less inconsequential.  I have heard from close friends that have Odin 1 and Valhalla 2 speaker cabling and they have had similar results.  

WC, my dealer is a Wilson and a Nordost rep.  They have the same experiences.  Because of the incredible attention placed on time coherence with Wilson, I expect that the sensitivity to the jumpers to be heightened even over my own (ProAc Response 5).   Our friend, who listens to incredibly fast YG speakers has heard a significant improvement from going from Reference to Valhalla 2 jumpers.  

As you know, my system is not nearly at the overall level of what yours is, but my experience is that the better the system, the more important these seemingly unimportant details become.  Again, I can't explain why it is the case, but only that I have found it to be the case in several situations.  I think it is particularly true once you start playing at the V2 and Odin levels.
WC, folkfreak,

Firstly, let me say that I am completely envious of folkfreak's dcs rig!  I am not going to say he is incorrect about the transport vs. NAS/streaming option.  I don't know how the best transport vs the best streamer shakes out.  I went from transport to a dedicated iMac but was always disappointed by this sound so then added the Aurender (which crushed the iMac).  I never had a desire to go back to individual discs (which I still keep).  

What I will say is that the Conductor app for controlling Aurender is a distant second from a Roon based system.  For this reason, I would steer clear of Aurender.  I believe the Innuos Statement (which utilizes a Roon platform) would be a better choice for this reason, although I'm not sure how the reclocking features compare. I have compared N100 with Innuous Zenith SE and Aurender was crushed.  I believe jonaiken--who regularly posts here--replaced an SE with an Innuous Statement into a Vivaldi stack so he may be able to shed good light on this.  I heard through the grapevine that he found the statement crushed the SE...

My dealer who has both dcs and Aurender (I currently have a basic N100H) recommends the following:  NAS (supplemented by streaming) into Roon Nucleus + to feed dcs.  In the past couple years, their sales of Aurender have fallen to the floor in favor of NAS/Nucleus.  At Axpona, most of the rooms were using Roon, and though many room identification summaries said they had Aurender, the only place I definitely remember an Aurender being utilized was... in the Aurender room!  

My dealer likes the Innuous platform and have auditioned it extensively but they worry that it just doesn't fit with where industry is going.  I am in the process of transferring my entire 2 TB collection into a new NAS, the Nucleus + is on order and my next planned step is for a dcs Bartok, as the Vivaldi is outside of my realistic budget.  

In the "where should I invest the money first.." question:  Aurender vs. dcs...  to me I would absolutely go dcs and worry about how to "feed" it later!  I am doing it "out of order" primarily because of backup concerns (Aurender is a complete pain in the ass to backup) and my preference for Roon over Conductor.  Although if I notice a drop off in sound quality, I will keep the Aurender until I get the Bartok.

Finally, thanks to clarification note to tjassoc who correctly pointed out that Wilson does not include biwiring in their speaker designs.  I had commented on the importance of matching jumpers to speaker cable in biwired systems and incorrectly attributed a general conversation about this importance to include the Wilsons.  Clearly from Wilson's design decisions, they don't like mismatched jumpers as well!  lol
WC,

I agree with mayorwest.  DCS sells the Vivaldi at least in part in components to allow their customers to upgrade it over time without forking out full cash all at once for base unit, masterclock, upsampler and whatever other standard options that they sell.  If you are going to compare two ultra-high end pieces and then declare which one sounds better, then I think it is your obligation as a reviewer to utilize the piece in it's best configuration... or at the very least, doing it both ways.  That the Esoteric does not have these options or does not emphasize them is not DCS' fault.  DCS thinks reclocking and upsampling are critical for SOTA, Esoteric doesn't.  If you think that is somehow "unfair" then find yourself a Vivalvdi One that has everything already built in.

Since many of you are car enthusiasts (I am not) I going to attempt an anology.  Comparing 1 expensive sports car that has a big and a small option for engines against another sports car that only has one size engine... if you are comparing the two, my guess is that you would use the big one and let them slug it out in their best edition.  

If you were comparing a turntable with an optional external power supply (i.e. Linn) with a turntable that utilizes vacuum hold down and an air bearing (are these still things??? lol) you would not compare base models, you would compare loaded options, or at least as part of your "shoot out".  

These "options" are not "tweaks" as one contributor suggested but fundamental to the designs. 

Additionally, the fact that high end manufacturers include a crap powercable, maybe even stock USB or ethernet cable and possibly a set of "Radio Shak" rca interconnects (I sure hope these are no longer included but I know the other 3 were included in the new server I just bought!) in no way insinuates that this is the way the manufacturer expects their equipment to be used, or the power cable would be permanently attached and not an IEC connection.  Manufacturers recognize that their customers are likely to change these to suit the rest of their system so they rarely bother including anything above base level cabling.

Sure there can be something learned from auditioning them in their worst possible light.  But I think it is your responsibility if you are going to be passing judgements comparing SOTA equipment to spend more time putting them in their best possible light. 

riaa,

I agree with every one of your points and I was aware that Esoteric had external clocking as an option.  I didn't think that they emphasized this in the way that DCS does.  I have not listened to the Esoteric other than as part of a couple systems at Axpona so I was careful not to comment at all on how I thought it would sound or performed.  

I also like the direction WC is taking things today.  

Just restating my main point, I think it is important to review equipment in their best light, especially if you are comparing them at their least.  Perhaps a better DCS shootout candidate for this type of comparison (single box vs. single box) would be the less expensive Bartok or the all-out Vivaldi One.  

Also, I couldn't agree more with you than about your affinity for the Ref 10.  My dream system would be Vivaldi One, ARC Ref 10, Ref 160 Monos, Odin and any number of Sonus Faber, Wilson, YG, Magico... speakers (depending on my mood for the day)!
Quite simply, it is because general computers (either desktop or laptop) are good at many things but are not great at creating the best signal (whether it be via usb or Ethernet) for transmitting a quiet (without interference) or stable (without jitter or timing errors) for DACs to convert to analog.  For an excellent technical discussion of the challenges presented in an understandable way for novices, listen to the interview below between the technical designer for Innuos and Darko audio.  Innuos makes some of the best purpose built severs in high end audio.  

https://soundcloud.com/johnhdarko/why-digital-audio-isnt-just-ones-and-zeroes
I do not consider myself especially knowledgeable about the various Innuos products.  I have spent the most time with the Zenith MK II SE and have heard it compared to Aurender N100 and dedicated iMac mini which I have owned for several years.  I have spent a little time with Zenith MK III and Statement.  I was first introduced to the SE at Axpona 2 years ago when I strongly encouraged a friend to upgrade from his N100 to the SE, which he did at my recommendation.  The primary driver of this decision was for Roon compatibility but we have both been pleasantly surprised at the significant improvements in detail and musicality, 3 dimensionality without any identifiable downsides.  

This being said, I found the interview with Nuno to be exceptionally informative and I look forward to adding an Innuos to my system when financials permit.  There are several contributors on this thread (and a few other AG threads) that have extensive experience with SE and Statement partnered with dCS and other DACs and their published descriptions has matched my limited experiences.
Now, make sure the Aurender has an excellent PC and is sitting on some really good 3rd party feet.  I use Nordost sort Kones BC on my n100 4tb with Frey2 pc and Tyr2 usb,  others use still points and I’m sure there are other options as well.  Also I would rather have Valhalla 2 or Odin pc  but these are not in my current budget.  The Aurenders are benefitted by all of these.  Enjoy the music!

1st row, 2nd balcony, Orchestra Hall Chicago or Heinz Hall Pittsburgh.   Best sound in the house!  And actually, Jay and I have spent several hours listening together, our tastes are about as closely matched as any 2 people.  I just don't have Jay's budget.

And kren, I spent 2 years in a row/200-250 nights/year in damn near every Blues club in North America (ex Mexico) and quite a few in Europe!  But hard to beat:  7th row Wrigley Field for Paul McCartney, 13th row for Elton John's final concert in Chicago, 10 ft away from Jewel at a Private party...  or backstage watching Sheryl Crow!  best.... ahem.... sound ever!