My Long List of Amplifiers and My Personal Review of Each!

So I have been in a long journey looking to find the best amplifiers for my martin logan montis. As you know, the match between an amplifier and speakers has to be a good "marriage" and needs to be blend exquisitely. Right now, I think I might have found the best sounding amplifier for martin logan. I have gone through approximately 34-36 amplifiers in the past 12 months. Some of these are:

Bryston ST, SST, SST2 series
NAD M25
PARASOUND HALO
PARASOUND CLASSIC
KRELL TAS
KRELL KAV 500
KRELL CHORUS
ROTEL RMB 1095
CLASSE CT 5300
CLASSE CA 2200
CLASSE CA 5200
MCINTOSH MC 205
CARY AUDIO CINEMA 7
OUTLAW AUDIO 755
LEXICON RX7
PASS LABS XA 30.8
BUTLER AUDIO 5150
ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005

With all that said, the amplifiers I mentioned above are the ones that in my opinion are worth mentioning. To make a long story short, there is NO 5 CHANNEL POWER AMP that sounds as good as a 3ch and 2ch amplifier combination. i have done both experiments and the truth is that YOU DO lose details and more channel separation,etc when you select a 5 channel power amplifier of any manufacturer.
My recollection of what each amp sounded like is as follows:

ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005 (great power and amazing soundstage. Very low noise floor, BUT this amplifiers NEEDS TO BE cranked up in order to fully enjoy it. If you like listening at low volume levels or somewhat moderate, you are wasting your time here. This amp won’t sound any different than many other brands out there at this volume. The bass is great, good highs although they are a bit bright for my taste)

NAD M25 (very smooth, powerful, but somewhat thin sounding as far as bass goes)
Bryston sst2(detailed, good soundstage, good power, but can be a little forward with certain speakers which could make them ear fatiguing at loud volumes)

Krell (fast sounding, nice bass attack, nice highs, but some detail does get lost with certain speakers)

rotel (good amp for the money, but too bright in my opinion)

cary audio (good sound overall, very musical, but it didn’t have enough oomph)

parasound halo (good detail, great bass, but it still holds back some background detail that i can hear in others)

lexicon (very laid back and smooth. huge power, but if you like more detail or crisper highs, this amp will disappoint you)

McIntosh mc205 (probably the worst multichannel amp given its price point. it was too thin sounding, had detail but lacked bass.

butler audio (good amplifier. very warm and smooth sweet sounding. i think for the money, this is a better amp than the parasound a51)

pass labs (very VERY musical with excellent bass control. You can listen to this for hours and hours without getting ear fatigue. however, it DOES NOT do well in home theater applications if all you have is a 2 channel set up for movies. The midrange gets somewhat "muddy" or very weak sounding that you find yourself trying to turn it up.

classe audio (best amplifier for multi channel applications. i simply COULDNT FIND a better multi channel amplifier PERIOD. IT has amazing smoothness, amazing power and good bass control although i would say krell has much better bass control)

Update: The reviews above were done in January 2015. Below is my newest update as of October 2016:

PS AUDIO BHK 300 MONOBLOCKS: Amazing amps. Tons of detail and really amazing midrange. the bass is amazing too, but the one thing i will say is that those of you with speakers efficiency of 87db and below you will not have all the "loudness" that you may want from time to time. These amps go into protection mode when using a speaker such as the Salon, but only at very loud levels. Maybe 97db and above. If you don’t listen to extreme crazy levels, these amps will please you in every way.

Plinius Odeon 7 channel amp: This is THE BEST multichannel amp i have ever owned. Far , but FAR SUPERIOR to any other multichannel amp i have owned. In my opinion it destroyed all of the multichannel amps i mentioned above and below. The Odeon is an amp that is in a different tier group and it is in a league of its own. Amazing bass, treble and it made my center channel sound more articulate than ever before. The voices where never scrambled with the action scenes. It just separated everything very nicely.

Theta Dreadnaught D: Good detailed amp. Looks very elegant, has a pleasant sound, but i found it a tad too bright for my taste. I thought it was also somewhat "thin" sounding lacking body to the music. could be that it is because it is class d?

Krell Duo 300: Good amp. Nice and detailed with enough power to handle most speakers out there. I found that it does have a very nice "3d" sound through my electrostatics. Nothing to fault here on this amp.
Mark Levinson 532H: Great 2 channel amp. Lots of detail, amazing midrange which is what Mark Levinson is known for. It sounds very holographic and will please those of you looking for more detail and a better midrange. As far as bass, it is there, but it is not going to give you the slam of a pass labs 350.5 or JC1s for example. It is great for those that appreciate classical music, instrumental, etc, but not those of you who love tons of deep bass.

It is articulate sounding too
Krell 7200: Plenty of detail and enough power for most people. i found that my rear speakers contained more information after installed this amp. One thing that i hated is that you must use xlr cables with this amp or else you lose most of its sound performance when using RCA’s.

Krell 402e: Great amp. Very powerful and will handle any speaker you wish. Power is incredible and with great detail. That said, i didn’t get all the bass that most reviewers mentioned. I thought it was "ok" in regards to bass. It was there, but it didn’t slam me to my listening chair.

Bryston 4B3: Good amp with a complete sound. I think this amp is more laid back than the SST2 version. I think those of you who found the SST2 version of this amp a little too forward with your speakers will definitely benefit from this amp’s warmth. Bryston has gone towards the "warm" side in my opinion with their new SST3 series. As always, they are built like tanks. I wouldn’t call this amp tube-like, but rather closer to what the classe audio delta 2 series sound like which is on the warm side of things.

Parasound JC1s: Good powerful amps. Amazing low end punch (far superior bass than the 402e). This amp is the amp that i consider complete from top to bottom in regards to sound. Nothing is lacking other than perhaps a nicer chassis. Parasound needs to rework their external appearance when they introduce new amps. This amp would sell much more if it had a revised external appearance because the sound is a great bang for the money. It made my 800 Nautilus scream and slam. Again, amazing low end punch.

Simaudio W7: Good detailed amp. This amp reminds me a lot of the Mark Levinson 532h. Great detail and very articulate. I think this amp will go well with bookshelves that are ported in order to compensate for what it lacks when it comes to the bass. That doesn’t mean it has no bass, but when it is no Parasound JC1 either.
Pass labs 350.5: Wow, where do i begin? maybe my first time around with the xa30.8 wasn’t as special as it was with this monster 350.5. It is just SPECTACULAR sounding with my electrostatics. The bass was THE BEST BASS i have ever heard from ANY amp period. The only amp that comes close would be the jC1s. It made me check my settings to make sure the bass was not boosted and kept making my jaw drop each time i heard it. It totally destroyed the krell 402e in every regard. The krell sounded too "flat" when compared to this amp. This amp had amazing mirange with great detail up top. In my opinion, this amp is the best bang for the money. i loved this amp so much that i ended up buying the amp that follows below.

Pass labs 250.8: What can i say here. This is THE BEST STEREO AMP i have ever heard. This amp destroys all the amps i have listed above today to include the pass labs 350.5. It is a refined 350.5 amp. It has more 3d sound which is something the 350.5 lacked. It has a level of detail that i really have never experienced before and the bass was amazing as well. I really thought it was the most complete power amplifier i have ever heard HANDS DOWN. To me, this is a benchmark of an amplifier. This is the amp that others should be judged by. NOTHING is lacking and right now it is the #1 amplifier that i have ever owned.

My current amps are Mcintosh MC601s: i decided to give these 601s a try and they don’t disappoint. They have great detail, HUGE soundstage, MASSIVE power and great midrange/highs. The bass is great, but it is no pass labs 250.8 or 350.5. As far as looks, these are the best looking amps i have ever owned. No contest there. i gotta be honest with you all, i never bought mcintosh monos before because i wasn’t really "wowed" by the mc452, but it could have been also because at that time i was using a processor as a preamp which i no longer do. Today, i own the Mcintosh C1100 2 chassis tube preamp which sounds unbelievable. All the amps i just described above have been amps that i auditioned with the C1100 as a preamp. The MC601s sound great without a doubt, but i will say that if you are looking for THE BEST sound for the money, these would not be it. However, Mcintosh remains UNMATCHED when it comes to looks and also resale value. Every other amp above depreciates much faster than Mcintosh.

That said, my future purchase (when i can find a steal of a deal) will be the Pass labs 350.8. I am tempted to make a preliminary statement which is that i feel this amp could be THE BEST stereo amp under 30k dollars. Again, i will be able to say more and confirm once i own it. I hope this update can help you all in your buying decisions!

128x128jays_audio_lab

Showing 50 responses by kren0006

I’m just saying everything is here so let’s do the direct head to head comparison.

I’m not making any transitive claims, so don’t try to put words in my mouth. WC made the remark about the XA60.8 and the XS300 so you’ll have to ask him for particulars on what he meant.

But for the record, WC said himself in today’s video that mephisto and Boulder 2150 are the two best amps he’s ever owned, so you don’t have to twist yourself in knots trying to get to the conclusion that they beat XS300, WC told us that in video released couple hours ago. Take it fwiw. I haven’t heard any of those three in person so I’m hardly one to judge 
Wow, that is high praise indeed for the xa60.8.  Maybe time to bring the m900u back for a sixth time for a shootout against the Pass??
Maybe. One way to find out! C’mon WC! I doubt he’ll do it though.

He’s had the Pass Labs for 3 weeks or so, so total opportunity to put that together. WC handles and can manipulate those under 100 lb amps the way weakling mortals handle a loaf of bread (see Pass reveal vid), so size/weight inconvenience can’t be reason.

If we never see that shootout it likely means that Pass would have embarrased D’Ag and he doesn’t want to show D’Ag in poor light. Otherwise why not do it? If Pass sounds as good as XS300’s as hinted above by WC it is a shootout begging to happen.
Ok, I’ll slow down and explain again. WC said himself that Mephisto and Boulder 2150 were the two best he’s had. Listen to the video. Therefore he necessarily thinks they are better than xs300 since he’s had those too. C’mon Dave, pay attention!! : )

Wow. Amazing results. I am very happy that my hearing was able to pick a consistent setup, but I’m even happier to be surprised that the choice was tubes. Very interesting. Now I wonder whether it would be same in room

Do the integrated amp shootout I posted about! That is what would drive subscriptions and views. It’s brilliant!

keep the xa60.8 as a separates benchmark with a reasonable priced preamp and see if any of the integrateds can beat. Ratings Gold I tell ya!!

Alas, my prediction if not now within six months is Gryphon Mephisto mono blocks (solo or whatever they are called) and the new Wilson AlexxV. Book it

My conclusions from the exercise are the following.

Prelims: As I indicated, I focused on what I determined initially to be the one most disparate sonic characteristic between the presentations, which for me was bass control. I chose not based on fullness or amount of bass, but on quality of bass, which for me meant tightness and control, and lack of tubbiness or looseness in the bass. Each time, tubby bass presentation was the losing presentation for me. I indicated that as the reason for choice on at least two maybe all three vids, and others concurred with reasoning. I did not struggle with the choice at all on Vid 1 or 2. Vid 3 was little tougher but only took two listens. Not too difficult.

Assumptions: Because of this narrow criteria and the reputations involved, I assumed that I was choosing SS.

Results: I had no difficulty choosing a consistent setup. 3 for 3 (or two for two on matching to a baseline if you prefer, but same difference under the limitations of trial)and I was fairly confident I hadn’t cross-selected. There is only a 12.5% chance I’d randomly have chosen those three choices based on my selection criteria, so that plus the relative ease with which I was able to choose (just one listen for two vids, two for third), allows me to virtually entirely discount any randomness in trial (for the level of precision we are dealing with here - this isn’t drug testing it’s audio hobby preference screening). As such, I must conclude either that VAC has better bass control than Gryphon/Soulution to my preferences, or that YT and/or my laptop/headphone setup is worthless as a comparison medium. Actually it wouldn’t be merely worthless, which would be random, it would be worse than worthless (actively misleading?) as it led me definitively to that conclusion. Anyway, gotta be one or other under constraints of exercise, I reckon

Wilson Audio AlexxV. There, I just did. ; )

Haha, just kidding. Those are your speakers within the next 6 months (they won’t even be released for 4 weeks)

I can only speak for myself, but - and I mentioned this at the time - I couldn't have cared less about my ability to guess which was SS and which was tubes.  That was not the point.

The point was to pick which sounded the best, irrespective of the technology, and hopefully consistently choose the same setup.

Maybe some are dismayed that they picked a technology that they didn't expect to, but not me.  I'm actually kinda pumped that I picked the tubes, because that's an interesting learning point for me and probably something I'll pivot to down the road.

Some people here get too wrapped up in gear stereotypes, assuming that there is no possible way that tubes could have better bass control or better clarity or whatever than top-of-line solid state.  That's unfortunate.  This test showed me that WC's tube setup had better bass control that the top-of-line tubes, which I would not have thought possible but having honestly taken the test with an open mind must now accept and embrace.

Tubes had better bass control than top of line SS I meant.

With all due respect, not looking for tips on my purchasing decisions.  I can handle that myself.

Rockport Lyra:   +1500
Rockport Cygnus:  +1500
Mágico M6:  +900
Mágico MPro:  +300
Wilson Audio Chronosonic:  +900
Sonus faber aida 2:  +250

Sonus Faber SE:  +1500
Estelon ForzaK:  +1500

Kharma Exquisite Midi:  +1500

So the Focals didn’t last a month?  Those cables get recalibrated based on speakers, not electronics, if I’m not mistaken 

That was my guess as well, as indicated by my posted odds above, haha.  I doubt many of the listed speakers were seriously considered, but I think a couple were.  I think it came down to SF and Magico, but SF is the choice (again, see odds).

No worries and I’m sure you mean well.  But put it this way, you probably wouldn’t take very seriously the medical advice of a first year med school student advising you how to treat one of your patients. 

I know your preferences work for you, but I give them less weight than even my hypothetical. No offense. I wouldn’t expect anyone to follow my suggestions either, which is why I never offer any……

Whoa, whoa, whoa - WC, you’re a weightlifter! You know in converting kg to lbs you can’t just double 550 to get 1,100! You gotta put it through the calculator and get 1,212 lb.

If you set a new world record and successfully squatted 550kg you wouldn’t want them to report it as you squatted about 1100 lb! C’mon man!  ; )
Ok, last post on this because you keep accusing me of things I've never said and that's not cool.  I never said they would never make it.  I said they never have to this point (undeniably true) despite all of your pandering.  I also said if Jay ever does bring them in, then discussion of them here will make sense.  You are just continuing to use this thread for advertising, and people see through it, which is probably why nobody responds to your videos.  And when people offer you honest feedback like Inna did, you can't handle it (which is clear based on how you insulted him/her).
Ok, look forward to it. Let’s hear them in Jay’s room. Make it happen.  Until then, let's not hear about them.
Those are speakers that have never made it to WC’s room despite faxer’s pandering on this thread. Just ignore it -

faxer, nobody cares. Please stop posting videos of those speakers on this thread, this is at least the third time. Take a hint. This is a thread about equipment worthy of WC’s room.

Viber begged for attention for those speakers the last time you posted a video and basically everybody yawned. I don’t think even one person here posted positive comments in response to the last video your posted a couple months back before this new one, despite Viber’s groveling.

Then when people like Inna give you and Viber (presumably) honest feedback on them ("terrible sound") you don’t handle it well. "get your ears checked??" Seriously? Mods, how is that not offensive?

Note that I didn’t say anything until faxer insulted the one person who tried to provide feedback

If WC ever feels like they’re worthy to bring into his room, which hasn’t happened yet, then that will be different. But so far, <crickets>

I’m not making any judgment about the speakers, per your first comment. Admittedly, I haven’t heard them in person, and really have no desire to. In fact I think the only comment I’ve ever made about them SQ-wise on this thread is that I thought the Maggie 20.7’s sounded better based on the videos, fwiw (which isn’t much, given it’s a YT vid). I don’t care about them one way or the other.

I just think the continued pandering on this thread that is about WC’s journey (which doesn’t include those speakers) is a bit pathetic, and when people give you honest feedback on the speakers ("terrible sound") like today, you insult them, which is lame. Best of luck,
Nah, do that on a separate thread.  Not here - not relevant.  This thread is about WC's room.  Not about dealer showrooms or follower's setups.  Keep the focus.  Let the deafening silence speak to you.
WC, correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t ever recall you owning a horn speaker. Is that right, and if so is there a reason?
Viking Acoustic horns ever have a chance of appearing?
Nobody cares. I keep telling you that but you don’t get it. This thread is about WC’s system. The rest is noise. Start another thread. And stop insulting other followers (clown?)

You are a dealer.  This is WC's system thread.
Wow. Even more pathetic than I thought. Do whatever, post away about the speakers you sell if you must. But nobody cares
Here is the problem I have with faxer’s approach on this thread, which is about WC’s room.

faxer is a dealer. He sells GT speakers and Pass Labs. He’s mentioned that a few times in his 124 posts to this thread, but I believe A’gon’s policy is that dealers are supposed to make clear at all times that they are dealers when they shill their products. But I digress.

faxer has posted 124 times to this thread (just click on his username and you can see the posts to this thread). Most of those 124 posts are touting the speakers or amps that he sells, or criticizing people like me who tell him that this thread is not about gear that hasn’t been in WC’s room (at least not about 124 posts constantly touting something that hasn’t been in WC’s room - 1, 2, a dozen, okay, but 124?).

Most people don’t criticize faxer’s gear because most have never heard it. When someone does criticize it, like Inna did ("terrible sound"), he cannot handle the criticism and resorts to namecalling or system shaming.

When he posts videos of his equipment, which has been 3 or 4 times now, rarely does anyone respond to the substance of it. Maybe they are being polite in not responding, or maybe they just ignore, I don’t know. Doesn’t really matter - but the point is, it’s crickets. That’s why I keep saying nobody cares.

Anyway, That’s it. He’s a dealer who repeatedly posts about the speakers he sells, where the speakers have never been in WC’s room to this point despite all the posting about them. When WC chose a similar speaker to purchase, he chose Magnepan 3.7i and 20.7.

But whatever, it’s a free country.
Well if you did that integrated amp shootout I suggested you could find out!
Hmm, an integrated north of $35k or $40k msrp (whatever double current msrp of diablo 300 is)??? I guess that narrows it down quite a bit.

Ugh I hope it isn’t Momentum (personal preference - not my preferred sound). If so bring in Luxman 590axii, or the Gryphon, or the Boulder 866 to stomp it.
I can’t imagine spending that much on an integrated amp. Would go separates for sure myself at those levels so I don’t even know what’s available. But it’s just Monopoly money for WC

: )

I didn’t read your whole post because it is way too long and I lost interest. I explained why WC will likely not test Gryphon Essence versus Boulder, and immediately thereafter WC confirmed that what I said is correct (that the comparison you wish for will not happen). So all of the wishing is probably meaningless, which is what I assume the rest of your post was about.

Can't be Momentum then because that wouldn't be more than triple.  Has to be something else
“I wonder if that would change anyone's guess as to which speaker it is then?”

Not me. Not a fan of the big windup so won’t waste time thinking about it until the announcement days away
Correction, just two weeks ago, but feels like three : )

Almost up to 300 pages here ....
Well that sounds cool! Luxman easily drove Sasha DAW (or was it Alexia 1?, I forget) you told us, which isn’t an easy load. Measures 3x rated specs, so hopefully it’ll yet get a chance just for the fun of it. Either way that’ll be cool.

Techno,
People that hate Wilson Audio are supposed to be jolly when a Wilson speaker leaves WC’s room. 
WC,
Before this Soulution integrated, what has been the most expensive integrated amp you've had?
So any time over the past year-plus that WC has parted with a Wilson Audio speaker, it has been less than a month before he had a different Wilson replacement. High-end Focal being the latest to be quickly replaced by a new Wilson. 

Let’s see if the much more expensive Magico M6 fares better, but if we are already pointing fingers at dCS Rossini with an external clock that is definitely not a good sign. 

I’ll reserve judgment for now. Interested to see how it plays out. The shuffling of gear is always exciting, and a real kick that we can be along for the ride
What I’m most interested in with this speaker is how many long listening sessions til 2-3am have they evoked? WC hasn’t mentioned any yet like he always did with the Wilson’s.

Little worried. 8k must look impressive initially but if eyes start hurting after couple hours ....

Hoping I’m wrong and just reading too much into the lack of long listening session mention to this point. After all, if they don’t keep you glued to the chair nothing else much matters, regardless of how they sound in short sessions 

Makes sense. I agree that Wilson and Magico are very different.

Probably comparisons between Magico and Focal (which you know well) will be more appropriate.  I hope this one isn't skitzo like that last Magico you had : )
I don’t think diet Dr Pepper tastes especially close to real thing but the 10 calorie version (Dr Pepper Ten) is amazing.
Best of any of the Tens

tx- too f’in hot
To continue the soda discussion, sounds very "Pepsi-ish." (WC knows what I mean based on an analogy he used, oh, about 120 pages ago on this thread).

I’m more of a Coca-cola guy, but Pepsi’s good too.
Easy there henry,
Have patience.  Lot easier to spend other people's money, eh?
Don’t hold your breath on analog guys. Not in 2021 I don’t think but maybe 2022. But bank on it WC has a more expensive (than Rossini and clock), more analog sounding dac on the way that he’ll unveil pretty soon
oops, how could I have forgotten the system shaming that faxer also always does. But there it is again.
Pathetic

WC clearly stated he had zero interest in purchasing GTA speakers and instead purchased the Maggie’s and raved about them and also purchased the MLs.
Sure if you let him test yours without buying them I’m sure he will, just like he did with Tekton. Good luck
I'd already judged the Maggie 20.7 as preferable to that speaker, so no interest in revisiting.  If others are, that's fine, preferably on another thread but I guess that's up to WC.  This thread is about Alexx / M6 / Boulder / Gryphon / Soulution level stuff at this point.  That level of stuff was page 1 of the thread, 300 pages ago.