My latest find. What's yours?

Category: Music

I love browsing the music stores, looking for something new and interesting. I admit, the percentages are not good, buying cds unheard. I read reviews and browse through the racks losing track of time. It is so rewarding when I find that gem. The reason for this post is my latest find, my new favorite cd. Wow! Kenny Barron and Regina Carter, title, "Firefall", on Verve, 314 549 706-2. It's a jazz recording of piano and violin. Five star performance and sonics. There is a version of Sting's "Fragile" that is out of this world. The bass notes on piano are startling. There are also tracks by Monk, Wayne Shorter and Oscar Hammerstein.

Just to be clear, this is anything but lounge music. It is original, different and inspiring. If anyone takes a chance, I would love to hear your impressions.

Also, what recordings have you come accross, that make all those duds worthwhile?
blbloom
Two cds come to mind.

1) Grant Green - Idle Moments - really nice.
2) Ella & Louis - Verve Master Edition.- Killer performance.
(1) soundtrack to "O Brother, Where Art Thou?": intro to American "roots music". Hear a 1959 Alabama chain gang sing an authentic spiritual/work song as they chop wood. Allison Krause floats with the angels on "Down in the River to Pray"; Ralph Stanley sings "O, Death" -- if that ain't the blues, nothing is.
(2) Keith Jarrett "The Melody at Night, With You": jazz piano in intimate setting (Keith's living room!)
Both selections are exquisitely recorded.
Hey, man... good topic. I've been thinking about starting a thread about what be ticklin' my ears lately, but have been too busy with listening and work, listening and work, listening and work....you get the idea. Thanks for getting me off my ass.

So here it goes:

"Avalon Blues, A Tribute To The Music Of Mississippi John Hurt" (Vanguard) - A compilation of artists and their take on the man's music.

"Scar" (Mammoth)- Joe Henry

"For The Stars" (Deutche Grammaphone)- Anne Sofie Von Otter Meets Elvis Costello

"Blue Boy" (Twangtust)- Ron Sexsmith

"Living The Blues" (Akarma) - Canned Heat

"The Lights Are Getting Dim" (Epitaph) - The Neckbones

"Temporary Shelter" (Koch) - Johnny Dowd

"Come On In" (Fat Possum) - R.L. Burnside

"Meet Me In The City" (Fat Posssum) - Junior Kimbrough

What about the rest of the Audiogoinisti? I want more...
Renee Fleming's "Beautiful Voice". I don't understand a single word she's singing but it's "Stop ya' in your tracks" beautiful! This disc will be a great test for your speakers and electronics.