My experience adding subwoofers to 2 channel

My Kappa 9 speakers are rated to 29hz and they sound pretty good in my 18x24 room...powered by McIntosh mc1.25 amps...l was looking for another layer of bass to enhance the sound..my first experiment l took my SVS pb16 ultras from my theater room and tried them first...it sounded terrible,didn't blend well..couldn't hear a difference until you turned in up then it rattled the room apart........my final experiment worked..l used 4 Velodyne minivee subwoofers(1000 watt rms class D sealed 8 in.) and after hours of calibration l hit it......lve got the bass response that exeeded my expectations. ....l should have done this along time ago....can anybody tell me of another subwoofer that may work even better?
128x128vinnydabully
Tim, sorry I did not get back earlier. I can not believe people are so far off on the subject of time and phase. Time and phase are intimately related. wire two of your subs backwards and see what you get. That is 180 degrees out of phase. You get exactly the same effect when the distance between speakers is different. The wave length of a 100 Hz tone is about 10 feet. If you put one sub 5 feet closer to you than another you get exactly the same effect as if you wired one speaker backwards. Music is not one tone so you get every frequency altered by a different phase angle. Then you have a range of frequencies to deal with at the cross over which depending on slope may be as high as 250 Hz. It is also not only about what you hear but about what you feel. In phase you feel the thud of that bass drum strike. Out of phase and you feel nothing. You can easily demonstrate this to yourself by reversing wires. A system that is aligned in phase and time is a wonderful thing to hear and feel. It is much more realistic. If I blind folded you, drove you around and brought you into the room you would think you were in a jazz bar. I'm afraid millercarbon is spouting off with excuses to support his infatuation with SWARM systems, all of which are entirely unsupported assumptions which in reality are entirely wrong. Humans are marvelous creatures. When they don't know what is going on they make stuff up. They mythologize. Zeus, great explanation for lightening don't you think?
Oh, and Tim. I am not saying that in certain situations a DBA system may not be the easiest way to reasonable bass performance. It may work reasonable well for many people. What I am saying is that in the end it will not produce the most accurate and realistic results but do to do so usually requires advanced digital speaker control that at this time costs at least $6K. If however you have a tape measure, some savvy and some luck, you might be able to get there without the computer. An important part of this hobby is being able to screw around with your system to see if you can get it to sound better and in doing so you learn. So, start screwing around! 
mijostyn writes:
I’m afraid millercarbon is spouting off with excuses to support his infatuation with SWARM systems, all of which are entirely unsupported assumptions which in reality are entirely wrong.

This is what psychologists call projection. Whatever you are doing you project onto someone else. Instead of actually listening to what they are saying.

Which if you did mijostyn, what you will read if you can be bothered is pretty much everything I have written is based on my actual experience. There is posted among the many threads my actual experience of actually reversing phase, adjusting phase, and trying different locations.

What actually happens- actually not in your imaginary theory world but a real live room- is when you reverse the phase the drum does not disappear. You still hear it. In fact it sounds almost exactly the same. Not quite. You can’t ever change anything and yet have everything be the same. But you said, "Out of phase and you feel nothing." That could hardly be further from the truth.

Now at this point I have to be clear. I’m talking about the lowest bass component only. Of course if you reverse phase on the main speakers the drum is going to go from being focused and located to the opposite, coming from everywhere. At very low frequencies though, and with four subs- which is what we are talking about- its a completely different story. The kick drum does not disappear to "nothing". Talk about unsupported assumptions!

So much for your projecting your own faults onto me. What about your projecting your own misunderstandings onto the Swarm?

You say everything about the SWARM is entirely unsupported assumptions. In fact the distributed bass array concept is based on extensive real world measurement and experimentation. In sharp contrast to your fantasy of it being all "unsupported assumptions" it is in fact only there because of the measurements. In other words it was not a case of a theory in search of evidence. It was the exact opposite of that. It was a case of testing and measurement and then eventually figuring out how to explain why we get those measurements. And only then what to do about it.

Its Audiogon. Someone is always getting something worse than backwards, then posting authoritatively about it. So nothing new here. But just because others do it doesn’t mean you have to follow them over the cliff.
Hello khiak,

I just sent you a personal message.  You should see a 'dialogue bubble' icon on the upper-right side of your screen, next to the 'shopping cart' icon.  Just click on that and my pm should show. Click on my pm and I think you can hit reply and attach your video clip before sending. 
 I'll re-post on this thread once I receive it.

Tim