My experience adding subwoofers to 2 channel

My Kappa 9 speakers are rated to 29hz and they sound pretty good in my 18x24 room...powered by McIntosh mc1.25 amps...l was looking for another layer of bass to enhance the sound..my first experiment l took my SVS pb16 ultras from my theater room and tried them first...it sounded terrible,didn't blend well..couldn't hear a difference until you turned in up then it rattled the room apart........my final experiment worked..l used 4 Velodyne minivee subwoofers(1000 watt rms class D sealed 8 in.) and after hours of calibration l hit it......lve got the bass response that exeeded my expectations. ....l should have done this along time ago....can anybody tell me of another subwoofer that may work even better?
128x128vinnydabully
The idea mijostyn has (and others, he is far from alone in this) of bass timing being smeared is of course based on the false assumption that human hearing responds to all frequencies equally.

That this is false is proven by a simple experiment in which subjects wearing headphones are played test tones of short duration. This test demonstrates conclusively that less than one full wavelength of low frequency bass is not heard AT ALL. Say again, human hearing does not even register very low bass less than one full wave duration.

Understand what this means? A single 20 Hz wave lasts 0.05 seconds. Anything 20 Hz lasting less than 0.05 seconds will not be heard at all. Sound travels roughly one foot per millisecond. Ballpark. So think about it. Bass can travel FIFTY FEET before we are even capable of hearing it.

So I ask, from the point of view of timing- not frequency response, just timing- how in the world is it possibly going to matter where you put the subs? Any normal size room the bass is going to leave the speaker, bounce off half a dozen surfaces, probably more than once, all before you even hear it.

Yes timing is super important - at high frequencies. I take heat on here all the time for saying speaker placement being off as little as 1/8" matters. But that’s high frequencies. Low bass is completely different.

Just one of several deeply ingrained yet totally false concepts hampering our ability to understand the beauty of the distributed bass array.
avanti1960,

You may want to try the 'room crawl method'.  Place your sub at your listening position, play some music with good and repetitive bass and walk around the perimeter of your room counter-clockwise starting at the front right corner.  Walk slowly listening for an exact spot where the bass sounds best to you (accurate, detailed and natural).  When you find this spot in your room, just move the sub to that position and verify the bass sounds good from your listening seat. You can use your RTA at this point for fine tuning if you'd like.
      If you prefer good bass response throughout your entire room, and not just at your listening seat, the only solution I'm aware of is a 4-sub DBA system.

Tim
I have recently added 2 more 21 inches subs to the existing 2 12 inches subs to my main speakers. I find that the system sound more engaging with just the 21 inches subs. Maybe the subs are out of phase with each other. I do not know how to integrate them.