Musical Fidelity A3cr preamp vs. A308CR preamp

Hi: Could anyone guide me on purchasing advice between these two preamps, in the context of our phoncentric system. We have a Threshold S/500 amp running a pair of Innersound Eros. The source is a Basis Ovation turntable with a Denon Dl03 MC cartidge.
somut

Showing 5 responses by zar

Rich, so a cartridge upgrade would be better? I was also wondering about the ultra thin power cord and phono cables on the Pro-Ject.
Thanks for responses.I will look in to the Graham Slee if it comes to that. Roscoe, What cartridge upgrade do you think would be a good match for my TT? I also am curious as to the meaning of "with that TT and cart" I'm not mad, just would appreciate an elaboration and I value the input.
I hope this thread isn't too old and some of you guys can respond. I have a MF A3cr pre-amp mated with a Aragon 8008BB power amp. My Aragon is also dual mono so I get great separation. How do you guys rate the phono section on the MF? I have just recently returned to vinyl and while it all sounds great, I have been reading so much about the joys of a separate phono pre. What would I need to spend and or consider to better the MF's phono enough to justify the expense? Would a better cartridge be the way to go? My TT is a Pro-Ject Carbon with Orofon Red cart. Thanks.
Detail is great, much better than I expected. Some recordings can still be harsh on the highs as in digital, I guess I was expecting more warmth all the time. It's just been so long for me with vinyl but I can tell you that I'm way back in to it. That said I guess I want to maximize what I have.
Rich, I always do this, I jump in to something and cut corners. So far the Carbon sounds real nice and better in many ways than my cd set up. I'm really enjoying getting back in to vinyl but sadly I was one of the idiots that ditched their records, or most of,after cd came out. It has been lots of fun re-buying choice albums. Since most of the vinyl I have been buying is used maybe that's the reason I didn't spend more on the rig. What I do want to do is get the best cartridge for the Carbon just before the point where the cart would be too good for the table. A separate phono stage as well as I have been talking about. The recording where the highs were digital like is Bad Company's first album.