Musical Fidelity A308 pre vs. Pass Labs x-1

I want to upgrade from an Audio Researech ls16 to the Musical Fidelity or the Pass.Which one will mate better with my McCormack dna1 revA, Cary 303/200 cdp and Vandersteen 3a sigs. I've heard the Musical Fidelity but no Pass dealer nearby. Recommendations appreciatiated.
rdale4a731

Showing 1 response by bigkidz

Not even a close call. The X-1 walks all over the MF preamp, really. I owned the X-1 for some time and borrowed the MF from a buddy and the Pass was way better, no contest, honest otherwise I would have bought the MF from my buddy cheap and put the extra money in the bank from the X-1. For the comparision I used the Pass X-250 amp, Kinergetics KBA-75, Graaf 5050 tube amp, and Carver Signature series II.

The Pass is more dynamic, much better bass definition and much deeper (some of the best bass from a SS preamp I have heard for the price), better separation of instruments, smoother highs and more extended, mid range was different and varried from CD to CD but overall I preferrred the Pass because it better layered the soundstage, wider and deeper soundstage.

Happy Listening.