Music Server vs. PC vs. Transport vs. ?

I don;t really want to add another rack in my living room. If I do, I may end up sleeping on one of the couches. Ideally, I would like to do the following:

1. Either use a pc or a server to store discs and have them accessable.
2. Have a way for the kids/wife to hook up their ipods
3. Have a way to get digital radio (xm, sirius or even computer streaming, doesn;t matter)
4. Do all of this WITHOUT degrading the sound quality ( i know, the ipod, by definition will do this)

My understanding of most high end DACs is that they do not have USB ports, but that is the ideal port to use to negate jitter. As I was researching this, I got the latest issue of the absolute sound, and they address some of this a bit. My feeling seems to be that one pays a HUGE premium for a server, that both their DACs and PCs DACs suck, and one has to get a USB to AES or other adapter, and still use an external DAC. It also seems that if one is willing to use a lossless system, that the universal opinion is that a hard drive rivals or beats any transports.

So my initial thought would be to get a pc with an ipod dock, run lossless, get an additional adapter say from Wavelength, and use the current dac. That adds at least two pieces, maybe three.

Help?????
Thanks,
Chris

Help??????

Thanks,
Chris
128x128mount_rose_music

Showing 9 responses by kana813

Make the wife and kids happy, use a Mac as your music server and take look at the Slim Devices Transporter. It will give you a high quality digital output for your existing DAC and allow you to stream Internet radio into your listening room.
How refreshing, another self serving post from Steve N. advertising his products.
Chris- with my upgraded SB3 running via a wireless connection, no "pops, ticks, and random outs," with WAV files or Internet radio. Also, no "pops, ticks, and random outs," on my wife's new MacBook using iTunes with Apple lossless, WAV or AIFF.

As I told you, I think the SD Transporter with it's clock input linked to your DAC, I think you'll get outstanding
performance.

Aloha,

Dan
Sammie-

"it seems the Mini or Imac will offer superior sound to the laptops."

Why?

"Both Mini and Imac come with a small IR remote"

The Macbook and Macbook Pro also come with the same remote and Front Row.

Chris-

Yes, you're missing something, you need something to get the digital signal from a Mac into your DAC.

You can use a Toslink cable or a USB or Firewire to SPDIF converter to connect any Mac to your DAC, but the SD Transporter will give you wireless access from any Mac, and it's clock input can be linked to your DAC.

If you have high speed Internet, the SD Transporter will also give you access to Internet radio.
Sammie-

Like you, all I have is a Macbook. I agree it sounds excellent.

I don't see how a mini or an Imac running off an SMPS is going to sound better than a Macbook running on batteries.
Deshapiro-

Have Mr.Lapporte and his partner seen this:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/2/27041.html
Under1630-

Just wondering....

What's so special about a soundcard with a Toslink output, powered by a noisy SMPS(does PC Alchemy use linear PSUs?) with no clock link running into a stock Benchmark DAC-1?
Hdomke-

You can use a iTouch as a remote to control iTunes on your
Mac, see:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/71

Instead of buying a DAC, you should look at upgrading your amp with a TacT S2150. Less boxes and cables.