Music Server buying considerations

sorry if covered before
i use a small fanless pc into a usb isolation unit and then into a Chord Qutest DAC.  I have a 4tb drive attached.

So.... is a music server really better? or just a overpriced pc?    If better, what are key considerations when buying one?  they all seem so overpriced to me.   I would want one without a DAC in it.  thoughts? recommendations?

thanks 
mlapenta

Showing 1 response by mgrif104

Yes, there has been a good deal of discussion on this very topic so you’ll find some thoughts to help you.  The short answer is yes - a dedicated music server really can be better.  And, sometimes the difference is very significant. That doesn’t mean that your setup is bad, or that you couldn’t optimize the route you’re taking.

Considerations:
library management - the apps built for servers are better than iTunes or applications like Audivarna (which has some appeal).
Inputs - do you need wireless or can you go wired (better)
Output - what’s best for your DAC?  Some are better w/ USB. Others are better w/ SPDIF, Ethernet, etc.
Budget - more $ does typically buy better sound.  Certainly that’s been my experience.  I found the Bluesound Node 2 to better my optimized Mac Mini.  And, I found units in the $2k range to better the Bluesound Node 2.

In sum, what you have works.  But, you might find if you audition a dedicated server that you like the results.  Then again, you might not think the results worth the extra $.  Only one way to find out.

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.