Music in the 40-80 Hz range

I've been low-passing at 40 Hz with a 24 dB/octave slope to a pair of Velodyne HGS-10s, because the 3 dB down point for the KEF Ref 1s is claimed to be 45 Hz.  Yesterday I inserted a passive fully balanced 80 Hz high-pass filter to shunt frequencies below 80 Hz to the subs and raised the low-pass to 80 Hz, both 24 dB/octave.  But I wonder if it might be preferable to have the 45-80 Hz range reproduced by the speakers rather than the subs.  How much music is in this range?

Advice sought.
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd

Showing 1 response by cd318

@dbphd, 

There's very little music in that range, (most of it lies further up in the midrange) but without that range some of your playback will sound very thin and weak.

Apparently, what most of us consider as good strong bass is far closer to 60Hz than it is to 30Hz!

So if your speakers are flat down to 40Hz, then that's good enough. If not, then a good sub could be of interest if you don't mind the extra cost and complexity.

In your case, if we can assume that your subs are better at handling <80Hz frequencies than your Kef's, then I would leave things as you currently have them.

Your Ref 1s should then benefit from having all that tough low freq workload taken off their hands.

Why not try some reggae at healthy volumes and see what you think?