msb Ilink vs. wadia 170i ipd docks

I have finally gotten a weeks worth of critical listening of the msb ilink and the wadia ipod docks and I must say that the msb is truely better in every way and it's not subtle. I am running them both directly to the benchmark dac/pre and through atc scm20-2 active speakers running balanced with an analysis plus gold coax cable. The detail is much higher in the msb, the bass is not as tubby, and it's almost like a blanket was lifted off the speakers after I switched to the msb. I know there is a huge difference in price but I know alot of people were on the fence about this one so I wanted to help them put and give my 2 cents worth. This ipod dock is pretty killer and I can't even imagine what it's going to be like when I hook it up to a great dac.
billyg1

Showing 12 responses by usarmyvet91

Dreadhead i never said it was a fair comparison. I was simply saying if you want the very best possible ipod transport then go with the msb. The msb can replace your hi end cd transport and you would never miss it. Msb deals with the jitter with fifo buffers and the jitter output is very low. The wadia is a good piece of gear don't get me wrong. I own wadia gear, wadia i170 and wadia 521 gns mods. I am sure their will be better ipod transports in the future from other companys. I don't use a cd of any kind in any of my systems. My main 2 ch system is where i use my msb. I have a few other systems, in one of them i have the wadia i170. I hate it when people say wadia ipod dock, its an ipod transport.
I have the msb ilink and wadia i170 gns mod. The msb ilink is better in every aspect than the wadia. I had both units fed to my wadia 521 dac greatnorthern sound co mods. I replaced my cd transport in favor of the msb ilink. The msb unit uses fifo buffer and has very low jitter output. The wadia has one of the worst case of jitters. I am not knocking the wadia i170 most of my digital audio gear is wadia however in this case the msb ilink is far better unit.
The wadia i170 has gotten a lot of press however msb was the first to come out with an ipod transport. For the price the wadia i170 is an ok ipod transport. I was not really impressed with the unit. The best ipod transport out their is the msb ilink, far better than the wadia unit.
Nrostove Msb has been around along time, they came out with one of the first dacs. Your telling me msb is going out of business, hard to believe. Msb makes very good digital products. I have a few ipod only systems wadia 170, krell kid and msb ilink. The ilink is the best ipod transport out their period. I have hooked up my msb ilink and my wadia 170 with great northern sound co mods to my wadia 521 gns mods and their was no contest the msb ilink had better bass and the sound stage was wider. The msb ilink has replaced my mark levinson 37 transport.
Nrostov thanks, your right "at the end of the day who cares" As long as your happy.
Nrostov i also have an ipod touch 32gb with only itunes plus and it sounds great hooked up to my krell kid, better than my ipod classic. I guess the solid state hard drive is better like you said.
They only modify the ipod classic, i called them and ask if they could modify my ipod touch to work with my msb ililnk.
Nrostov i agree, i would like to know what the exact amount of jitter the wadia i170 produces. My question is why didn't the wadia engineer give you the jitter levels of the wadia i170 then? you would think he knows. I called msb and they told me the msb ilink has 7ps of jitter.
Hi Justin my name is jerry. Justin i have gear from wadia and msb and i have e-mailed and talked to both companies about which product is better and of course they will tell you their product is better. I have the wadia i170 mod version by gns and it's great piece of gear. I hope that wadia will come out with a higher end ipod transport in the near future. Until then i am using the msb in my main system.
Not to change the subject but if you want a really good ipod player, check out the krell kid it rocks. The kid has taken the place of my bel canto cd-2 player in my paradigm system.
Justin hi i was thinking of going with asi mods. I would really like to read your post on the difference of the stock and the asi.
Sonusdude nice i have both wadia i170 gns mods and msb ilink and i have always said the msb ilink is better. I will have to send mine in for the upgrade. I have a question what if you dac upsamples already?