Moving VPI TNT, Wheaton Triplanar, Transfiguration

I'm moving my VPI TNT, Wheaton Triplanar, and Transfiguration Phoenix across country using a moving company (insured as 'high value item' for full replacement value). The moving company is going to crate the turntable, but I'm not sure whether to dismount the cartridge and/or tonearm. I would prefer not to have to start the setup from scratch when I arrive, as everything is set up well now. But, it's certainly not worth risking damaging anything in the move. I'm thinking the best thing may be to remove the tonearm either totally from the table, or along with the removeable armboard, and leave the cartridge attached to the tonearm, transporting those parts together, but separately from the table. I'm concerned that the bearings/other parts of the tonearm might be stressed if left on the table. I thought I would also take the platter off to prevent wear on the bearing. I thought I would remove the feet and rubber balls that support the table, and pad the table as carefully as I can. I have the original packaging cushions for the table but the box is in no shape to travel. I also have the original boxes for the tonearm, cartridge, and motor, with all the foam, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
What do people do when transporting tables to shows? I wouldn't think they would completely disassemble/reassemble them, but I'm sure it's a more controlled environment.
128x128ctlphd

Showing 1 response by ct0517

An additional tip that helped me alot for setup later. This has to be done before you move it but it made set up at the new spot less frustrating.

The TNT has a large footprint and the detachable legs make actual relocation of the legs difficult I found when it got moved around. Especially if one person was doing it.
Making a template of the legs and motor/flywheel made setting it up much easier.

If it rests on a light colored isolation platform like mine did you can trace the legs and motor with a crayon or something else that is easy to rub off. Or you can get a large sheet of thick paper – the kind they use for krafts. Just prior to moving slide it under one area at a time. Trace again. When you remove it, cut out the holes for the legs and motor/flywheels. Put this template down on the new surface first and begin the assembly. When set up just cut the template out.
Cheers