Moving up from Pioneer PL-C590 with PA-5000

Hi all, by first post here - so please be gentle :)

I have a question that might get a lot of opinions, but I'm actually looking for a solid, practice based advice.

I want to move up from Pioneer PL-C590 with PA-5000. The turntable is a pure magic, but as always, I wonder if I can do better - sound wise.

A bit of a background. I tried the turntable with Lyra Helikon, Benz Micro Ruby 3, Zyx 4D - all sound phenomenal - these are the cartridges I would want to use with the next turntable.

I tried Yamaha PX-2 - nice, but not even close to PL-C590. Tried Phase Linear PL 8000 II - similar to Yamaha. Both sound dull and lifeless compared to the Pioneer.

Tried Sony Ps-x800, joy to use, but impossible to fix. Sound is still not as good as the Pioneer by a large margin, but much better than Yamaha and Phase Linear.

Also tried Pro-Ject 9.2 Evolution - was very surprised to discover that the Pioneer is much better. I was expecting the Pro-Ject to be superior.

Also tried many cheaper turntables - Pioneer PL-600 DD, Pioneer PL-540. No contest here. Nice turntable for the money, but PL-C590 "stops my heart" with it's beautiful sound.

No big question, is there anything that would make me wish to sell Pioneer PL-C590 with PA-5000. I don't care about 250lb monsters that are currently produced. Budget is up to $7,000.

Thanks a lot in advance for sharing your experience.

-Nick
nick-seattle

Showing 1 response by downunder

I own an Pioneer Exclusive P3 and P10

I used to own a VPI HRX

The Pioneer P3 is the better sounding table. An absolute classic.

The PLC-590 is a nice turntable, however if someone thinks it is as good as Pioneers best table is dreaming.

Seriously Sanmanlan, you absolutely no idea.