Moving up from an Oppo 205

I have an Oppo 205 that I am using as a DAC with an Aurrender N100 via USB.  It sound surprising good and actually a better sounding (and functioning DAC) than the one in My McIntosh C2500.  I not only listen to my collection of Hi-Rez files but also now Tidal with MQA.   What would be a noticeable upgrade for a DAC and or DAC with steaming abilities. 
Only from a 2ch audio perspective.  
Thank you
vdosc
Good question which brings up another question of what would be the price range for improvement.  So there are some in the 2-3k range such as Mytek, then there are as several in the 5-6k range such as PS Audio etc. all the way up to DCS with a Bartok at 15k to Vivaldi at over 100k . 
Cant afford the the Vivaldi :(  but don't want to spend 2 or 3k for a "lateral" move.  I would guess then that some those in the 5k plus region would ( or should ) provide a noticeable improvement in Sound quality as well as a stable and reliable source.  ( ie the DAC in my McIntosh C2500 often locks up when changing sample rates, hence my move back to the Oppo which is very stable and actually sounded better ) I would say the DCS Bartok would be to top of the budget would prefer something less expensive that would still be an improvement 
The Mytek Brooklyn sounds great and one of the earliest DAC’s with MQA.

Available inexpensively as people upgrade to the DAC+ and the Manhattan.
Yes but are these a noticeable improvement in sound quality over the Oppo 205, or simply comparable ?
Thanks
I started with Oppo 205 for both 2-channel and HT, then purchased a Marantz SA-10.  I still use Oppo 205 for HT and multi-channel audio, but only use SA-10 for 2-channel.  SA-10 requires a very long break in time but once broken in, it sounds very 'analog' yet detailed.  Vocals and instruments sound real.

I also use the SA-10 as a USB DAC with Innuos Zenith Mk2, but still optimizing Intel NUC with iFi accessories and Euphony playback software since Zenith does not support DSD 4x.  I still play SACD and CD physical medias on SA-10 when I want to get the best sound.  I also purchase high-res music, mainly in DSD 2x and 4x, sometimes in PCM as well.

Now I have 2 units of SA-10 in different houses.  Please note that the SA-10 does not use a D/A chip, but instead upscales to DSD 4x using FPGA which is then sent straight to analog output stage.  This player is really underrated and not getting 'glowing' reviews it deserves.
vdosc, if you decide to sell your Oppo 205 please let me know I would like to upgrade old Oppo 95, thank you very much.
The Lumin T2 is reasonably priced and I found it to be a step up from the Oppo 205.  The Oppo is really great for the money.  So is the Lumin too.  You get a little more refinement with the Lumin and really good sound staging.  It won't play disks though.
I can't compare my rig to the others discussed, but I am very happy with what I have: Cambridge Azure CD player as a drive (not using upsampling) into PS Audio Directstream Sr. with Bridge II. I also have an OPPO 105 and recently did a comparison with it as a drive and the Cambridge was clearly better: depth, drive, transparency, overall imaging. This goes into Rowland pre and mono blocks, then Totem Forest Signatures and a Gallo sub. The PS with Bridge is about 6k new. I got the Cambridge used for a reasonable amount and it seems to be much more solid than the OPPO. Hope this helps.
I’d go the upgrade route with Modwright. Once I rolled in NOS rectifier and out put tubes my 205 went from a pretty good but somewhat lean'ish sounding DAC to an incredible sounding world class DAC/Preamp. You’ll spend between 2000-3000 or so for the full upgrade and it’s well worth it. I just checked the site and they are running a Pre Black Friday 20% off sale.

Dan and his team are an absolute pleasure to deal with. 👍

http://www.modwright.com/blog/post.php?s=2019-11-06-early-black-friday-mod-sale-20-off
   Whoever recommended the Border Patrol DAC, it hasn't streaming capability. The OP asked for combo DAC/ streamer recommendations.
I’ve bought 3 Modwright players--the Sony 9000, 9100, and my current 5400 with all Dan’s upgrades. I’ve loved them all and bought all used on Audiogon. My whole system has been bought used except for some of the cables. I’ve had great success in getting very reliable products. Dan REALLY stands behind his products, even if you bought it from someone else used. And the key point is, his players SOUND fantastic, in comparison to the stock players or much more expensive players.  His Oppo players are also very good sounding, but there is some risk at getting them repaired in the future as Oppo is no longer in business.

Bob
I own a PS Audio DSD and a DSD Junior. I also own a Chord Qutest as well. I am quite happy listening to any one of the three. When Listening to the Qutest I feel like it can't get any better. Then I switch to the DSD and find that it is in fact, better, more involving. And the DSD Jr. is as well. If you have self control, something I obviously don't possess, I'd say find a clean DSD Jr., upgrade it's firmware to the new Windom, and enjoy it.

I also have an Oppo 105 and a 205 so I m familiar with their sound. I have never heard a Mytek....
I would first look at which USB cable you're using. WireWorld series 8 was a big improvement for me in my 105
I was in the SAME position as you with my own- last batch mfg Oppo 205.
I loved the DAC in the Oppo but wanted more streaming features for 2 channel use. I also wanted to cut the cord needing a TV to see whats going on visually during playback. I ended up selling it (quickly) and getting the  MHDT Labs Orchid DAC for those days I seek the tube NOS flavor and then pitched in a few extra bucks and bought a factory reconditioned Cary DMS-500 which had every possible option for streaming as well as a myriad of up-scaling choices thru its True Bit feature - perfect for days I am in the mood for the other end of the spectrum and I want to go all in on the DSD up sampling rate thing. I love both!
ifi pro idsd or chord qutest, border patrol has an amazing sound but is the farthest from mqa...don’t go for mytek they fall short in most sound comparisons.
whatever you buy ,if it’s mqa make sure the firmware is upgradable like ps or ifi because mqa has many types from 16 44 to 24 384 or maybe more and it’s evolving .try to find something with a linear power supply or  upgradable to one.
chord are great but say that mqa for them is downgrading. ps audio make the dac separate than the mqa filter because they claim it compromises their design so only the streamer deals with mqa . if you find something that plays mqa (and upgradable)and has a tube output stage i think that’s the best way to go because tubes can be the cure for digital sound and you can roll nice nos. iv’e just started tidal and my old nuforce is only 24*96 but even now playing mqa sounds better.i’m on a tight budget so went for a used ifi idac2 that’s upgradable to mqa(250 on ebay).

I own a Oppo 205 and the 95. 
toddalin, (open for offers on the 95). 

I modified the 205 with a linear power supply. The 4K video quality with discs and/or a HRZ Firestick streaming 4K Netflix is fantastic!

For audio though I use a PS Audio Direct Stream dac with the Windom firmware. It just sounds better.

ozzy
The 205 is a killer player. For 1080p and 4k video discs it is tops. The 205 is imo a good CD player, but it is a SUPERB standalone transport because it gets the PRaT right. I’ve put it up against several players as transport and it was a better transport to my ears.

I am trying out both Tidal HiFi and Apple Music streaming services now. A good quality redbook CD on my 205 feeding my DAC sounds much better to me.

Pair the 205 with a good DAC and be very happy. You will be sorry if you let it go.
Oh I agree the Oppo 205 is really impressive. And I will not be letting it go!
it’s a shame that Oppo quit making these products.  Again what I am searching for is an upgrade for my 2 ch audio only by way of a noticably better DAC and or combination DAC / transport (ie streamer ) with MQA for Tidal and my hard drive music.
Thanks for all the post 
Is there any benefit having the modwright upgrade if I am only using the 205 as a transport?
Look at Lampizator from $3k or up
And don't forget top sub cable the sell final touch audio
Cellist, most natural sub cable I have found under$2k at $850
Truly puts your digital on another level and at around $800
As wireworld,curioys,or lightspeed and a few others Lampizator 
Sell the cable also trial period on their product and having vacuum tubes also adds more naturalness and  upgrading tubes more tuning to your specific taste.
I fully concur with those recommending a Modwright mod to stock Oppo.  Dan did my Sonica and it is a remarkable improvement on stock in every way. Plus he is a gentleman and his service is outstanding.  
IMHO there’s one clear choice AT ANY PRICE provided you’ve got a budget of at least 5-6k. The PS Audio DirectStream DAC is the cats meow. And enjoy free firmware updates for life which the company typically provides once or twice a year. You could spend 20k and not get a better sound. https://www.psaudio.com/directstream-dac/
I use my Oppo BD 105 as transport and HT use, but just added the Exogal Comet plus DAC
for my tube gear setup and Solid state system
I have been considering the Innous streamer/CD ripper, or the Exogal Vortex streamer
I haven't had the Comet DAC n my sytem for very long but from what I've heard so far, its definitely a step up in sound quality! I must say I love everything that the Oppo BD 105 can do
Why are you upgrading? Are u satisfied with your oppo? If you are not, what are u looking for in the new device?
upgrading an Oppo is a hard thing to do.  But you can still use it as a CD player, blu ray player, 4 k player and use a DAC after the Oppo using it’s bitstream feature.
i love NAD and Classe.
i would go with a M32 as a 2 ch integrated amp, that has all the streaming capabilities or with the classe sigma 2200, but u will loose some streaming capabilities.
@vdosc. I’ve had the exact same setup as you. Aurender N100H, Oppo-205 and c2500. I upgraded the DAC to the Bryston BDA-3 and it had a significant improvement. My N100H and Oppo-205 are both connected to it. 

@tweak1

"I would first look at which USB cable you’re using. WireWorld series 8 was a big improvement for me in my 105"

Wouldn’t no USB cable at all be best? Just plug a drive right into the socket?

BTW, I'm a fan of WireWorld.

Yes I would agree, I have experienced noticeable improvement with cables. Current a Shunyata Venom USB cable which was an upgrade from a previous Audioquest wich was an upgrade from a basic USB cable.  Also I have realized noticeable improvements with power cable upgrades.  I have all Shunyata  Alpha NR and Sigma NR on everything.  Ironically my power cable on my Oppo cost more than the Oppo cost when bought new!  But I was not a subtle improvement !
Adameos. What DAC is your 205 feeding? I have a 105D and am considering a similar move.
Before you do anything, I would recommend trying some Vibrapods under the 205's feet.  Frankly, I was never much for footers or cones, but I had some Vibrapods lying around I just thought I would try it.  IMO, the sound became much more harmonically complete and less "digital" for lack of a better word.  Just try it and you might be surprised.  Or not. 
Does anyone like the Aurender A10?
streaming , storage, and DAC all in one ?  I do like my Aurender N100. And my Oppo but my goal is again one box that does all for 2ch file playing and streaming . And gain a noticeable SQ improvement.  The Oppo will move to the TV room.....
And Yes I have Vibrapods on all components .  They do help 
thanks
Aurender A10 is a very nice all in one box solution. I am not 100% certain that you hear improvements in the DAC section over Oppo. The only way to know is to compare them in your own system.

If you already like N100, then I think you will be pleased with A10 functionality and ease of use.