Moving on from Parasound P5 Dac or Preamp

I have a parasound P5 driving my new Nad 298, which replaced a hypex nc400 amp that died.

this drives a pair of aperion vs grande towers and an SVS sub.

I chose the P5 as it had a good home theatre bypass a knob to adjust the sub output and a dac / phono stage.

lately I’m starting to think I want a better Dac.

currently it’s fed by a node 2i.

Any suggestions for preamp or Dacs?

I was looking at a benchmark la4 preamp and rme dac 

Suggestions welcome.

looking to spend no more than 5k all in.

Also on a separate note I have a hegel bugle2 phonostage which is really great but I can’t seem to get rid of rf Humm despite being well grounded, is this common?

lummock

Showing 1 response by james633

The benchmark is fine. It is more of a clean clear sound than expansive soundstage type of DAC. It has noticeably strong bass impact. I would say this is entry level highend… they have a 30 day trial so no risk.

I like bench mark better than Wyred4sound. I have owned both. The bench mark is as good in all aspects and better at others. The volume on it really sucks though in use. Hard to control with a remote (motorized) and I think their pre amp would be needed just for that along.

mu favorite I have heard is the chord Hugo TT. Really great unit but $6k. Maybe used. I feel that it betters the benchmark in all aspects but not by a huge margin but better to my ear. Sounds bigger and less “digital” sheen in the highs.