Moving on from Parasound A21 (maybe?)

I'm currently using an A21 amp to power my Focal 1028 BE speakers and I don't quite feel the love anymore with my music. My system is modest, all solid state, and I'd like to keep it that way. I've been exploring stereo amps ($6K is the limit), but don't know how much of an improvement I can make. A used Pass Labs X250.8 would be ideal if it wouldn't double as a space heater (operating temp is way too high), so I'm left dabbling with the unknown. The new Bryston 4B cubed has caught my eye, but it's too new to find any critical owner reviews. I'd greatly appreciate any ideas on a possible direction to take, if any, that would musically be a step up from my A21. Beyond my Focals, my system consists of: Simaudio Moon Neo 310LP phono preamp, Avid Diva II SP TT with SME 309 tonearm, AT-ART 9 MC cartridge, Bryston BCD-3 CD player, Parasound JC 2 BP preamp, and all of my ICs are Silver Resolution from Signal Cable (XLR wherever possible).
professorsvsu

Showing 5 responses by 213runnin

I owned the A21  for four years and also became disenchanted, with it and a P7. I experimented with a few different options including NAD  integrated amplifiers and finally ended up with an Adcom amp, the 555SE.  It’s been a revelation for me, Adcom still makes a great amp.

a more open sound with detail in the highs and air that I never got with the A21 for some reason.  I did get a Halo P5 though, and I’m happy with the combination. 

In a pair of $8000 speakers?   

Another thought in in addition to my earlier post is to see what a Focal dealer would suggest.  They usually carry products that are found to have synergy with each other.  I am seriously impressed at the current Adcom products though. 
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was questioning the idea of replacing tweeter and midrange capacitors in a pair of $8000 speakers.  

Prof, your description of the A21 Not delivering some of the high detail was what  I heard for myself with certain tracks of music that had more detail in my car system. I’m not sure why Parasound  tuned the a 21 this way but after I noticed that I couldn’t not hear it. 

The Adcom 555SE  has this detail that I was missing. I really can’t say whether it would be as refined as some of these high end amps  being discussed, but I’m confident in saying it’s superior to Emotiva’s XPA amps, because I had an XPA-3 at one point as well.  I

I  don’t think Adcom  uses top shelf parts like some of these high end amps but for 1300  i’m pretty happy. Adcom has higher end amps like the 575 and 585 that may come Closer to the same parts quality but then they cost 2500 to 3000.  

billspec, your experience with the Signal Cable IC's reminds me of something.  When I had the A21 it was running speakers that were laid back.  The speaker cables I had for most of that time were Audioquest Type 4, also laid back.  Add that to an amp that is warm sounding and you have bad synergy.

So one has to be aware of the sonics of each individual part of the system.  Perhaps the A21 with brighter sounding cables and or speakers would be much better.