Moving on a sailboat - bookshelf speakers?

I've decided to spend a year on a sailboat. I'm loath to give up my home system as it's about as good as you can get before spending silly money. (LX521s, ATI/Parasound, maxed-out Linn LP12 with Blackbird arm and VdH Frog) All of it is going in storage except for my Ayre QB-9 Twenty powered by my M1 Mac Mini. 

I am interested in opinions on great bookshelf speakers that actually need to live in a bookshelf. (No room for stand-mounted speakers in a 40' monohull sailboat.) I also need a good integrated amp to power the speakers. (I'm leaning towards the Audio by Van Alstine Vision SET 120 Control Amplifier.) 

I think I've got about 18" tall by 12" deep as limitations. Maybe less. (I'll update when I know for sure.) 

What speakers should I be looking at? Various reviews like the KEF but declare that it needs stands. Others declare the sub-$1000 B&W anniversary speakers and don't mention stands. I wish I could fit a pair of LX Minis, but the associated mid/bass tube knocks it out of the running. 

marktrav

Mark,

If you happen to live in the NW, visit Gig Harbor Audio.

For $1,000 they offer a pair of bookshelf speakers that

beat anything I have heard suitable for bookshelf.

They actually have a pair mounted in a bookshelf.

Not sure if you have considered the marine environment's effect

on speakers? There are brands designed for tougher conditions

as you will be experiencing. 

Keep us posted on your outcome!

Get a bigger boat and solar panels, take it with you. No really be safe and I am green…with envy I love being on the water.

I never heard the LS50 Meta but have heard the older one. They were ok. Not very good for rock IMO. The Guru won’t be as detailed but I feel more natural sounding. Best thing is it’s more or less made to be right up against the wall. The bass is surprising! 

Thing is IMO any speaker made to be out in the room a bit is going to be boomy.