moving from house to an apartment.. goodbye 802D's

My beloved B&W 802D's with their down firing bass ports would probably drive the neighbors crazy.
I am considering moving to a pair of Revel Performa 126Be bookshelf speakers and using a Velodyne DD-15 raised off the floor.  Anybody have any experience with both the 802D's and the Revel Performa 126Be speakers?
lovepianos

Showing 1 response by yyzsantabarbara

I would let the speakers go and get a RAAL SR1a earphones. I wish I had these when I was in an apartment. The enjoyment factor with these will be exponentially greater than any speaker in an apartment. When I was in an apartment, I tried monitors and desktop speakers and they did not come close to the sound quality and freedom I now have with the RAAL SR1a. I use them late at night in a house.

People are comparing the sound out of these to mega expensive setups. My SR1a setup is almost as good as my floor stander setup. No joking on the quality of these phones. They are not like headphones.

https://raalrequisite.com/store/

You need some warm electronics to make them shine. You can also use their dedicated amp which is also very good and I have demoed for a few weeks. It has only 2 inputs though, so I use a 2 channel setup for the SR1a that supports multiple sources.

- CODA 07x preamp
- AudioMirror Tubadour III SE tube DAC
- Gustard X26 Pro ESS DAC
- Tuner
- SACD player
- D-Sonic amp (though I have tried many others, KRELL, CODA, Benchmark)

Listen as loud as you want with a 2 channel sound presentation. You also have the added benefit of removing the biggest obstacle to good sound, the room.

I heard Stereophile will be reviewing the SR1a and the dedicated amp in an issue soon.