Most Realistic Recordings

I was recently listening to my daughter practice the piano and I was enjoying quite a full-body sonic experience. I later went to my system and picked out a few piano recordings that I suspected were recorded well, but as I listened, I just didn't have anything close to the same experience. The piano just didn't sound right, nor nearly as full as I had just experienced while listening to my daughter. I know what pianos sound and feel like. I grew up playing many different types and understand their differences. I've done some research on recording pianos and have learned they are particularly difficult to record well.

As I've delved deeper into this audio hobby/interest and acquired more respectable gear, the more general question that keeps coming to my mind is this: How did this music sound at the time it was recorded? (presuming it was a person playing an instrument, not something "mixed" or electronic). Meaning, if I had been in the room, would I have heard or felt the same? Or is there something about the recording setup/micing/mixing/etc. that has failed to capture the moment? Or has the audio engineer intentionally filtered some of that out?

Now, being an audiophile (i.e., a music lover) has many paths and many goals. For me, I love lots of different kinds of music and am not too caught up in the ever changing landscape of audio gear and the need to try something new. I hope to get to the point where a well-captured recording sounds realistic in my room on my system. I like full-spectrum sound (i.e., if the note/sound is in the track, I want to hear it). I know that accurate, realistic reproduction through any system is depends a great deal on the equipment and the room it's being played back in. I don't expect my system to give me that jaw-dropping "I'm there" experience (yet), but some day I hope to get there.

So, to my question above, I would very much love to hear if anyone feels they have heard an album, a track, a recording of some kind that could be used to test out the "realism" of one's system. What would you say is a recording that more accurately captured the sonic hologram of the moment it was performed. Any genre is ok. And if you think a particular studio/company does this well, I'd love to hear about it!

And, please, I don't want the conversation to about gear or room treatment. This is about the recording itself, the source material, and how accurately the entire moment is captured and preserved. I respect everyone's personal experiences with your system, whatever it's comprised of. So, please don't argue with each other about whether a recording didn't sound realistic to you when it sounded realistic to someone else. Let's be civil and kind, for how can you deny what someone else's ears have heard? Thank you! I'm excited to learn from you all!

tisimst

My best recordings were engineered by Rudy VanGelder at his NJ studio during the late fifties, early sixties. I have a copy of Rhythmstick, which was recorded there in the final years of it's existence (1990). It was co-produced by Creed Taylor who founded CTI Records.  It features Dizzy Gelespie, Art Farmer, Phil Woods, Bob Berg, Airto Moriera, Flora Purim, Jimmy McGriff, Robben Ford, Rumaro Lubambo, and notable others. It sounds fantastic as do most of the Rudy VanGelder engineered recordings.

Also, most anything mastered by Bernie Grundman sounds great as well.

My first "CD" purchase(early 80s) is Keith Jarrett - "The Koln Concert", original issue in 1975. An ECM issue made in W-Germany.  Solo piano.  I read somewhere he did not get the grand piano normally used and had to play a less quality instrument.  But he amazingly literally makes that piano sing and resonate/harmonics.  I have no idea what was used to record or method.  Recently purchased a JAPAN SHM-CD release.  Even better.  Through the many years my audio equipment has changed many times and I always use this CD as a go-to for comparison.   Can I hear his grunts and howls better. Is the foot pedal noise more present.

I have not read every post of this thread and know you did not want this to be a pissing contest for everyones audio gear but a recording could be the best possible in the world. If you do not play back on quality audio gear you will not hear it properly. 

I have yet seen someone mention :

Discogs - Music Database and Marketplace

https://www.discogs.com

This website is a bibliography of every album/CD release and all versions, country of origin and date.  I now use this resource to find Re-Masters of my favorite recordings.

Lawrence From MI

Two more jazz recordings:

Milcho Leviev Quartet's Blues for the Fisherman, and

The Chevalier Brothers' Live and Jumping

@lrlacosse

I have not read every post of this thread and know you did not want this to be a pissing contest for everyones audio gear but a recording could be the best possible in the world. If you do not play back on quality audio gear you will not hear it properly.

I don’t disagree at all, but in a way, that’s my purpose here. I know there are folks here that have gear I could only dream of that make music reproduction simply amazing (i.e., a well-recorded, live event sounds really authentic). I know I’m not there yet in a number of ways, which is why I am soliciting ideas for tracks I can use to check my own system--something to look forward to, if you will. If I only have tracks that have mediocre recording quality, my gear, no matter how good, will only appear to sound mediocre. I certainly won’t only listen to great, live-recorded music, but when I do, I hope to experience it in all its glory.

Hope that makes sense.

And thank you for your suggestion about searching in Discogs!

Great thread, now I have so much new music I need to find. When I was auditioning speakers I used piano recordings to select the ones I liked best. Thanks 😊