Most non-fatiguing 2.0 nearfield setup for $1000

Hello everyone, first-time poster here. This might be a little lengthy, but I won't mind if you skip over it if you just want to recommend some laid-back speakers, a good amp, or a good dac that might be lesser known. Anything is welcome. Like the topic suggests, I'm trying to put together the most non-fatiguing setup (DAC+amp+bookshelves) that I can and my maximum budget is around $1000. My goal is to have something that's less fatiguing than silence. Okay, I'm kidding, but I'm just generally looking for something that's laid-back, warm, perhaps somewhat mushy is not a bad thing in my opinion. I realize that ultimately my own subjective listening will determine what's best for me, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Right now I'm using an early 90's entry level Harmon Kardon receiver with JBL bookshelves that have gone through hell. I don't think it's bad, and many would probably enjoy it but I find it to be too fatiguing, even with some EQ applied. I find this setup to be too harsh for my liking, not terribly bad, but I'd rather give them to my parents or my sister if I can't enjoy it to its fullest.

Lately I've been considering a Peachtree Decco as my source. Perhaps I could stretch for the Nova but I'd rather not as money is tight. I'm not a tube person but whenever someone mentions "tube" there seems to be an unwritten rule that it's warm (not the tube getting warm, or maybe that's what they meant! ;_;), even if it may not be universally true. If getting a separate DAC, I don't mind USB or digital out, though I understand some (most?) onboard audio doesn't have the best digital out so I may need to get an inexpensive sound card for this purpose. In general, it seems to me that I should just go with whatever DAC is neutral, and I'd probably be pleased with an Emu 0404 USB. Cheaper internal audio cards like the Auzentech Forte and Asus Xonar Essence ST from what I've read may or may not have internal noise and may or may not be bright sounding.

If I had to get a separate integrated stereo amplifier, I might just go for something cheap like the Gizmo t-amp or something vintage off of craigslist. If you have better suggestions I'm all ears.

Speakers. Here's the fun part and probably most important from what I gather. Right now I'm looking at Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE, Energy RC-10, PSB Alpha B1, Av123/Onix X-LS and ELT525 (I think I might prefer the X-LS more), Triangle Stella, or whatever cheap Spendor bookshelves I can get my hands on in the US. I might even go for some Paradigm Atoms which seem to be all the rage these days though they're both "bright" and "not-so-bright". It's hard to go by such a subjective descriptor in my opinion, plus I don't know if people sometimes refer to their older Atoms which are supposedly nowhere near the new ones. Well, this is basically a summary of where my one month of research has led me. I hope I did not bore you, though I'm sure it did since I'm so green at this. Any input, criticism, commentary, answers, questions are appreciated. Thank you.

Oh, I almost forgot, but should I bother with tube buffers? I had no idea what the heck one of these things were until recently, so I have not yet been able to do much research but if anyone has anything to say about them, I'm eager to learn. Thanks once again.
yogaflame

Showing 1 response by jriden

The dates in this thread are old but you may be here for the info so I'll post my pinion. You can see reviews for these components on http://iHi-Fi.com/ and several relevant blog posts including one about tube buffering digital-sourced music.

Disclosure: I'm an Audioengine Authorized Dealer, passionate audiophile, and blogger. My orientation is having fun squeezing out the most performance I can per dollar. I build systems and listen to everything I sell. I will allow you a 30 day audition if you buy Audioengine stuff from my web site. Then you can judge for yourself.

For this spec, I highly recommend a set of Audioengine A5+ powered studio monitor speakers. A monolithic amp is built in so that eliminates the need for an external amp. These speakers are neutral and transparent assuming good input. Also very powerful for the size and with excellent bass response. These speakers are supreme best buys and should cost 3X the asking price or more -- $399 to $469 depending on the finish. If your budget allows, add an Audioengine S8 Sub for greater bass extension and power ($349.)

Audioengine D2 Wireless DAC -- It has the wonderful Burr-Brown PCM1792A 24 bit DAC chip. D2 takes optical or USB input. The wireless ability is phenomenal. Works without dropouts or noise and does not burden your home network, it sets up its own. My D2 transmits through 4 walls, 2 of which are solid, steel reinforced concrete. The wireless and optical aspects provide good isolation. Cost $599 and you can add more receivers to set up a total of 3 audio zones within 100 ft. radius.

With a wireless DAC you are not confined to having your computer (or digital source) close to the speakers. It can be 100 ft. away.

This setup will make all your music reach it's highest potential whether you play lowly Mp3's or 24/192 digital files.

If your budget is tight, back off to the Audioengine D1 DAC at $169. This makes your system a tabletop or rack setup but the cost is only $169 and you still get a nice DAC chip -- the Asahi Kasei AKM4396, a sweet sounding 24 bit item.

The Decco is a waste of money though it sounds good. Instead, get a Bravo Audio Ocean Tube headphone amp ($125) and use it in the signal path as a tube buffer (preamp.) Upgrade to a premium 12AU7 tube and you'll never hear the source as digital. The tube creates great smoothness and mellow sweetness without adding the usual faults of tube amplification. Totally non-fatiguing music results.

One more thing: this is not nearfield only. The nearfield aspect is available for sure. But these A5+ Speakers can power a good-sized room of 350 sq ft or more.

Non fatiguing? You bet, listen all day to this like I do every day. Questions? Other concerns? Check out http://iHi-Fi.com/ to get answers and discover the best of computer audio.

Enjoy the music.