Most Important, Unloved Cable...

Ethernet. I used to say the power cord was the most unloved, but important cable. Now, I update that assessment to the Ethernet cable. Review work forthcoming. 

I can't wait to invite my newer friend who is an engineer who was involved with the construction of Fermilab, the National Accelerator Lab, to hear this! Previously he was an overt mocker; no longer. He decided to try comparing cables and had his mind changed. That's not uncommon, as many of you former skeptics know. :)

I had my biggest doubts about the Ethernet cable. But, I was wrong - SO wrong! I'm so happy I made the decision years ago that I would try things rather than simply flip a coin mentally and decide without experience. It has made all the difference in quality of systems and my enjoyment of them. Reminder; I settled the matter of efficacy of cables years before becoming a reviewer and with my own money, so my enthusiasm for them does not spring from reviewing. Reviewing has allowed me to more fully explore their potential.  

I find fascinating the cognitive dissonance that exists between the skeptical mind in regard to cables and the real world results which can be obtained with them. I'm still shaking my head at this result... profoundly unexpected results way beyond expectation. Anyone who would need an ABX for this should exit the hobby and take up gun shooting, because your hearing would be for crap.  
douglas_schroeder
Ouch! That hurts, Shadorne! That’s really interesting but did you know that the digital cable between the CD player and the amp, you know, the one that carries digital data is directional? Bet ya didn’t. 😄 Digital, schmigital. The signal propagates just like an analog signal. You know, at near light speed. Since it is made up of photons. Have you been sleeping in class again, Shadrack?
@geoffkait 

Sigh! Yes of course digital propagates as an analog signal. The key is to understand that the threshold between a 1 or a Zero is so large and that checksum and other additional packet error checking information allows a packet of digital data to arrive in the memory of downstream devices perfectly.

If digital was not such an incredibly robust method of data storage and transmission then internet and computers and software would not function at all. What errors we do encounter are down to hardware or programming errors in the devices and switches themselves and not the ethernet wires which work to spec or don't work (in which case a dropout can occur)
Geoff,

Can you answer one simple question? In my video I show a track playing even though I'm disconnecting the Ethernet cable.

What, in your opinion, happens when the cable is pulled but the sound is still playing? 

It's a simple question. 

shadorne
Since there is no audio clock timing information conveyed over an ethernet cable it can’t make any difference at all UNLESS your gear is crap (something extraneous affected by the cable used like grounding or load or digital noise related crosstalk on to the audio signal). Same for an identical file streamed on the internet halfway across the world or one from your local server.

Why can’t folks understand this?

>>>>Uh, there is no clock timing information conveyed over a fuse that is located right where the AC comes into the amplifier, either. Yet the fuse is directional. Imagine that! 😳
So much for that theory. Next!

shadorne
@geoffkait

Sigh! Yes of course digital propagates as an analog signal. The key is to understand that the threshold between a 1 or a Zero is so large and that checksum and other additional packet error checking information allows a packet of digital data to arrive in the memory of downstream devices perfectly.

If digital was not such an incredibly robust method of data storage and transmission then internet and computers and software would not function at all. What errors we do encounter are down to hardware or programming errors in the devices and switches themselves and not the ethernet wires which work to spec or don't work (in which case a dropout can occur).

>>>>That's pretty much the same ridiculous argument the CD industry has been cramming down our throats for the past 35 years. Perfect Sound Forever. But obviously the error detection/correction for CD is not perfect. That's why you can improve CD playback so much. Why should I believe any digital device is perfect just because it's digital?