Most highly anticipated LP reissues on 2022?

As Garth Brooks was in 1992 proving to the world just what gullible suckers are many Americans---his audience actually believing his music was/is Country, a new voice emerged to prove that there were indeed still new artists making great music. Iris Dement’s debut album---Infamous Angel---introduced lovers of true American Hillbilly/Country music to a singer/songwriter of unusual brilliance.

Even before that album’s release, other superior artists in the genre had become aware of her, some of them---Emmylou Harris and Jerry Douglas---appearing on the album. It---and its’ amazing 1994 follow-up My Life---were released by Philo/Rounder and Warner Brothers (respectively) on CD only. Both were finally issued on LP (vinyl for you youngins’ ;-) in 2013 by Plain Recordings. Unfortunately, those LP’s are not of the best quality (I have the My Life LP). In spite of that fact, the LP’s---now out-of-print---sell for over $100 each on Discogs (though I got ML for $50).

I have been aware of Vinyl Me Please Records for some time now, but have not been interested enough in their releases to sign up for a monthly (or longer) subscription (I bought their Albert King "King, Does The King’s Things" on Discogs. Fantastic!). VMP announces the releases for the upcoming month in their four categories: "Classics" (NOT Classical music), "Essentials", "Hip-Hop", and "Country", and one may make a subscription to one, two, three, or all four genres, each of which has one new reissue per month.

Yesterday I received my monthly promotional email from VMP, and to my surprise and great delight I saw that Infamous Angel was to be the January 2022 reissue in the "Country" genre. A month’s subscription runs you $43, which buys one the LP of your choice. VMP’s reissue was overseen by Iris herself, and features not just a 180 gram high-quality LP pressing, but a gatefold cover with extensive liners notes.

But here’s the thing about the monthly VMP reissues: the number of subscription preorders they receive determines how many LP’s they press. If they get 1,253 preorders, they press 1,253 LP’s. The LP immediately goes out-of-print! I placed my order today. A benefit of being a subscriber (if you sign up for one month, you may cancel your subscription at any time) is that you get a discount on all VMP non-subscription titles (how and why they offer them I don’t know). I am also getting the Irma Thomas album Down At Muscle Shoals---recorded in 1967 at Fame Studios with The Swampers---the fantastic studio band heard on all of Aretha Franklin’s Atlantic Records albums, but not released until 1984, and then only in Japan. Two great artists, both amongst my very favorites of all time. Can’t wait to hear them!

For those who haven’t yet heard Iris: she may be a more talented songwriter, singer, pianist, and guitarist than even Eno ;-) .

128x128bdp24

I am in total agreement with you about Iris, but I wonder why you felt it necessary to take the swing at Garth to make your point?  It comes across as smug, to me.  And there is no need for that, Iris can and does stand on her own.  I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just urging more kindness, I suppose.  

@rpeluso: But it’s okay to mock Eno? ;-) I actually left out the snark I was tempted to direct at a very famous late-60’s/70’s Rock Star who has reinvented himself as an Americana singer (in the 80’s he was pretending to be a Jump Blues singer. Had a great band then, though.). I for one resent interlopers.

As for Garth: Geez, I thought everyone viewed him as do I and every Roots musician I know. An easy target, yes, but considered the male Shania Twain by real Country music artists. Oops, there I go again. Guess I’m getting cranky in my old age.

If you think I’m bad, interview Steve Earle. Remember what he said about Shania? "She’s the highest pair lap dancer in Nashville." Funny, but I kinda like her. More Pop than Country, but I love Pop music.

Steve is a well-known opinionated a-hole.  He has had tons of tragedy in life so one would think he could be a bit kinder and not so critical of others.  Again, his talent can stand on its own.  Envy, jealousy, what is it that motivates it?  Wish I knew.  

Anyway, appreciate your reply, I know we share a lot of musical taste.  

I don't begrudge Garth Brooks (or Shania Twain for that matter) his (and her) success; good for him (and her). But knowing how the music business works, and as a music consumer and serious lover of Hard Country, the success of entertainers like Garth and Shania results in unfortunate consequences, for both myself and, more importantly, for, shall I say, artistic music makers. With the sales figures of Garth's and Shania's albums, record companies went looking for similar music acts, not other artists like Iris Dement.

But what the mass audience buys is also of course what determines the kind of music that gets made. I figured everyone here has more refined tastes than that of the general public. If I was mistaken, my apology to anyone offended. I thought I was sharing an inside joke. ;-) Rather than sounding smug, I may have sounded snobby, and probably am.

Don't forget to check out the great work Iris did with her long time friend John Prine.

Excellent point @bigtwin. I was late to the Prine party, but John immediately saw in Iris what we (including Merle Haggard, from whom I learned of Iris) all did.

I’ve seen Iris live thrice (gettin’ above my raisin’ here ;-), amongst my most cherished musical experiences (and I saw The Beatles in 1965, The Beach Boys with Brian in ’64---my first concert, The Who with Keith Moon in ’68 and ’69, Hendrix twice, Cream twice, Albert King, Big Joe Turner backed by The Blasters, Johnny Cash and June Carter, Rockpile, Little Village, Van Dyke Parks, and a whole bunch of others. And I can’t wait to again hear Iris live. An ASTOUNDING songwriter and singer.

bdp24

I am looking forward to a great 2022 for new Music.

Happy Listening!