moscode 600 " the newest mods"

I have a maxi version 600. I bought it new in the 80's. It's been a very good amp and I still appreciate it's contribution to my system. I notice that George Kaye the original (engineer) designer of the Moscode is now offering some major mods and a rather different approach for his original design. The description and resulting changes to the sound are very alluring. The upgrade package could run into the $1500.00 range. I obviously like George Kaye's ideas on reproduced sound and I'm constantly trying to improve my set up but, it's a lot of bread, so I was hoping some of you may have had some of these modifications carried out and might be able to offer some comment on the results. I would actually appreciate any insight in helping me arrive at a decision.
tweakyman

Showing 1 response by tweakyman

I tend to agree that it's not a cost effective move in terms of resale, but the alternative (using it as a trade against Moscode's newest amp will run into a few grand $$$$ and I'm just not able to spend that much. Recordho's point that the wondercap upgrade was very worthwhile helps me picture what I might be getting for the price of the mod as George also upgrades all the caps in one of new mod packages. I also realise that the 2 big power caps are getting old and may have to be replaced in the near future, that would also be done in Kaye's full-out mod package in fact he steps the caps up tp 55000mfd (if he can get them) or at the very least he provides and installs new 25000's. I thank all of you for your input.
I still hope to hear from some folks that have actually had some of these most recent mods carried out by Kaye.

Most people responding to my thread seem to equate the Moscode as being ideal with planars or electrostatics. I have used this amp together with my dynamic accoustically suspended 80 series (pre matrix) B&W 802's aided by Cardas point to point internal soldered connections (sand box isolation damping) and Townshend super tweeters. they sound fine to me and celebrate every improvement I make upstream.