Morrow SP7 Upgrade.

Currently using Morrow SP4 Speaker Cables on Low Frequency (bass) in bi-amped system. Various Speakers used, at the moment Revel Ultima Studio. The Morrow's sound best of the cables I have driving low frequencies. At the moment Morrow have 60% off in their trade up program, (I would trade up SP2's I have in a budget system). Anyone have experience going from SP4 to SP7's, and how much better? What other alternatives for bass frequencies would you suggest if not the SP7's?
initforthemusic

Showing 12 responses by 213runnin

I’ve had Morrow IC’s for a few years. I sold off most of my electronics and started over early this year and bought a couple pairs of stranded wire IC’s along the way. I began to think that my new integrated amp wasn’t able to take advantage of better cables until I moved things around, and took the stranded wire IC’s out of the mix.

I put in all solid core stuff. MA3, MA1 and an Audioquest, along with Wireworld speaker cables. Wow, the clear focused sound was back in spades! Tighter bass, no harshness in the midrange, and imaging so well. Long story short, those stranded cables are staying out. I ordered a pair of MA5 with Eichmann silver to go with my MA3.

The trade up program is really a nice way to upgrade!

BTW initforthemusic, I've got the little brother to your Pioneers, the BS-SP22, that I swap into the system.  For the money, these Pioneers are quite shocking.
Bondmanp, no problem.  What I think Morrow says is that 500 hrs is the magic number for break in, but a lot of it will be done by the 400 mark.  I  can not guide you as to your bass issue except to suggest that the Morrow cable is more accurate, and is giving a more accurate representation of the music.  

I didn't notice what speakers you have, or the amp, but they have a part to play in the warmth as well.
I checked out MS audio and Sunny Audio on ebay.  It set off some red flags for me.  Their definition of Litz seems off.  MS Audio seems to be a Chinese company and the english in the ads is weak.  

I'm not sure what to make of this, but it could be some more of that chinese knock off product, or at least cable that is poorly manufactured.  I don't think it's for me.
Thank you, initforthemusic, perhaps the MS audio stuff is good.  I have a personal preference to stay away from Chinese sourced electronics and accessories when I can because of their manufacturing industry which is allowed to rip off any design they choose.  They do not respect Patent laws or human rights, and often make such products with substandard materials.  

The Cullen products look pretty good but since I've been using Morrow cables and with my gear found them to be jaw droppingly good, I prefer to stick with them.  With their deep discount program, easy pay program and 60 day trial period, they really have won my loyalty.

Perhaps with your gear other cables do well, and in your location, buying products from the US is probably not cheap.  In the end, you gotta go with what works in your situation, and more power to you.
Well, they might be the real deal, but a buck gets ten that MS Audio didn't come up with the design on their own.  They probably took it from a factory there that makes high end cables for a legit brand.  
Look, I don't want to belabour the point, or try to make anyone feel bad, so I'll end my participation with this response.  

My point is, many companies just like MS Audio steal the technology from legitimate companies that have spent DECADES researching and honing their designs, struggling to establish themselves in the marketplace. 

Then they see their life's work being copied and sold for super cheap by some Chinese based company and their customer base eroding as people go for the rip off products.

PS Audio, Kimber, Audioquest, Monster and the list goes on and on.    

I'll never buy most product that ships out of Hong Kong or China for this reason.  They are stealing from our economies and taking advantage of our desire to save a buck.
Some of Sheryl Crow's stuff is really done well.  A good recording really excels with a decent system for sure.  
I ordered the MA5 on Sept 3, with Eichmanns and a 10 day burn and from what I've read, arrival could take almost a month.  In the mean time, I ordered a pair of MA1.1 since their trade in program makes prices so attractive.  The second pair I've only asked for their 2 day burn, so I might well receive the 2nd pair before the first.

Either way I'm psyched as I've only had the MA1 and MA3.  
I just got an email from Morrow yesterday informing me that the cables are in the mail.  Right now I'm assuming that they are shipping both together, they should be here by October 2, so under a month with the MA5 and a ten day break in service.
Wolf, thanks for your impressions, I've got a pair of their MA1 too.  When I use it on the preamp to amp jumpers (Nad C375BEE) the bass gets really tight.  Some might say less, but I prefer to say, "tight".  Also, highs seem cleaner or more focused.  Not sure why.

Up here in Canada we are big weed growers, but I'm afraid the strongest thing I take is maybe Advil, or caffeine in various Starbucks or Kicking Horse varieties.  Too much caffeine makes the music sound "shaky".
Okay, the Morrow MA5 came in yesterday and I've got them going from cd player to integrated amp.  Everything has improved.  Bass, vocals, highs, imaging.  I think it's really just more detail getting through, which improves everything, but it's really something.  I had the 10 day burn in, so they have 240 hours on them already.  It seems like I can turn it up more too, and it just stays clean and clear.

Note, I had a lesser cable on the pre amp jumpers, and now have the MA3, so that's gotta help too.  Both of these Morrows have the silver Eichmanns.

I thought the MA1.1 might get here first, or get shipped together with the MA5, but no dice.  I ordered them a week later, so they'll probably arrive a week later or so.
Thanks for your thoughts on the MA5, in_shore.  The full potential, that's a good description of what the Morrow's provide.  I'm quite impressed with them, the superior detail makes me realize I could use better speakers.