Morrow IC's

I just noted that Morrow has a Christmas and New Year's sale right now.  35% off.  I am looking at buying a pair of IC's from them since they have a good Money Back Guarantee and trial period.  No lose situation.

I can't find many reviews from people that have used the Morrow MA 1.1 or MA 2 IC's.  

Anyone have any experience with either of these cables?  Both are in my price range with the discount.  
will62

Showing 9 responses by 213runnin

Cables are system dependant, and I suspect effects of a new cable in the system can be hampered by a less resolving cable in the same system.  

I had had some pretty decent sounding Morrow MA3’s but with the entry level Audioquest Type 4 speaker cable the improvements were somewhat limited.

i now have Wireworld Oasis 7 speaker cables along with a more transparent amp, and it seems to make a difference.  Love Morrow, btw, I’m going to buy a second pair of the MA 5 later on and probably some of their speaker cables.  I add their burn in service to most of what I buy from them.
Wolf, good points raised.  In my case, I paid for break in because the first two Morrow cables I bought, I didn't get the break in service.  They recommend over 400 hours to break them in and it took a loooooong time to achieve this.  I did hear some odd effects at times, the cables were quite off and when I unplugged them at some point to compare to other cables, it took the Morrows a couple of hours to sound normal.

So when I stepped up to the MA3 and MA5 with Eichmann bullets, I didn't want to go through that long burn in again.  With their deep discount options, it's a worthwhile option, YMMV.

Which ever way people want to go, Morrow really makes some excellent sounding cables without the retail prices.  I love to read about other's experiences too on the Morrows, it helps to have a body of knowledge on what to expect.

fsonicsmith, I haven't heard Morrow audio suggest that if you unplug them you must start all over.  I just scanned the several page document on break in that Morrow includes with their cables.  It does not state anywhere that if you unplug you must start over.  It only says if you move the cables during break in,  it may take 1 to 2 days for them to settle.  I actually experienced this, and it was not subtle, though it didn't take a day for them to settle.

Recently I canceled an order from Morrow.  It was painless and quick, and the customer service with them has always been good.  I can't really speak to your experience, your system interacts with cables and perhaps the Morrow design isn't the best for your situation.  In my system, they are better than some solid core silver cables I also have.  The Morrow design is actually quite popular, several companies use the same idea of silver plated copper individually insulated.  Kimber, Audioquest, Wireworld and a few others.  

Either they work for a system or not.  Hopefully you find what works best for you.
You know, it doesn’t matter which cable thread one visits.  The cable brand in question is called everything good and bad under the sun, with it not uncommon to see a smattering of your disgruntled buyer or owner.

This one waited four days past the very generous 60 day trial to try and return them, and we’re all supposed to toss our cables in protest I guess.  

And what cable thread would be complete without your brand switch poster, saying he’s found the nectar of the gods with some other brand.  He either soft sells the other brand, or comes right out and claims this brand makes him do back flips it’s so good.

All that’s missing is a bowl of popcorn!  They say this hobby is dying, with the younger set just not interested, and it’s no wonder.
I agree that detail is king in our hobby.  It's what creates the superior sound stage, imaging and realism in what we hear.  It's all about doing no harm to the signal, and everything affects the signal unfortunately. 

I'll put this here because I've made several posts already, and it is a Morrow thread(hope that's ok will62)  My system has started sounding freaking incredible, and I think Morrow cables are the reason.

About 2 weeks ago when I added a shelf to my audio rack, I made a concerted effort to quit swapping cables, something that I've been doing every few days or so to my system.  I have a few extra pairs of mostly RCA IC's, and was trying to find some combination that would be superior.  

I should list my gear here too.  Totem Rainmaker speakers (4 ohm), Parasound Halo P5, Adcom 555SE amp(a 2018 version), Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC.  I mostly play songs from my iphone straight to the DAC.  

Cables are Morrow MA5 from pre to amp, MA3 from DAC to Pre and Wireworld Oasis 7 speaker cables, not biamped.  The Adcom has a PS Audio AC5 power cable, the P5 and Bifrost have stock(going to change that in the next month).

I also have a Nad cd player, but haven't had the success with it, but it has a lessor cable, the Black Mamba II from Audio Advisor(house brand of a sort).  And a Pangea power cable for it, nothing special.

Anyway, after over a week of the same old sound, two nights ago, my jaw started dropping.  The same music I've been listening to had more detail, realism, and eyebrow raising live-in-the-room sound that I have never experienced before.  Not from my previous system which had Paradigm Signature S6 speakers and totalled over $10,000 all in.  I have NEVER heard any audio system sound this good either, though I don't get out to  audio shows, and most friends have avrs and such.

It takes a bit of warm up for the system to get to the jaw dropping stage, but I'm telling you, it's crazy good.  The components are frankly nothing special.  The speakers have good pedigree but the drivers are off the shelf, lower budget stuff.  The DAC might be considered above average, maybe the pre too, I'm not sure.  The point is, they are not multiple thousand dollar pieces.

The only thing I can chaulk it up to is cabling.  Because it was when I stopped changing it around and did what the Morrow company recommends, leave it be, let it settle in.  I'm now going to get another MA5 for the Cd player, and maybe an Audioquest power cable for the DAC.  At this point mp3 files from the DAC are sounding far better than redbook cd music from the C565BEE Nad.  

Anyway, ignore the naysayers, better sound is really possible.
I guess I am an audioholic, since my last post I have upgraded no less than 3 sets of cables in my system. A stock power cable, the speaker cables(I got new Audioquest Rocket 44 biwired for over half off) and the cheap USB cable all got upgraded.

And now I’ve ordered a second pair of MA5 with silver Eichmanns at the sale price. 18” length from pre to amp. I need one more upgraded power cable, and I’ll probably take advantage of the Morrow sale for this too.

Then I plan to enter a 12 step group! LOL

on going from MA4 to 6, I’m going from 3 to 5 to get a bigger count increase in signal wire too.  I haven’t talked to Mike on this but I did notice an improvement over the MA3 feeding the amp.  
Mine are probably 3 weeks or more off since I opted for the 10 day break in.  I'm going to have MA5 from cd player source to amp.  I've swapped in Ascend Sierra 2 speakers with the ribbon tweeters for more detail over the Totem Rainmakers.  

We'll see what Morrow can do.
So the MA5 came in, and I used the break in service for 240 hours. They’re only 18” long as it’s connecting components in close proximity( Nad C565BEE and Parasound P5).   Sound is quite good, with more detail and separation over the MA3 it replaced.

with my Rainmaker speakers, I’m wondering if they’ll be able to fully reproduce all the detail, and what speakers would be a good upgrade path if I stay in the Totem family.

Another thing.  Oddly enough, my Schiit Bifrost multibit sounds better with non Morrow cables.  The Black Mamba II from Audio Advisor, to be specific, just sounds nicer than the MA3’s.  This cable uses Audioquest perfect surface copper +,  with silver plated RCA plugs.