Morrow Audio 300B1 SET Monoblock

Around 4 months ago I surfed the Internet and the look of the Morrow Audio 300B1S SET Monoblocks interested me. This company is an unknown one in the audio industry and its owner Mr. Morrow has never been in the audio magazine. However its 300B Amp is not cheap and I wonder how it sounds and how it can compete in this killing field of Hi-Fi equipment. Since I like taking risk, I then tried my luck to spend big buck on this “Never Heard” 300B.

2 months ago it arrived and I think it has already run-in now. I then invited two friends to join the audition; both of them have more than 25 years of listening to Hi-Fi and music. They have had extensive listening experience on expensive equipments such as Mark Levision, Jadis, Mackintosh...

The Morrow Audio 300B1S SET Monoblocks, together with the TJ 300B Mesh Plate (NOT JJ300) delivers a really 3D picture of individual musical instruments. The image is sharp, pinpoint and in focus that you could expect only from very expensive solid state Amp. But the sound is sweet and warm and beautiful that you could only expect from very expensive tube Amp. The harmonic and “air” is excellent and the overall balance is superb.

When we listen to human voice, it is the voice of a live singer. You can “see” the singer’s throat is moving. The Steinway sounds of the Steinway, NOT from a Yamaha. You could even "smell" the wood of the piano. You can feel the strings of the violin and guitar are vibrating. The overall sound is very real and you would feel you are in the concert hall, not listening to electronics. One of my friends just wanted to close his eyes and listen. He even said: "I don't want to talk about the sound of the Morrow Audio amplifier because I benefit more from simply enjoying it."

Of course, it has some weakness. Brass instruments are not brass and metallic enough. And the bass in not really deep for my 12 inches Tannoy Monitor Gold in the Lancester cabinet.

In short, if 5 stars is full mark, both of my friends rate the Morrow Audio 300B1S SET Monoblocks a 4.5 stars. I think my taking a risk gets my reward.

I don't know Mr. Morrow personally but I think he deserves my appreication. Good work!

My equipments:
CD: CEC belt drive and CEC decoder
Pre-amp: Vintage Fisher 80C with Telefonken Tube
Amp: Morrow 300B1 SET Monoblock with TJ 300 B Mesh Plate
Speaker: 12 inches Tannoy Monitor Gold in Lancester cabinet
cheungben
Thank you for your comments, Benny. We hope you enjoy your amplifiers.

Please note that the model Benny bought from us is before we implemented an interstage transformer in our design, which replaced the Teflon coupling capacitor. The reproduction of brass instruments described is improved with this change. Also, bass reproduction is highly dependant upon the speakers chosen.

Mike Morrow,
Morrow Audio