More questions from Chris L.

Hello AudioGon people,

I'm going to begin purchasing speakers in the immediate future and found an incredible price for what would seem to be a fair set of studio JBL S312 II floor monitors. At the Best Buy I work at the really good deals we get are usually the best model of speaker or television in the line.
For instance the Studio JBL's retail for $799.oo a pair but I can get them for $243.oo, the same price I get on a pair of $400.oo shelf speakers from JBL.

Overall they seem to hit good sub freq's and are semi punchy. The mids feel accurate but a little veiled. High freq's are reminicent of bose dual sattelite speakers, clear as day. They are hooked up with 18g. demo wires that look and feel rather pathetic. The wires run through a confusing splitter used to seperate the signal for a button punch menu so customers can listen to different speakers and styles of music. The whole contrived tangle runs to a 720watt Yamaha 5590 reciever.

In a nut shell there is simply no way to find the speakers true range in this configuration. So if anyone has any experience with the history, technology, or just overall "feel" of JBL studio and what it SHOULD be connected to (amp, cables, etc.) for great 2ch. please give me a line on it - strong feelings for or against welcomed.

My budget isn't top notch by any means but I it would be my first foray into this technology as a hobby and the discount is just daunting.

Overall I listen to indie-rock and jazzy hardcore yet I have always wanted to here the prog-rock stylings of TOOL in true form - through speakers that can handles the power and innuendo (sp?) of their lengthy tracks. I also enjoy some blues and industrial, hip-hop of the Talib-kwali and Common vein and ska.

I love my movies too. Good range in both formats would be ideal to anyone but I straddle both sides of that particular juncture. Thanks for reading this far and I look forward to the usual informed and discerning responses!

-Chris L.
sol5960015e

Showing 3 responses by sol5960015e

Ouch. Okay let's turn this around a bit? No brick walls here people, first thing first. I'm trying to learn terminoligy such as is not provided to the joe anybody. I'm not set on a reciever in the least. I'm trying to filter the "Home Theatre" crap from my head every day and I'm no slow learner. That means seeking the tech out there in the great sea of misinformation that accuratly reproduces the sounds I already love and those I hadn't the tools to appreciate before now. I, for instance will now seek out info on monitors, not "GIGANTOR-EXPLOSIVE(speaker)-STUFF ala' JBL! So thank you so far for this slightly more blunt advice. Spend more money? Once I find the right mix of amp/preamp/monitor I will have found my price point and will then be much more prepared for the process of saving, a process everyone seeking a passion is very familiar with.
I have heard Definitive before and liked what I heard. Totem seems absolutely well designed and well recieved. PBS I am familiar with by name and will try to find in the flesh so that I might get a little more comparison standard for the others. I think I know much more for unlearning the mainstream in corresponding with AGon members. It really helps me to get past reviews and "shiny" pleasantries and just get into the aural attraction of what a good system is.

Sean's comments were a bit painful to the old pride initially. Also what I needed, so , gratitude in that direction, Sean. Good points all of you. I'm going to do some real listening at the hi-fi shops in town tommorow so I'll keep it all in mind. - Chris L.
No kidding Sean, very loose construction. Impressive? big, yes and semi "shiny". I don't have much interest in impressing anyone so having said that I'll just reiterate that I'm cutting through the surface HT stuff that is out there right now. I'm very interested in a pair of Intermezzo 2.6's as they seem like amazingingly well constructed speakers with a lot of thought put into the contruction and how that plays into the final output. From the specs and reviews I checked out last night Stereophile stated best that for the size mind you (and being completely non-fiber, mostly aluminum) they were clear and highly capable with all but the deepest lows. They seemed to do best hooked into what I believe was a nicely warm, tube reciever and stayed away from sounding metallic throughout the test despite the construction. It just so happens that they ARE pretty too. All that means is that my girlfriend and her cat won't kill me (as slowly) for taking over a room for the sake of placement.

Retailing right around 2k I've found them here for much cheaper so that puts them well within my price. I'm in Seattle so the specialty shops are quite numerous for listening tests. Does NAD make any amps that promote good detail and transparency to match these 2.6's?

"Where do you live? One of us probably lives close enough to help you and quite possibly someone in the group has something in a closet that would get you on the path. There is a ridiculous glut of equipment for sale these days. It's a buyer's market and we've reached a place where things a guy like you might need to launch his disease are available very cheaply."

-VERY good point Macrojack and I have checked out the browse section of AudioGon and found unbelievable prices. Terminology is seeming to come together as something more than latin finally so soon I should be able to do the math on what the "right setup" for me is by finding tech that reproduces that one unique variable, what each listener indeed listens too.
Thanks again, Chris

Ouch. Okay let's turn this around a bit? No brick walls here people, first thing first. I'm trying to learn terminoligy such as is not provided to the joe anybody. I'm not set on a reciever in the least. I'm trying to filter the "Home Theatre" crap from my head every day and I'm no slow learner. That means seeking the tech out there in the great sea of misinformation that accuratly reproduces the sounds I already love and those I hadn't the tools to appreciate before now. I, for instance will now seek out info on monitors, not "GIGANTOR-EXPLOSIVE(speaker)-STUFF ala' JBL! So thank you so far for this slightly more blunt advice. Spend more money? Once I find the right mix of amp/preamp/monitor I will have found my price point and will then be much more prepared for the process of saving, a process everyone seeking a passion is very familiar with.
I have heard Definitive before and liked what I heard. Totem seems absolutely well designed and well recieved. PBS I am familiar with by name and will try to find in the flesh so that I might get a little more comparison standard for the others. I think I know much more for unlearning the mainstream in corresponding with AGon members. It really helps me to get past reviews and "shiny" pleasantries and just get into the aural attraction of what a good system is.

Sean's comments were a bit painful to the old pride initially. Also what I needed, so , gratitude in that direction, Sean. Good points all of you. I'm going to do some real listening at the hi-fi shops in town tommorow so I'll keep it all in mind. Discount be damned, I'm going to find some nice audio. - Chris L.