Mordaunt Short MS-100 or ADS L470

I'm deciding whether to buy a pair of used Mordaunt Short MS-100 or ADS L470 speakers. Both are being sold for approx. $50 a piece. I was hoping to go without a sub, and understand that the MS may be a little light on the lower end, but the ADS are pretty smooth throughout a fairly wide frequency range. Cosmetically, the ADS may be in slighlty better condition and am leaning toward that direction. Opinion?
hackienet

Showing 1 response by paraneer

I can't comment on the Mordaunt Shorts but I do know ADS L series speakers. These were phenominal speakers in the 80's and still highly desired by many HIFI enthusiasts today. If they are in better cosmetic condition than the Mordaunts, then you are leaning the right way. Grab them quick at $50. They were $325 a pair in 1980. What is that in todays dollars?

The butyl rubber surrounds will last forever and the woofers will produce generous amounts of well defined deep bass. The soft dome tweeters are sweet and silky smooth.

How do I know? I have an almost mint pair of ADS L520's that I purchased new many years ago. One step up from the 470's. I use them in a secondary system and they compare favorably to my Vienna Bach Grands in my main system. 30 years old and sound as great as they did when I bought them new.