Monoblock suggestions to compare to SimAudio Moon Neo 400M?

When I read this forum, I am amazed at the recommendations you all give, because I feel like I've read so much here I should know most brands. Yet, nearly every time, someone makes a solid recommendation of something I've never heard or read about.  So, I've almost settled on the Moon by SimAudio Neo 400M monoblocks as my amps, but do you have suggestions of others to consider?  

PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp
PS Audio Direct Stream Memory Player
PS Audio Direct Stream DAC
Sutherland Phono Loco phono stage
Luxman PD-171A turntable with Jelco 850 arm and Hana ML cartridge 
Wilson Sabrina or Yvette (TBD)

Other amps I've considered:
Bryston 7B3
Bel Canto Design RF600M
Van Austin DAVE SET 600
Benchmark AHB2 (pair)

I've seem some of you dig in and really research your answers, and I want to say "thank you" for the time you often take.  
kcpellethead

Showing 2 responses by auxinput

Actually, for those Wilsons, the Pass Labs amps might actually work out the best.  The Wilsons are a very dynamic speaker, sometimes overly dynamic and can sound too harsh/bright - the dynamics can easily get out of hand.  The Pass Labs have excellent resolution, but they are a very controlled sound and are just not as dynamic/exciting as other amps.  The Pass Labs will be much more neutral and realistic than the SimAudio.  The Pass Labs do not have that "visceral grunt" coloration of the SimAudio.
I would avoid the Bryston 7B3 amps in your situation.  They are very nice amps, but they are just going to be too fast and thin sounding when compared to your preferred "Simaudio" sound.  Definitely a bad pairing for the Wilson's as well (which can be bright/harsh with the wrong electronics).

The SimAudio is definitely good stuff.  I think it has a sort of visceral grunt in the lower mids and midbass as well as a good depth of sound (ethereal you could say).  The closest amp that I remember hearing to this sonic signature are the Boulder amps.  You might like the new Krell and Levinson but they are much smoother and liquidy sounding in comparison to the dryer sounding SimAudio.

The PS Audio BHK is a very smooth amp, but it is slightly laid back.   I would say that it's very close to the ARC sound.

The JC1 amps are also very nice and very refined, but they are soft in the high frequencies.  I would say they are more natural sounding than the SimAudio, but they do not have that "midbass visceral grunt" or the high frequency extension that the SimAudio provides.

Somehow I think that amps designed to be mono would sound better than amps that are bridged to be mono.

Dedicated mono amps may or may not sound better than bridged-mono amps.  But one thing is for certain.  Bridged-mono amps will not be able to support lower impedance speakers as well.  The Benchmark indicates that it will support a 6 ohm load when bridge (which is really good), but many speakers will have impedances that drop down below 4 ohm in certain frequency areas.  It's never a good idea to buy a stereo amp "just to bridge it".

So, in the end, there are many good amps out there and there is no "best" amp.  It all depends on your "taste of sound", lol.