Monitors with Built In Center Channels

Center channel placement is an issue for me in one of my HT systems that is located in a built in.  Currently the cc resides above the TV.   The cc takes some space as well, limiting me to a 55 inch screen where a 65 inch would otherwise fit.  Dialog improved considerably when I added an AVR with room correction but I was reading a review of a Sony OLED with a built in cc.  As I understood it the entire monitor is a cc with the sound emanating from the screen.  Theoretically this should be possible with either planar magnetic or electrostatic type membranes but the review and what I Googled are fairly mum on this.  Does anyone have experience with such a monitor?
mahler123

Showing 4 responses by mahler123

Built in stays, if I wanted to could get rid of it I wouldn’t have started this thread.  I realize that a Cc coming from the TV itself won’t give much bass, but I figure that’s what the subs are for.
well, we all hear differently, but I've tried not using a center and I can't understand dialog at all.  I have found the existance of the center channel, and then the positioning  of that channel,crucial to understanding speech.
  I also didn't interpret the review as sayingthat the TV MOnitor was vastly inferior to the front speaks, but as relatively close.  Considering that I am asking it to do one thing-transmit speech only-- relatively close might carry the day.  I guess that I need to find a dealer that sells this and see what I think in the showroom, and hope that the trial is a reasonable approximation of what I have at home.  I have found in the past that discussing sound issues with TV Sales People is a lost cause

My dealer told me that he has another customer who is also interested in the same issue, and since the dealer now is carrying Sony TVs, he ordered one of the models for a demo and will call me for a visit.  I will report back