Monitors for $1500-$2000 with NAD320BEE Integrated

I'm using a pair of Triangle Titus speakers which I like very much but I'll be ready soon to upgrade to even better sounding speakers. I doubt if I'll upgrade my integrated amp which is rated at 50wpc. Your recommendations? Many thanks...
bmatth3790

Showing 2 responses by bmatth3790

Thanks for all your suggestions. The room I have the NAD/Triangle system has terrible acoustics--speakers with good bass sound so boomy I can't use them in that room--so I use stand-mounted monitors and they sound "OK". For example, I got some used Vandersteen 2's on Audiogon and they were unlistenable there...I had to move them to my bedroom. I also have some AR3's and some Large Advents, all with same results. Rearranging furniture or other fixes for the room are out of the question so I have to live with the room limitations and when I want to listen most critically I go to my bedroom where the Vandy's are paired with a Creek integrated. What's "better sounding?"--something in between my Triangle Tituses and my Vandersteens. (The Triangles sound marvelous in my bedroom, and it's not just because of the Creek...I've had the NAD hooked up to them in my bedroom)...Thanks...and keep on suggesting! I can use the help!
Bob--You are right. The room is about 26 ft long and 14 ft wide, with cathedral ceiling that rises to 23 ft at peak, with an open loft (study) above on one end. Lots of synthetic stone on walls and hardwood floors. Only two upholstered items are a sofa and chair. There's a 10 x 14 rug near the middle. Speakers are along the long wall. I can only set them out about 2 ft from the wall. I listen from about 3 ft from the opposite wall.

My first attempt at having some decent sound in the room was about 15 yrs ago when I set up an NHT subwoofer with the neat little NHT sub zeros that are compatible with that sub. The sub had a separate mono amp. I never did get decent sound and for a long time thought the problem was the subwoofer. I gave up on it and my son now has the system and it sounds reasonably good in his more traditional sized living room.

The NHT subwoofer system had a selection switch for the crossover frequency and of course a volume control. Even fooling around with controls and moving the sub a little (couldn't move it a lot)I never got anything satisfactory and dismantled the system. Either too boomy or too little bass. No compromise. Neither the AR3 nor the Large Advent sound good in the room as mentioned earlier. I have a pair of Spica SC30's that sound decent but not good enough....not as good as when used in a different room. I slightly prefer the Triangles to the Spicas. Am I convincing myself that it's a lost cause in this odd-dimensioned living room. It might be. But please, pass on your thoughts. Many thanks....Bill