Monitor Audio Silver 8 - Power Handling

I have a question regarding the power handling of the Silver 8s.  I am using a Emotiva EPA-2 Get 2 amp which is rated 300w/ch for 8ohm and 500w/ch 4ohm.  The Silver 8s indicate power handling of up to 200 watts...am I in danger of putting too much power through to them?  I've had them now for about 9 months with no issues but certainly don't want to create a problem. 

Thanks

Jason
jdekehoe
JD, I used to have an all Emotiva system. ERC-1, XPA-3 and for preamp a XDA-1. It was kind of harsh sounding at higher volumes and it didn’t have the best sound stage with Paradigm Signature speakers.

One would think that Emotiva has upped their game since about 2010, but the thing I have against them is that their owner/president is a business first guy instead of being an audio first guy. That’s why they released the UMC-1, which was a disaster as a processor. Many of their new items released have had bugs, quirks, and things that shouldn’t happen. They announce an upcoming product, and then run into repeated delays trying to get it to market. They introduce new lines/products, and then retire them within 2 years. Their UPA amp line. The XPR amp line. The old subwoofer line, cable lines, it goes on and on.

Anyway, I found a sizeable improvement by replacing the Emotiva amp with a Parasound Halo A21. Nicer highs, tighter more accurate bass, and the midrange produces gorgeous sounding vocals. But the XSP-1 will have a lot to say about the sound too.

I wouldn’t worry about the wattage issue you mentioned unless you like it really loud. If you have a smart phone of some type, you should be able to find a sound or decibel meter app which will tell you how loud it is at your seating position. Your speakers are 90 db. That means at 1 meter distance, they will produce a volume of 90 decibels with one watt. At your seating position 6 feet away, one watt of power will generate a volume of about 84 decibels.

To get 3 decibels louder you need to turn up the volume until the system is pumping out double the wattage, to 2 watts, for 87 decibels. Double it again to 4 watts, 90 decibels. 8 watts will produce 93 decibels with your speakers at your seating distance.

So the question is, what decibel level are you listening to? For most people, 90 decibels is pretty loud, even too loud. I prefer to listen in the 70’s range.  For you to be over powering your speakers, the volume level at your seating position would be in excess of 110 decibels, run from the room crazy loud.

If you have any buddies with systems, have a listen to compare to yours. Go to audio stores with music you are familiar with and audition other gear. This will give you a better idea about what you’ve got now.
Thanks for the insight 213runnin!  I have been looking at the Halo A21 as a possible upgrade to the Emotiva. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.  Did you replace the XSP-1 in your system as well?

I tend to agree with you regarding Emotiva's "business first model". It was a great (i.e. Affordable) way for me to get the components I needed but I think upgrades are in order for the future. Definitely want to maximize the Silver 8s. 
jdekehoe, I never did have the XSP-1 due to Emotiva’s long delays in getting it to market. I used the XDA-1, which they advertised as a digital preamp when they released it.

I actually sold off the Parasound gear, a P7 as well as the A21, when I changed to Tannoy speakers among other things. But I found that I miss the excellent highs from the A21 that my current Nad amp doesn’t have. That and the precise placement of vocals in the soundstage. I’ll be getting back into the Halo gear, but this time in the black that wasn’t available when I bought them the first time.

Ah, good to know.  What preamp are you currently using?
I would love to compare the Parasound Halo A21 to the Bel Canto Ref1000M mk 2, and the Bryston 4B3.  

Anything other amps (stereo or monos) anyone would recommend for the Silver 8s (and classical music) under $4k.
I moved to a smaller room with the speaker change, and currently have a Nad integrated, the C375BEE.  It has great bang for buck, but I find I'm missing the superior high end detail of the Halo stuff.  I remember how the vocal would be precisely set in the middle with some tracks, whereas the Nad approximates it more in a 2-3 foot placement.  Odd that I would notice this, but perhaps Parasound has ruined me for cheaper gear!

I'd say Bel Canto or Bryston would be good options from what I've read, though I've not heard any directly.