Monitor Audio Pl 300ii vs. KEF Reference 5

I own the KEF Reference 5s.  I borrowed the Monitor Audio Pl300 ii speakers for comparison, which is still under way.  Thoughts so far:  Both are good speakers.  The KEFs provide a lot of detail.  Listening to classical music, you can hear orchestral instruments and sections pretty clearly.  Background and counter melodies can be identified. Piano music is very realistic.  The MAs do not provide as much instrumental detail but they do have a more mellow, deeper, broader sound.  Which is better is really a matter of personal choice.  As I said, I’m still listening so these are some quick preliminary reactions.  More later.  
fast

Showing 6 responses by yyzsantabarbara

@fast Interested in your results. I am looking at the KEF Reference 3 vs the MA PL200 II for a smallish office.
@bo1972 
I am looking at both the MA PL200ii and PL300ii for a small room, 16 x 14 or 11 x 13. I was reading in the Stereophile review that the reviewer found the 300ii worked well in the 16 x 14 room (he ended up buying the speaker). Though in the following UK review they suggest a bigger room is required for the 300ii,

https://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/platinum-pl300-ii/review

Can you give some feedback as to the SMALLEST room one could use for the 300ii and 200ii?

What SS amplification do you like to use with them?

I will be listening to these speakers and a few others shortly but want to gather info before I do so. Thanks.
@bo1972  I will keep that in mind about the Blades. However, getting back to my original question about room dimensions for the Monitor Audio speakers. What are the room size guidelines you follow for placing a 200ii, 300ii, and 500ii?
@bo1972 The reason I have included the 200ii in my search is because of comments by owners that it sounds like the KEF Blade a very holographic speaker. That is one that places the performers and instruments in identifiable positions (if they were recorded like that). The Blade sounds like live music to me with the ability to visual the performance. If I can find a smaller speaker to have the same holographic ability I will get it. I am going to get this for my office which will be on the small size. I am getting the Blades later for the family room.

I am going to audition the following speakers in a month or 2 in S. Cal. Luckily, all I want to hear are available in a relatively short driving distance.

Monitor Audio PL200ii (same store has PL 300ii)
KEF Ref 1 and KEF Ref 5 (same store as PL 200ii)
Focal Kanta2 (same store are PL 200ii)
Vivid Audio Kaya 45
Magico A3
Totem Tribe Tower (maybe)

I currently have the Audience 1+1 V2 speakers powered by Benchmark DAC3 + Benchmark AHB2 amp. However, I am likely going to get a Luxman 509x integrated for the office so that I can run either the Audience speakers and whatever new floorstander I buy. With the flick of a front panel switch I can run either set of connected speakers. If the new floorstander is short enough in height the Audience speaker will reside on top of it (8 lbs) . If it is too tall I will use dedicated stands for the Audience speaker. The Monitor Audio 200ii is short enough to pull this trick off the others on my list are not.

The Benchmark gear will move to the family room for the Blades or maybe a bedroom.
@fast Thanks for the advice. I love the KEF sound and I am trying my best to not buy the KEF;s for my office floorstander. The reason being I already have the LS50 in the bedroom and will have the Blade in the living room. Funny thing is I have not been able to located te KEF REF 3 anywhere locally to audition. Though I have heard the 1 and 5. I am looking forward to my Autumn speaker auditions. The office speaker(s) will be the one I listen to the most since I work from home.
@bo1972 I understand that English is not your first language but your passion for audio come through to me. Thanks for taking your valuable time to converse.

@audiotroy  I cannot make it to NYC area due to having a toddler to take care of. Going to L.A. shops will also take some planning but are only day trips. Some good shops out here too. However, saying all of that, I do intend to buy something from your shop in the future.You have provided tons of insight to me over the years with your posts  and I would like to do something for that. Maybe the Blade2 purchase in the future when my toddler is less curious about my audio gear and I have the living room space.