Monitor Audio Pl 300ii vs. KEF Reference 5

I own the KEF Reference 5s.  I borrowed the Monitor Audio Pl300 ii speakers for comparison, which is still under way.  Thoughts so far:  Both are good speakers.  The KEFs provide a lot of detail.  Listening to classical music, you can hear orchestral instruments and sections pretty clearly.  Background and counter melodies can be identified. Piano music is very realistic.  The MAs do not provide as much instrumental detail but they do have a more mellow, deeper, broader sound.  Which is better is really a matter of personal choice.  As I said, I’m still listening so these are some quick preliminary reactions.  More later.  
fast

Showing 1 response by sutts

@fast- good topic.  I heard the big PL500II's a while back locally here in Toronto area.  Whilst I could appreciate them from all the audiophile check boxes, for some reason they didn't gel for me into a complete package- I can't explain it.  They were a good deal, and my BAT VK-150 SE's and Rex II preamp were a great match with them, but I wasn't convinced enough to purchase.  Remember the X-Files?  'I want to believe' but something holding me back... I also heard the Kef Ref One's at another local dealer and really liked them- especially the wide dispersion staging- they appear very well made and had some addictive sound qualities.  Best of luck with your decision!

+1 Bensturgeon- thanks for saying what I have been thinking about 'Bo' this entire thread.  It almost feels like receiving 'spam' reading his multitude of non sequitur paragraphs...

@audiotroy   My local dealer has had a pair of trade in Blade 1's for a long time.  Can my BAT VK-150SE's, or Merrill Veritas monos both be able to drive these guys?  Also- they are saying I need to be at least about 10+ feet away from them for ideal listening- in your experience can the listener be any closer than that?  thanks!