Modwright SWL9.0 SE Tube Rolling

I'm using TungSol 5687 tubes as supplied by Modwright in my SWL9.0SE. They are very linear and extended with deep bass, however they have little midrange bloom.

Has anyone rolled other tubes in the SWL9.0SE? If so, would you please describe their tonal characteristics?
128x128tvad

Showing 2 responses by leatherneck1812

I bought a Modwright sony 999ES and it came with an extra set of cryoed Phillips 7119/E182CC. I preffered them so much in the Sony that I tried them in my SWL 9.0. They are (in my system) not even in the same league as the originals or others I have rolled. The soundstage moved back and became much more defined and wider, while improving midrange bloom. Female vocals and individual instruments float so delicatly in the air betwen my speakers on soft passages, that with eyes closed I can feel thier presence in the room.

I have been following this thread and picked up a pair of Sylvania GB-5687 and even after 3 days of continous playing I couldn't sit and listen to them. Very etched on top. So much air around voices and instruments is sounded like snakes hissing, although they did settle down from when new, they over exaggerate the highs and midrange in both Modwright pieces in my system.

I also tried them in my sony with the same results so went back to the JAN5687 in the sony.

I have another pair of the cryoed Phillips 7119/E182CC on order to see if pairing them in both pieces is too much or an improvement.

Just my 2 cents

Russ
Tantra,

I bought my modded 999ES on here used so I can't compare to the stock unit. The unit I bought has the basic signature truth mods with the Revelation Audio Umbilical Upgrade, it does not have the AC and Slipstream Bybee filter mods, so again I can't speak to that unit. All I can say is I now have far and away the best sounding system I have ever had and the 2 Modwright pieces are what got me there. These two pieces are voiced to go together and the music is intoxicating.