Modwright sony xa5400 vs Modwright Oppo 95

Anyone got a chance to compare modded xa5400 and Oppo 95 units? How would you define the overall sound character of the two? I am using Merlin speakers with ARS filarmonia amplifier. I like to listen Jazz and Classical mainly. Would like to have a great resolution, vocal clarity, focused sound stage and full bodied presentation (..of Piano and string instruments).
Not looking for comparison between stock and modded units.
Please help me decide between the two. Thanks.
celestial_audio
JWM do you think perhaps some if not all or most of the improvement from the 95 to the 105 might be because of the bybee rails which by design lowers the noise floor in the dc power? Just curious how much that may be a factor in addition to further refinements by Dan of the power supply itself. Lowering noise 45db, according to Bybee should make a substantial improvement in what you noted as the differences. What is your take? Has anyone compared the Modwright 95 to Modwright 105, both with Bybee rails installed?
How is Modwright 105 SPDIF inputs (use as standalone dac)? I assume most of you are using it as CD player or through a flash drive.
I just got my ModWright a few days ago, and have to concur with all the great things said. And I was coming from a $18K GNSC modded Wadia S7i and a $32K Burmester 089 CDP. My ModWright 105 blows it out the door. Dan hit this out of the ballpark. It sounds organic, transparent and with that beautiful tube magic. The ModWright 105, IMHO, is the best sounding source I have heard in my system.
You are right, Jfz. For 2ch analog out , bybee rail goes for each channel ie L&R. No point putting them for MCH.
I assume if one is only going to listen to 2 CH, there is no advantage to getting a Bybee Rail on the MCH DAC? I realize that sounds like a stupid question, but thought I would ask anyway - audio being weird and all.
Thanks for any insight you have.
No mods except the Bybee rails. I'm using the same tubes in the new unit as my old one. The two 13EM7 are stock tubes as I don't have new old stock tubes of them.
JWM,
Did you add any other mods besides the Bybee? Are you using the stock tubes and power cords? Did you request the "hole'' for a potential taller rectifier tube?
Hey Jeff(JWM), you too Charles, let's be clear on this, you both kinda like the new MW/Oppo 105? Your comments were sorta vague.
Thanks Jwm and Charles1dad. This is very exciting. How is the base response compared to 95? Let us know how it changes over time..
I also heard the Modwright OPPO 105 and it clearly betters the modified 95 (which I really enjoyed).It is an improvement in all parameters.The most noticeable are an increased transparency, resolution and a more open spacious sound.In addition this unit has an increased organic-natural character. Music is powerful yet with sense of ease flow.The 95 was very good, the modified 105 has advanced to an entirety superior level.There's more emotion communication which is for me a high level compliment.
Regards,
The Modright Oppo 105 blows the doors off the Modright Oppo 95. I only have 30 hours on the player and if it did not break in any more I would be pleased like a pig in mud. This player is way more organic in the mids, much quieter, more dynamic, and the pace is much faster. The soundstage is huge with much better image outlines. Dan hit this one out of the ball park. The Oppo 95 is much slower much more lean in the mids. Thank you Dan you did it again.
The Sony is superior to any Oppo player for 2 channel in my book. The Oppo still imparts it's "processor" sound on the music.
i've listened to ge, rca (brown base), several sylvanias, gold
aero and tung sol. they all provide a slightly different presentation--especially, resolution and frequency response and tonality.

my favorite is the rca because of its richness. the brimar is most balanced, in that it is on the neutral side, with a slight touch of warmth. it certainly provides enough detail, without emphasizng the treble.

i would like to hear a mullard someday.
I am also very interested to hear what you think of the 105 vis a vis the 95!
So, what 6SN7/rectifier tube is your favorite in Modwright Oppo? How would you rank them?
I liked Sylvania VT231 and Create Audio rectifier in MW oppo 95.
I am wondering if any body compared Shuguang CV181-Z or Psvane CV181-T tubes to popular NOS tubes like TSRP, KenRad, RCA grey, Sylvania 6sn7W etc..
I will get the modded 105 unit mid Feb. Ordered with bybee rail and audio magic pulse gen. Jwm, I am also very I interested in hearing your impressions of 105 compared to 95. Thanks.
Jwm, I will be wanting to hear from you as your 105 breaks in. I plan to go for the 105 if it is indeed a substantial upgrade over the ModWright
Sony.
I'll let you know as my modwright oppo 105 is coming tomorrow. I also had the modwright sony and still have the modwright oppo 95. I also added the Bybee rails to the new Oppo.
To my ears, I preferred Modwright Oppo 95 over Modwright Sony XA5400 in my system (bought both and compared them side by side) . Given the potential of modded Oppo units, I will swing for 105 as this will serve as DAC as well. I liked the openness and sense of increased sound stage of sony unit but liked rest everything in Oppo 95 (rich midrange, body of instruments, imaging etc). Talking to Dan, Oppo 105 is open and detailed like sony while keeping the signature sound of 95. Could be a real winner..
Wig, I talked to Dan last week (email actually). He pretty much indicated what is in his blog on the 105 vs the 95 also applies to the 105 vs the Sony. I also asked him to compare use of the modded 105 to the sony with digital in as a DAC. He indicated he had not really done a careful a/b between the two as a DAC.
If I were not interested in DAC capability, I would probably hold on to my Sony. I think if you are buying new, the 105 is a no-brainer.
12-20-12: Dave_b
Modwright has a special this weekend only...I just ordered my second XA5400ES full mod wt Truth Umbilical and Bybee purifiers for the AC rails:) I made the mistake of selling my first one and have lamented ever since:( There will be music again, sometime near the middle of January!!
Dave_b (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)
Dan is taking orders on MW Oppo 105 and I would wait for owner reviews before ordering a XA5400.

There's an AC thread and appears 105 is a BIG winner.
Dave_b, I remember when you sold it. I had a feeling it would be a regret.
I love my Modwright 999se. It has the Signature Truth with a Truth Umbilical. Very musical.
Modwright has a special this weekend only...I just ordered my second XA5400ES full mod wt Truth Umbilical and Bybee purifiers for the AC rails:) I made the mistake of selling my first one and have lamented ever since:( There will be music again, sometime near the middle of January!!
I've experimented with several receptacles and Modwright CDP's and PS sound best plugged into a Oyaide R1. YMMV.
I've got a sweet modwright xa5400 with the truth mods, etc. I'd like to sell if anyone is interested. [email protected]
Rhyno - If you are interested I have a less than 6 months old MW Oppo 95 with every mod available on it for sale!
E-mail me at [email protected] if anyone interested.
Any break in time with mod by Modwright? Stock Oppo takes forever to break in (currently at 250 hr) and I seriously hope I don't have to go through that process again.
Kzhtoo, Google Modwright and research everything you need.
There is a lot of info about these mods.
Newbie question. I'm currently thinking of getting an Oppo 95 and came across this thread. What are these "modifications" being discussed here? From what I can understand Dan from Modwright does some mods to Sony 5400 and Oppo 95 and they are marvelous.

How do I get these "mods" from Dan?
What is the cost?
just in case anyone is interested in a trade, am thinking of offering to trade my MW 5400 for a MW Oppo 95 (and only the MW oppo 95). will throw in spare laser assembly (which i bought thinking i'd keep the 5400 forever---which i may; only doing it to add multi-format for maybe turning my audio room into A/V)

unit is NOT for sale. only a MW oppo 95 owner with good feedback need reply. all others, no thanks!

mahalo
Does anyone know if using the variable audio output control - turning down the 95s output - degrades the sound. This has certainly been the case in the past with CD players. I thought I'd read somewhere that this was not the case with the 95, however.
I'm extremely satisfied with my MW 5400 and have no desires on trying any other players since I have heard many of my friends mega dollar units.
It must have made quite an impression on you at the show. When you get the upgrade bug let me know. :)
By the way how much was the last upgrade you had done with the Bybee and audio magic?
It's awesome equipment but I'm moving to a tube integrated amp. I bought my 5400 after one of the audio shows already modded.
Are you upgrading? I saw that you had them for sale. Did you have the 5400 before it was Modded? If so what changes did you notice the most?
Wig
You are so excited that I wanna box up my stock 5400 and send it in right now!
What type of pre/amp are you using? My recent pre upgrade made the redbook sound almost the same as the sacd playback. In fact I probably prefer the r/b due to the fact that it sounds a bit warmer.
Modwright added the Bybee rails to the dac and Audio Magic Gen ZX within the chasis to combat RFI/EMI to my MW Sony 5400. The unit was already superb but now it's Magical!

The first thing you will notice is a very transparent sound with deeper and wider soundstage that is organic and natural sounding. I listen to alot of acoustic guitar, violin, cello and piano music. I can clearly hear the hammer from the piano returning back to the assembly,with notes that are airy and appears to be floating in my room no where near the boundaries of the speakers. Fingering of notes are so lifelike you would think you are part of the show.

Guitar, violin and cello are my favorite and the sound is rich and vibrant, hearing the string and body of the instrument is unbelievable. The best way I can describe the difference is you are pulled in on an emotional level.
The music is so engaging you can feel the artist emotion and mood.

My boys are classical pianist and love Einaudi Ludovico, played this cd and they came running in and asked what did I do? Needless to say, I spent the next hour standing up listening while they took their turns in the sweetspot. The sound was beautiful standing, and listening from another room which reminded me of the Thiels 2.2 speakers which piano sounded so real from another room.

I really can't think of another mod that will bring you this type of satisfaction without spending $$$'s and only give you a fraction of the performance of Bybee music rails and Audio Magic Gen ZX module. You will get a sharper image, wider/deeper soundstage, much faster transients, longer decay notes and a satisfying musical experience.

It feels like I'm at a live performance everytime I sit down to listen and boy, what a joy!

My compliments to Dan and his team for a job well done!

Wig
i'll mention i just did something made a large difference in resolution: i put the sony chassis power cord on a transformer-based conditioner, and the analog power supply on a passive (ala straight to the wall). this makes sense as the draw of the sony is minimal..trannys wont hurt dynamics in this case.
Wig,

More details please. What specifically did you have done and who did the work etc.....