Modwright Platinum Truth Sony 999ES

Which players out there today under $6k will outperform the Modwright Platinum Truth Sony 999ES in 2 channel reproduction? Thanks for the suggestions.
kmiller5

Showing 3 responses by 1markr

Not many, if you have the "right" tubes and the "right" umbilical. Hint...the T-Sols and the Silver umbilical are not the "right" stuff. Of course, imho, and a few others!
Thanks Alvin, glad you are enjoying your Modwright 999ES.

Maril,
I don't have experience with Modwright's 3910, but I have owned he 999ES and now have the 9000ES. Assuming that the power supply and tube stage is the same, then I would think that the results would be the same.

Tubes are very subjective to your ears and your system. In my system, on the 9000ES I have great success with GE JAN 7044s. Another tube that works very well is the Philips SQ E182CC, a little more detailed and extended than the 7044, but not quite the midrange of the 7044. Either way, both of these run circles around the T-Sols in my system.

The umbilical of choice is made from cryo'ed Jena Labs stranded copper wire, terminated with Neutrik connectors. It makes for a more dimensional soundstage, and adss an analog-like naturalness to the midrange and extremes that the silver does not do, at half the cost. In a word, it adds "musicality" to the player.
Let me add one more thing that I forgot about...

Power cords have made a positive difference for me in the Modwrights as well.

I like a VD Nite II or a Xindak Gold on the 9000ES itself, and the Poiema III fits the bill on the power supply.

I hear that Purist Audio Dominus are very good matches for both positions, but they are too rich for my blood, and I haven't heard them yet.