Modwright Oppo 105

I received my Modwright Oppo 105 today. It sounds good, but is relatively lean - and not very extended - in the bass. The sound overall is missing a fullness and organic quality that I associate with tubes as well. I have been using an Exemplar modified Denon 3910 for years, and so far I prefer it. Naturally, I am quite surprised and disappointed so far. I will be patient and put more hours on it, of course. I am very familiar with "break-in." Dan burned it in for 72 hours or more, but I have only put another 5 hours or so on it so far.

Has anyone else had this reaction/experience? Maybe it is the Electro-Harmonix tubes, and I need to try something else? I am also wondering about Dan's use of silver wiring. Thanks for any thoughts you have.

jfz

Showing 2 responses by mrtennis

i have a modwright modded 83 se, including the tube circuit (2 6sn7s) and the tube rectified outboard power supply,

the unit is very tube sensitive. i have tried several 6sn7 tubes from different manufactureres.

i find the rca brown base gives a very-full bodied presentation.

perhaps you may be using ge or sylvania tubes which are not as warm as say, rca, mullard or brimar.

if you think that there is a problem, as you have described, make sure you get a competent tech to evaluate it, or send it back to modwright.
in my response , i mentioned some suggestions. i have tried several sylvanias, of different vintage, audio aero, ge, tungsol, brimar and rca.

as i said,if you want warmth get a brown base rca.

consult a tube seller to ascertain the propper vintage. older tubes (50's and 40's) are generally warmer than later tubes (late 60's and beyond).

i am very pleased with the use of the brown bas rcas. i also liked an early tungsol.

the brimar, although not as warm, is balanced as to frequency response, with enough resolution for my taste, but not hot in the treble. it has extension in the base, but i find the rcas give me more bloom and have a more classic tube sound.

try experimenting with tubes. if i were you i would stay away from ge and sylvania. i have not tried mullard (very pricey), but they have an excellent reputation.