Modifying Philharmonic 3 crossovers

Hi, everyone I'm new to modding so I'm going to need a bit of help. I have a pair of Philharmonic 3 speakers and I see that they have Claritycap PX capacitors and I'd like to  change them out with Claritycap's new CMR line up although I'm not sure how to start. I see that two of the capacitors are rated at 20uf & 250Vdc although there aren't any CMR caps that are rated at 20uf only 18 and 22uf and 400Vdc. I'd like to upgrade the capacitors although I'm not sure how I would proceed. I would very much appreciate advice on this topic. Thanks!
128x128jonny1080

Showing 11 responses by jonny1080

Thank you very much for the insight timlub. Also, just curious about the uf so for example if two caps have the same uf rating then it should be ok to interchange between them without messing up the crossover, right?
Thanks for your advice dasign! I was also wondering about the various voltages of the claritycap capasitors. Does the voltage make a difference?
Wow, Thanks for finding the CMR 20uF model Erik, You're a life saver! I'll definitely make a note of the advice regarding the capacitor. I have a few more questions. I heard the CSA caps from claritycap sounds phenominal with bass. Would anyone say that there are better caps for bass than the Clarity CSA?
Based on my research, I don't believe I have any electrolytic caps in the crossover, just solen 400v PB series Polypropylene fast caps and for the mids & highs there are clarity PX series caps.
I'm not sure what you mean by "in pass through".
Hahaha, I'll definitely keep the size and weight of the CMR in mind.

Also, I see that for the mids & highs there are two caps. LOL, is it ok to mix and match brands?
That article was very informative Erik, thanks! Okay, so if the caps are in serial then stick with the same caps, got it. How about one type of caps for the tweeter and one type for midrange?
Hi Erik, I already purchased an 100uf clarity CSA capacitor to replace a Solen fast capacitor of the same farad rating for the bass. I just now ordered two 20uf clarity CMR capacitors to replace two clarity PX capacitors of the same rating for the mid. I also just now purchased a clarity CMR 3.3uf and 5.6uf capacitors to replace two clarity PX capacitors of the same rating for the highs. I was wondering about something though, there is a Solen 50uf capacitor that connects to both the two 20uf caps in serial and the 3.3/5.6 in serial. I want to replace the solen 50uf with another CMR capacitor although there aren't any 50uf CMRs. Would placing a 15/15/20uf capacitors in parallel be ok? Lol, I know, purchasing a 50uf clarity CSA would be a lot easier(and cheaper) although I'd like to keep it all CMRs, except for the bass(100uf CSA). What is your suggestion?
Thanks Erik for your help so far in choosing capacitor. Right now I'm getting all the new Clarity CMRs setup in the crossover and I was wondering about resistors. I looked at Duelund cast resistors because they're not as terribly expensive as their capacitors, although I noticed people saying that it sounds bright(and it uses silver) so I think I'll stay away from those. I heard really good reviews from audio path, vishay, audio note and mills, although I'm not entirely sure which to choose. What I want from the resistors I'm going to buy is for them to be as neutral/natural as possible with lots of resolution & dynamics and won't add brightness/hardness to the sound. Do you have any suggestions Erik? Also, when going through the forums I always see people talking about bypassing with certain caps(ie. jupiter). What do they mean?
Hi, thanks guys for your responses. I'm seeing varying opinions regarding bypassing. Are there down sides to bypassing?
So I just soldered all the Clarity CMRs and CSA capacitor and the Phil 3 speaker sounds fantastic! The speakers sound a lot more 3 dimensional and much more atmospheric and organic. Thank you everyone for the advice and especially to Eric! This would have been much more difficult without you guys' help. I did receive the mills non-inductive resistors and plan on replacing the ones in the speaker this weekend. I hope you guys have a bit more patience but I wanted to know more about inductors. Do they make a big difference like the capacitors? Do you guys have a certain brand that you guys would recommend? From the way that the inductors in my speaker look like, I believe I have ERSE inductors. Are the a good brand?
Thanks for the advice, I do actually have a few iron core inductors, so I may change them out and see what happens.
Thanks your advice Erik, I will soon be purchasing a multi-meter to measure the DC resistance.