Modding the Consonance cd-120 linear

Do any of the usual suspects (Modwright, TRL, etc) work with this player? Has anyone done a particularly succesful DIY mod?
tutordennis

Showing 1 response by trelja

I've given very serious consideration to the idea of forming a relationship with an outfit such as those you listed above to offer a potential upgrade path for the CD120 Linear.

However, after assessing the situation, I've decided against it, and instead recommend moving up to either the Reference CD2.2 MKII or CD120T. Because of their clearly superior power supply (larger toroidal transformer, more capacitance) and output sections (6H30 Supertube output, multiple AuriCaps, RCA and XLR output, volume control), both of these players offer far more real world value than anything we could recommend in terms of modding the CD120 Linear.

Of course, one could argue against moving to an oversampling CD player given the background for the CD120 Linear, but these two players are sonically superior to the overwhelming majority of listeners. And, for those who do strongly adhere to the non-oversampling paradigm, we also offer two CD players which offer that topology with some very tangible upgrades over the CD120 Linear - not that I want to muddy the waters any further, as again, the two players I've just described are my recommendation...

DISCLAIMER: I am the importer/distributor of Opera Audio/Consonance high end audio components in the USA and Canada